Lakers OFF-SEASON IS A WRAP

How Many Regular Season Games Do You Think Kobe Will Play This Year?

• 1-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-20

• 21-35

• 36-49

• 50-65

• 66-75

• He Plays The Entire Season

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lakers' Jim Buss says it's not his decision when Kobe Bryant retires

View media item 1690574

The Lakers start training camp in just over a month and there are still many unknowns.

How will Kobe Bryant play? Was rookie guard D'Angelo Russell the right pick? Can the team make the playoffs?

On Thursday Jim Buss, part-owner and executive vice president of basketball operations, spoke to The Times about the upcoming season, the team's draft picks, his rebuilding plan — and what could be the final season of Bryant's career.

"We're going to approach it like it is, but that doesn't mean it is," Buss said of Bryant. "I'm not going to sit there and say, 'This is it, Kobe, you're done,' because it's not my decision, it's his decision."

Bryant, with one year left on his contract, will be the highest paid player in the NBA this season at $25 million. Buss gave Bryant a two-year, $48.5-million extension in 2013 before he even returned from a torn Achilles' tendon six months earlier.

Since then, Bryant has played in only 41 games over the last two seasons because of a fractured kneecap, followed by a torn rotator cuff last season.

Buss has received plenty of criticism for over-investing in the aging star, who just turned 37 as he heads into his 20th season.

"The man has done so much for the Lakers and the fans of the Laker nation, he deserves the money," Buss said. "I don't understand anybody trying to break down what I did for him. Let's break down what he did for us, then say, what is he worth? To me, he's worth that."

So is this Bryant's final year with the team? "My arms are like this," Buss said, holding his arms wide open, about Bryant's future.

"He just has to know, at that age, and that many miles on you, what is your role? We'll explain the role, and if he still wants to do that and that's how he wants to go out, that's fine with me."

The Lakers went 21-61 in a painful 2014-15 campaign, the worst in franchise history, but Buss remains optimistic.

"I'm very competitive, so it hurts. It hurts terribly," Buss said. . "I try to look at the future while I'm watching the present, and that is to find core players. I think we've done a good job doing that."

He's upbeat about Julius Randle, selected with the seventh overall pick in 2014. The former Kentucky power forward went down on opening night last season with a broken leg.

Randle has since recovered, and is gearing up for what is essentially a second shot at a rookie season.

"He's a beast. He's been working out with some ex-NBA players and handling himself very well. He's super strong, very fit," Buss said.

Another player Buss is excited about is guard Jordan Clarkson, whom the Lakers selected with the 46th pick in 2014. After spending most of the first half last season on the bench, Clarkson proved to be one of the best of his class, earning a nod on the NBA's all-rookie first team.

"Watching Jordan Clarkson develop [this summer], he's followed that same path, how he got better and better every game," Buss said.

The Lakers have traditionally built their championship rosters with big men, but the team passed on Duke center Jahlil Okafor to take Ohio State guard Russell with the second overall pick in the 2015 draft.

"We've got high aspirations for him," Buss said. "We normally look to get bigs, but [Russell] was just that impressive, that we just didn't feel right passing up on him.

"My enthusiasm for D'Angelo Russell, I have to curb it because I'm so excited about it. He could be anything in this league."

The Lakers also traded for Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert, signed veteran free agents Lou Williams and Brandon Bass, and drafted forwards Larry Nance Jr. and Anthony Brown.

What the Lakers didn't accomplish this summer was to sign a major free agent.

"It's just that it takes time to build a core that guys want to play with," Buss said. "I understand a superstar doesn't want to come in and say, 'Oh, we still have two or three years of rebuilding.' I think with Jordan Clarkson, Russell, Randle, even Hibbert ... we're getting a core of seven or eight players."

With the NBA's new national television deal kicking in next year, the Lakers could have up to $60 million to spend in July, enough to go after two max-level free agents, including Kevin Durant.

"If a big name or two came, we have the room. That's the key," Buss said. "We've kept our flexibility."

Buss also believes strongly in Coach Byron Scott.

"He has the Laker blood in him," Buss said. "[Mike] D'Antoni and Mike Brown, they weren't Lakers. They loved the Lakers and they tried their best and I think they're both great coaches.

"I'll take blame for that, but there was a lot of people, including my father [the late Jerry Buss] and Mitch [Kupchak], who were in favor of these changes. But it feels like we've righted the ship. We've got the coach, we've got the players."

In April 2014, Buss told The Times he would step down from his basketball operations position "if this doesn't work in three to four years, if we're not back on top."

His sister Jeanie Buss, part-owner of the Lakers and the team's president and governor, has said she will hold her brother to that pledge.

"I don't mind that I said that, and I live by it. If we're not back contending in two years from now, then really I haven't done a good job," Buss said. "To me, the barometer of success at the end of next year ... is if we have eight core players that are going to be Lakers for the next five years.

"It's not a number of wins. It's not if we make the playoffs. It's not how far we go in the playoffs," he said about the upcoming season. "It matters that we have core players, and that these guys are our future."

