Lock please, thanks. Warriors 2011/2012 Thread Up.

yeah, I'm curious about him. I don't follow euro players and all the mock drafts have him going past the warriors. Dude is 7ft and has an offensive game, was wondering if anyone had more insight on him. If he's there at 11 would he be a better option than anyone else that might be there past number 3?

yeah, I'm curious about him. I don't follow euro players and all the mock drafts have him going past the warriors. Dude is 7ft and has an offensive game, was wondering if anyone had more insight on him. If he's there at 11 would he be a better option than anyone else that might be there past number 3?

Wow, Donatas looks pretty good from watching some highlights. I really haven't done any research on the draft this year. IDK who will be the best player at 11.

Wow, Donatas looks pretty good from watching some highlights. I really haven't done any research on the draft this year. IDK who will be the best player at 11.

I guess I'll have to look up Donatas but what about Kenneth Faried, Too similar to Epke?
Also why does Draftexpress have us drafting Alec Burks?? We don't need another guard.
laugh.gif

I guess I'll have to look up Donatas but what about Kenneth Faried, Too similar to Epke?
Also why does Draftexpress have us drafting Alec Burks?? We don't need another guard.
laugh.gif

[h2]Trade Monta Ellis? Jerry West just might be the guy to do it[/h2]
Posted by Tim Kawakami on May 31st, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Categorized as Columns, NBA, Warriors

* Straight from tomorrow morning’s paper, with a topper

-Didn’t get much into the logic for trading Monta Ellis in the following column, other than the obvious need to split Ellis and Stephen Curry to create a better balanced Warriors roster.

I’ll point out now that I respect Ellis, absolutely admire his growth and maturity, acknowledge that he is an offensive genie, and salute him for an excellent season–more disciplined, extended his comfort range to the three-point line…

He could be a monster on a good team, as a 6th man or a great 2-guard paired with a taller, defensive-minded point guard, and the Warriors would be taking a risk by trading him, no doubt.

And I’ll concede that I’ve gone back and forth on the better candidate for the Warriors to trade, Ellis or Curry.

I’ve never doubted that Curry is the more valuable player, it’s just that with Ellis playing at such a high level (but not as valuable in a trade), I suggested a few months ago that maybe the Warriors should maximize Curry’s value in a trade presuming Ellis would not net them much.

But that was before Jerry West’s arrival, before they started looking for a defensive-minded coach, and generally before Joe Lacob’s larger vision seemed to clarify for us.

Curry fits it better because he’s more versatile and because he’s younger–which amplifies why Keith Smart had to go; his tilt towards Ellis, and away from Curry, was not the path to the future.

And I don’t think Ellis quite fits that larger Lacob/West picture. Plus, the arrival of West (and Bob Myers) makes it more likely that the Warriors will be able to find a decent deal for Ellis.

If the Warriors move Ellis for any kind of taller, tougher wing or decent post player (it’d probably be a wing), they can draft Alec Burks or Klay Thompson with their No. 11 pick and suddenly they have a backcourt of Curry, the big rookie, and another tough wing… to add to Dorell Wright at the 3.

That’s a more flexible set of perimeter players and folds into West’s general talk of trading a high-scorer in order to find guys who do other things to fill in the gaps for your team.

Such as: Play defense. Which, I know, has been deemed meaningless by some loud Warriors fans and employees, but is not, actually, meaningless at all.

And yes, I realize this is all very similar to many things I have written for more than two years now, most recently and specifically last January: Ellis and Curry can only take the Warriors so far.

So it goes. Ellis knew it back when Curry was drafted. “Can’t do it.

[h2]Trade Monta Ellis? Jerry West just might be the guy to do it[/h2]
Posted by Tim Kawakami on May 31st, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Categorized as Columns, NBA, Warriors

* Straight from tomorrow morning’s paper, with a topper

-Didn’t get much into the logic for trading Monta Ellis in the following column, other than the obvious need to split Ellis and Stephen Curry to create a better balanced Warriors roster.

I’ll point out now that I respect Ellis, absolutely admire his growth and maturity, acknowledge that he is an offensive genie, and salute him for an excellent season–more disciplined, extended his comfort range to the three-point line…

He could be a monster on a good team, as a 6th man or a great 2-guard paired with a taller, defensive-minded point guard, and the Warriors would be taking a risk by trading him, no doubt.

And I’ll concede that I’ve gone back and forth on the better candidate for the Warriors to trade, Ellis or Curry.

I’ve never doubted that Curry is the more valuable player, it’s just that with Ellis playing at such a high level (but not as valuable in a trade), I suggested a few months ago that maybe the Warriors should maximize Curry’s value in a trade presuming Ellis would not net them much.

But that was before Jerry West’s arrival, before they started looking for a defensive-minded coach, and generally before Joe Lacob’s larger vision seemed to clarify for us.

Curry fits it better because he’s more versatile and because he’s younger–which amplifies why Keith Smart had to go; his tilt towards Ellis, and away from Curry, was not the path to the future.

And I don’t think Ellis quite fits that larger Lacob/West picture. Plus, the arrival of West (and Bob Myers) makes it more likely that the Warriors will be able to find a decent deal for Ellis.

If the Warriors move Ellis for any kind of taller, tougher wing or decent post player (it’d probably be a wing), they can draft Alec Burks or Klay Thompson with their No. 11 pick and suddenly they have a backcourt of Curry, the big rookie, and another tough wing… to add to Dorell Wright at the 3.

That’s a more flexible set of perimeter players and folds into West’s general talk of trading a high-scorer in order to find guys who do other things to fill in the gaps for your team.

Such as: Play defense. Which, I know, has been deemed meaningless by some loud Warriors fans and employees, but is not, actually, meaningless at all.

And yes, I realize this is all very similar to many things I have written for more than two years now, most recently and specifically last January: Ellis and Curry can only take the Warriors so far.

So it goes. Ellis knew it back when Curry was drafted. “Can’t do it.

I really hope that West influences some moves to make this roster better. I am all for trading Ellis for a bigger guard or good frontcourt player, but if the Warriors don't improve their bench, the trade would be pointless.

Do you guys think Jeremy Lin could become a role player like JJ Barea? Haha.

I really hope that West influences some moves to make this roster better. I am all for trading Ellis for a bigger guard or good frontcourt player, but if the Warriors don't improve their bench, the trade would be pointless.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

no. lin is really lucky he is even on the squad.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

no. lin is really lucky he is even on the squad.

It's funny because when Lin played on the Mavs' summer league squad, Mavs fans on RealGM were saying he could replace Barea. Don't think they would say that now
laugh.gif

But they're totally different players. Lin doesn't have his offensive game, while Barea doesn't have Lin's defense (serious).

It's funny because when Lin played on the Mavs' summer league squad, Mavs fans on RealGM were saying he could replace Barea. Don't think they would say that now
laugh.gif

But they're totally different players. Lin doesn't have his offensive game, while Barea doesn't have Lin's defense (serious).

Back
Top Bottom