|| LocK Dis Up ||

How Many Games Do You Project The Lakers Will Win This Season?

• 15-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21-25

• 26-30

• 31-35

• 36-40

• 41-45

• 46-50

• 51-55

• 56-73

• They Will Break the NBA Record with 74+ Wins

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer to why is because he earned it-- if he's earned it and his ceiling shouldn't be limited to some loophole. I would not be cool with that if it was my job and I doubt anyone else would so I'm not going to expect clarkson to be ok with it either. Unless it's for the greater good of the team which is a longshot. I know it's a business but there is such a thing as ethics so no I don't think it's pointless to take of your own guys. Just because you have leverage doesn't mean you should abuse it. This isn't a hostage situation, it's supposed to be a mutually beneficial partnership.

Anyway there's a lot of "ifs" in this scenario that can change everything one way or another and make this really convoluted to talk about. I'll just say that if clarkson earns the max, give it to him unless it interferes with signing durant.

Last edited:
But it's that line of thinking that allows for a $20+M contract for Kobe when he's not worth anywhere near that. We have to operate from the perspective of protecting the team's interest long term, not the players.

Bruh..I understand that. Kobe's contract isn't the reason we didn't get lebron/melo/kd, it's the reason we didn't get lance stephenson. Same with jc IF he earns the max. He won't be the reason we miss out on kd/whiteside. He may be the reason we don't sign a batum but it would be because he proved to be better than batum anyway.

Like I said tho there's too many ifs to figure out making this not really worth discussing

Yeah, I get the principle of what you're saying, but that's not even close to how business works. Especially this business.

JC is "earning" that max on a garbage team. Not the same as Kobe fighting his balls off on a 60+ win roster, or Kawhi helping win a title in year 2.

You pay Clarkson 20 mil now, when the most he could get from all your competitors is 5.6, your business is dead in the water.

He can't get 20 mil from ANY other team in the league, so he's not being held hostage. And getting 60 mil over 4 years is damn beneficial on both parts.

Like I said, him getting the max is contingent on both his own play and the likelihood of signing durant. I'm not saying you should turn kd away because you want to pay clarkson. I'm saying if he earns the max and you have the resources to give it to him (meaning kd isn't coming) then you give it to him. You don't hide behind some loophole to shortchange him and you're not even upgrading the team around him, just pinching pennies as a franchise that recently signed a billion dollar contract. That is not good business in an environment where your reputation around the league matters.

Last edited:
Listen to what you're sayin.

He's "earned" the max. Give it to him.

UNLESS Durant is coming. :nerd:

But don't use loopholes? :lol:

Also, you're forgetting a key point, NEXT year. Giving him max asap limits your options next year too. Why do that? There is zero benefit to tying your own hands early. None.

I think you guys are missing the whole point of the Arenas deal and the whole Ajax contract thing.

From my take the reason why it's important is

A. No matter what way you slice it JC getting paid what he deserves. No way you get around that. No deciet, no be greedy no none of that.
B. It greatly limits what other teams can offer him, putting us in the driver seat. Cuz no team can offer more than us (a bigger max)
C. I think this is the biggest point. If we match whatever team offers him. We can max him out and spread the lifetime of that contract differently. Back load it. Which is important because then we can bring in multiple max guys in one swoop because we have more available cap space.

So I don't know what this is about being greedy, and penny pinching or making bad blood or whatever.
Clarkson is literally gonna get paid regardless. But in order to be able to get multiple max players + decent role players, it would behoove us to try n sign Clarkson last. Because he knows he ain't going nowhere and if we max him upfront outright then that limits our spending power over the next 2 years.
But whatever way you slice JC getting maxed regardless and he staying with us.

It's more so the order of operations than anything. I'm sure his agent explained this thoroughly already.

Don't know how many times I have to say I'm not advocating to give jc the max at all costs, team building be damned. It seems however that you are advocating not giving him the max no matter what simply because you can get away with it due to a flaw in the cba that limits his earning potential. If that's your perspective I tip my hat to you. Truly you have a heart like hitler

A. No matter what way you slice it JC getting paid what he deserves. No way you get around that. No deciet, no be greedy no none of that.

Pretty sure this is wrong. He can potentially get 4/60 from other teams or 4/~80 from the lakers. If I'm misunderstanding that then I apologize and disregard all my posts for the day :lol:

Last edited:
No, I'm saying he can have his max, AFTER our other moves are made. No reason to extend him first because he can't leave us anyways.

And Sports is about having a heart like Hitler. The Cubs just kept Kris Bryant in the minors for 9 extra days so they can add a full year of cost control to his contract in 2021. And it was an excellent business move. 9 days as a rookie vs an entire year of his prime.

This is similar, just a different CBA structure.

Ah, I see what you're sayin now.

No, Eric was saying you could let other team offer and have it be 5.6/5.9/22.3/23 mil over 4 years.
Or
13/14/14.5/15 type average per year over 4.

Averages out to ~14.5 per year either way. (Give or take a few bucks)

I don't think a 4/80 is possible, or wise. Love the kid, but not that much. :lol:

Really feeling the xmas shooting shirts I'm seeing today. Can't wait to see the Lakers one later (can't find it online). :smokin

Merry Christmas Laker fam! Heading to the game tonight, so I'm hoping for some Christmas magic. A win would be awesome, but I'd take anything above a blowout, which may be a little too optimistic. Hope you and your fams a happy holidays. 

Randle needs to be moved into the starting lineup. As does Russell.

Randle especially. He's been putrid since going to the bench.

How the hell has this team won 5 games :lol:

No resemblance of Defense and the offense is horrible. Byron has to go

You must be new here

Anyone else have thoughts on Byron saying D'lo only knows 20% of the playbook?
I mean the other 80, surely is "let Kobe do Kobe" right

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom