[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
You're getting mixed up.

Mitch got Kwame in a S&T in 2005, where Kwame signed a new three-year contract and was traded for Caron and Atkins. That's the only deal Mitch ever gave him, and that's what expired in 2008.

You probably remember it being a head-scratcher because people were high on a young Caron, and Kwame was already labeled a bust four years into his career.

I know what I'm talking about. when they first traded for Kwame they gave him 3 years with the 3rd year being an option. in 2007 they made his 3rd year guaranteed when they didn't have to and on the surface had no reason to. I'm not talking about the caron trade

Okay, I see the move that you're referring to now.

I was the one getting mixed up because Mitch guaranteeing the final year of Kwame's existing deal is not exactly the same as a new extension.

It's a little different, it's not like Mitch gave him an entirely new deal with the intention of using it as a trade piece.

But he did guarantee it partially because, worst case, it would be an expiring contract - always a decent thing to have. Also in part because he was still a solid big in the rotation.

Basically, I still wouldn't call it a move of foresight... leaving it unguaranteed would have been an extreme circumstance, like if he was a poison (like Bynum on the Cavs) or a huge bust (he was solid). Guaranteeing it seemed more like a formality, but that's more my opinion.

This is relevant because I wouldn't want to sign Pau to keep him as a trade chip. That's too hard to rely on. And if that's the case, Pau wouldn't listen anyway.

Last edited:
Remember when some of you didn't want Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe for Dwight Howard last summer?

*Runs and hides*

He's better than any asset currently on the roster, and if the Warriors didn't sign Iggy, he might be playing better than he currently is. (could also regress, I'm aware)

His playoff run last year was solid, and of the two, Klay was the one I wanted most.

Having those 2 + this year's pick (10-15 type range I'm guessing) and all the cap room thereafter was the goal I had in mind, once we knew Dwight wasn't staying.

If you ask Warrior fans about that proposed trade they'll tell you that Dwight wasn't worth both of them. Just one.

In reality it would've been Bogut plus one of the two.

Which I would've been fine with

Wouldn't have expected Barnes to be a star, but he would've been a nice name to have in the starting lineup alongside some other players in the future

Last edited:
You're right about it not really being an extension but I still think it involved plenty of foresight as well as doing homework and having leads. I don't think they were caught off guard when pau became available or that they didn't have him and likely a few others on their radar before deciding what to do with kwame, it was only a few months between his deal being guaranteed and the trade. This is the main reason I trust they had something in mind when they sat down with kobe and while they play hardball even up to the last minute of the deadline.

They haven't been making the obvious moves that even an idiot can see all season long and if they don't have a plan that would be beyond dumars/isiah level of incompetence and I can't believe anybody is really that dumb, especially after some of the brilliant moves this front office has made. I just refuse to believe the deadline will pass and Mitch will be like....oh **** I should have traded pau for Bynum and not given kobe all that money! Now what?? that's why I trust they have something in mind, maybe even something in the cba that hasn't quite been exploited yet like when Lin and asik first got poison pills or how most of us are just finding out there's a way for them to trade their lotto pick

Last edited:
That moment when Mitch optioned Kwame's third year and every fan collectively groaned at the same time.

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 45s
Steve Blake just changed back into his street clothes from his basketball gear. Looks like he's getting traded.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
The Lakers are in advanced talks on a deal to send Steve Blake to Golden State, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Last edited:
nerd.gif

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 47s
Nick Young just found out about Blake and came out of the trainers room shaking his head. "What just happened ?"

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 45s
Golden State expected to send Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks to the Lakers for Blake, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
Steve Blake has been traded to Golden State, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Last edited:
Blake Gawd. :frown:

Sea Manup with the foreshadowing avy change.

The end of an era, folks. Brooks/bazemore r mamny harris and jodie meeks esque.

C yall on the other side of this L.

Back
Top Bottom