Buss said he expects to deliver and rebuild one of the NBA's top franchises. "I'm the one who put it out there because that's the way I feel. I'm not a core player if I can't get this back to where we're supposed to be."

Source:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-jim-buss-20150828-story.html

Jimmy :pimp:

"The man has done so much for the Lakers and the fans of the Laker nation, he deserves the money," Buss said. "I don't understand anybody trying to break down what I did for him. Let's break down what he did for us, then say, what is he worth? To me, he's worth that."

Exactly right. How you gonna low ball the guy that helped carry your franchise the past 20 years after the season he had where he killed himself to get you to the playoffs. Look that man in the eye when he's on crutches and tell him yea we're gonna need you to take a paycut...we're targeting lance stephenson and isiah thomas. Heartless spineless unethical, not a good look.

Last edited:
Exactly right. How you gonna low ball the guy that helped carry your franchise the past 20 years after the season he had where he killed himself to get you to the playoffs. Heartless spineless unethical, not a good look.

:lol:

More than half of the NT Laker fans on this thread give no damn's about Kobe and want him gone ASAP and will be pissed if he comes back next season at more than the league minimum on his next contract.

It's more of the "What have you done for me lately" mentality a lot of people have nowadays.

Last edited:
I guess we should still be paying Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Pau then too.......

We are in a business. You don't OVERpay for past success. That is a horrific way to do business.

You want to pay Kobe, after a hugely severe injury? Fine, pay him.

Don't make him the highest paid player in the ******* game, AGAIN, tho. He was already being paid just under 31 million dollars to play SIX games. He was fairly paid there.

Adding 48, over two years, was an incredibly stupid move, and very much part of why we've been this bad the last two (about to be) three, years.

You don't pay for past glory.

Did Jerry Buss pay a declining Shaq?

Oh, he made the better business decision. Weird.

Who said lowball?

Be loyal to your brand, not one player.

Paying Kobe these last 3 years 79 million dollars.

We won't even have 79 wins total those three seasons.

"Punk ****"

It just comes down to knowing the lakers wont be much of a threat currently so pay the man extra to keep fans buying tickets

Wonder what jerry would have done considering he didnt want to pay shaq that huge money he wanted

It's not lowballing if you want Kobe to prove he can regain health before you hand him a $48.5M check.

It just comes down to knowing the lakers wont be much of a threat currently so pay the man extra to keep fans buying tickets

Wonder what jerry would have done considering he didnt want to pay shaq that huge money he wanted

At that time back in the summer of 2004 Dr. Buss had an option though.

He made the decision to trade Shaq because he knew he had a franchise player in Kobe entering his prime.Even though that was a HUGE risk that summer because Kobe was a un restricted free agent and came close to leaving the Lakers for the Clippers or Bulls.

Right now it's different where the team right now does not have a n established young player in or entering the prime of their career.The franchise currently has a past his prime at the end of his career franchise player in Kobe.

Last edited:
Clarkson may be the best current American born Filipino in the league right now.

But this kid is legit and he's a native born from the Philippines.

He's already committed to a scholarship to play at UCLA starting in 2017

My former teammate happy for him

Last edited:

Exactly right. How you gonna low ball the guy that helped carry your franchise the past 20 years after the season he had where he killed himself to get you to the playoffs. Look that man in the eye when he's on crutches and tell him yea we're gonna need you to take a paycut...we're targeting lance stephenson and isiah thomas. Heartless spineless unethical, not a good look.

Exactly right. How you gonna low ball the guy that helped carry your franchise the past 20 years after the season he had where he killed himself to get you to the playoffs. Heartless spineless unethical, not a good look.

More than half of the NT Laker fans on this thread give no damn's about Kobe and want him gone ASAP and will be pissed if he comes back next season at more than the league minimum on his next contract.

It's more of the "What have you done for me lately" mentality a lot of people have nowadays.

We don't want our team to dedicate $50 million because of what he did in the past, and that's heartless? Spineless? "Unethical"? :lol:

Great players have gotten rewarded plenty of ways by their old teams over the decades, none of which involve giving him a huge pointless contract based on past performance. Give Kobe a stake in ownership (which rewards him much more), a front office role, a car, a house - and a contract only based on what he can still do.

And the league salary cap lives in the present so yes, any contract should be looked at with a "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

Jim Buss is an owner. I just want him to take a backseat and let basketball minds handle basketball ops

He's too Jerry jones for my liking

Mitch was an all star and champion player and asst GM to Jerry west for a long time, he should make all decisions and ownership should just sign off

We don't want our team to dedicate $50 million because of what he did in the past, and that's heartless? Spineless? "Unethical"? :lol:

Great players have gotten rewarded plenty of ways by their old teams over the decades, none of which involve giving him a huge pointless contract based on past performance. Give Kobe a stake in ownership (which rewards him much more), a front office role, a car, a house - and a contract only based on what he can still do.

And the league salary cap lives in the present so yes, any contract should be looked at with a "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

View media item 1691113
View media item 1691115
View media item 1691116

Who said lowball?

Be loyal to your brand, not one player.

Paying Kobe these last 3 years 79 million dollars.

We won't even have 79 wins total those three seasons.

"Punk ****"

giphy.gif

Lakers’ D’Angelo Russell downplays Summer League struggles, Kobe Bryant tweet
Lakers rookie D’Angelo Russell said of his subpar play during the Summer League in Las Vegas: I just want to be one of those guys that bring it when it matters.” NICK LAHAM — GETTY IMAGES

By Mark Medina, LA Daily News

Posted: 08/29/15, 11:04 PM PDT | Updated: 11 hrs ago
0 Comments

With one click of a button, Lakers rookie point guard D’Angelo Russell made an impassioned fan base more upset than anything regarding his Summer League play.

Russell suggested in a tweet nearly two weeks ago that Tracy McGrady is the greatest player of all time. Lakers guard Kobe Bryant and his legions of fans expressed their disapproval over Russell’s since-deleted tweet, though Russell said Bryant “was cool” about the incident.

“There’s a lot of spoiled Lakers fans. I wasn’t downgrading Kobe at all,” Russell said Saturday in an interview with the Los Angeles News Group. “I was just watching a highlight tape of Tracy McGrady and I got excited. I tweeted and the whole state of California went crazy.”

At least some of the Lakers’ fan base has simmered down.

Russell signed autographs and took pictures with Lakers fans on Saturday at The Grove, where he made a promotional appearance for Birchbox, which gave him a box of the company’s fragrance and skin-care products. Russell hopes to hear cheers when he throws out the first pitch for the Dodgers-Giants game on Monday night at Dodger Stadium.

But after spending the past month completing morning workouts and pickup scrimmages at the Lakers’ practice facility in El Segundo, Russell sounded eager for his workload to grow. Among the first items to check off: Russell wants to meet both with Bryant and the recently retired Steve Nash.

“I’m trying to figure out their mentality with each practice and each game. How do they manage to be around the game for so long and be successful?” said Russell, whom the Lakers selected second overall out of Ohio State in this year’s draft. “I want to learn how to stick around this league. I don’t think there’s a cheat code to it. But the sooner you find it out, the better you’ll be.”

Russell could find out in about a month, when the Lakers begin training camp. Then, Russell will have his first chance to rectify his Las Vegas Summer League performance. As the Lakers went 1-4 during that stretch, Russell averaged 11.8 points on 37.7 percent shooting and had more turnovers (3.5) than assists (3.2). But Russell suggested what happened in Vegas will stay in Vegas.

“A lot of guys translate it over when it’s time, and a lot of guys don’t,” Russell said about Summer League. “I just want to be one of those guys that bring it when it matters.”

After finishing last season with the worst record in franchise history, the Lakers have few outside expectations to make the NBA playoffs amid concerns about Bryant’s durability and the team’s failure to land a marquee free agent. But Russell headlines the Lakers’ long-term rebuilding project amid intrigue surrounding his playmaking.
Advertisement

“I tried to keep guys involved as much as possible,” Russell said about his Summer League play. “A lot of guys need you to create for them. You have to pick and choose when to create for yourself. So I tried to mix it up.”

Russell also downplayed his turnovers and shooting percentage, believing that both of those numbers will improve once he becomes more familiar with his teammates.

“If I miss 20 in a row and coach tells me to keep shooting, that’s what I’m going to do. That’s what got me here,” said Russell, who averaged 19.3 points, 5.7 rebounds and five assists while shooting 41 percent from three-point range during his freshman season with the Buckeyes. “I was forced to do a lot for my team in doing a lot of extraordinary things. People weren’t expecting it. But I made something happen out of nothing.”

Can Russell do the same thing with the Lakers? Coach Byron Scott has not assured Russell yet of the starting point guard position. But instead of worrying about that, Russell has narrowed his focus to two things.

First, Russell has received the memo about Scott’s conditioning-heavy practices.

“Coach Scott does a great job of getting the guys running and getting them in shape,” Russell said. “So I’m trying to do that the best way I can.”

Second, Russell dismissed any concerns about Scott’s Princeton-based offense, which relies on a heavy playbook and fewer pick-and-rolls than more traditional offenses.

“Coach Scott has been real successful with his players and his system,” Russell said, mindful that Scott has coached Jason Kidd, Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving. “So I can’t question the Princeton offense. With Phil Jackson, I can’t question the triangle (offense) even if I don’t know too much about it I don’t know too much about the Princeton offense. But I’m going to trust what he has going on and go with it.”

But for now, Russell has enjoyed his free time exploring Los Angeles. He took a helicopter tour for an aerial view of the city. He attended the L.A. Special Olympics. Although he criticized his own golf game, Russell has visited various driving ranges. He sounded most passionate about paintball, a hobby he often shares with family members and friends that have moved out here with him.

“I’m trying to do a little bit of everything,” Russell said. “L.A. has so much to offer. So I want to take advantage of it.”

Soon enough, Russell also hopes to do that on the hardwood.

Personally don't really have a problem with what he said. Lord knows we can be asking for a lot, but kid probably needs better PR coaching.

I don't like people who overreact to little things

Russ seems like the type of dude that thought inception was the greatest movie in the history of movies after leaving the theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom