**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

I agree we have to go all in THIS year. Bron won't survive multiple runs at this point, but we didn't need to tack on 3 more years to AD. And that's gonna hurt us.
I suppose we just see things differently and that’s fine… but in this scenario see AD as having all the leverage. If he asks for the extension and the Lakers say no or try to negotiate for a lesser amount then I’m sure the trade request comes next. If I’m missing something you tell me…

Giving them the max to sell tickets, sure.

Giving them the max to win the title? Not really gonna work out. (KD has the best chance this year to pull that off, from this list, not entire league wide)

You guys just wanna pay old stars, fine, good luck. That's not me. I'd rather pay young stars. 26 year old AD, great. 33-35 year old AD, pass.

You would be a cheap GM, who would sign your super stories and get fired. "At least I saved my owner money though!"

This isn't the NFL. Your approach isn't a consistent route to victory. You would let a guy like Steph Curry, Anthony Davis and Kevin Durant walk cuz you want to play hardball?

I think there’s a fundamental misunderstanding here.

A player that is worth paying the max (or 30-35% of the cap or whatever) is the most valuable asset in the nba.

You would be a cheap GM, who would sign your super stories and get fired. "At least I saved my owner money though!"

This isn't the NFL. Your approach isn't a consistent route to victory. You would let a guy like Steph Curry, Anthony Davis and Kevin Durant walk cuz you want to play hardball?

Those players win when they are in their 20's-early 30's (Peaks)

Steph's title in his mid 30's was a direct result of GSW going well into the luxury tax. Does Jeanie and the Lakers go into the luxury tax much?

They pay their stars. But they don't go above and beyond too much. We a family run team. If we had Balmer type money I'd have less of an argument. Jeanie isn't that. We all know it.

I think there’s a fundamental misunderstanding here.

A player that is worth paying the max (or 30-35% of the cap or whatever) is the most valuable asset in the nba.

In their 20's/early 30's, agreed.

33-34-35 with history of injuries a mile long, I don't agree.

CP would try to sign stars with a BOGO coupon if he could. 🤣 Trying to Facetime the commish like "Do you still honor punch cards like Stern did? I've signed 9 stars in the past 13 years, so isn't the 10th free? That's on you, right? I got that card around here somewhere. It's got 9 punches on it, promise. You doing 2 for Tuesday next week?"

Those players win when they are in their 20's-early 30's (Peaks)

Steph's title in his mid 30's was a direct result of GSW going well into the luxury tax. Does Jeanie and the Lakers go into the luxury tax much?

They pay their stars. But they don't go above and beyond too much. We a family run team. If we had Balmer type money I'd have less of an argument. Jeanie isn't that. We all know it.
They've been in the tax for sure the past 2 seasons if not longer. They need to avoid it this year so they can exceed it and maneuver going forward. If/when they have a chance to add a max next to AD the tax isn't gonna stop them

They've been in the tax for sure the past 2 seasons if not longer. They need to avoid it this year so they can exceed it and maneuver going forward. If/when they have a chance to add a max next to AD the tax isn't gonna stop them

Yes, they pay their max guys then cheap out on the rest of the roster. (Caruso type decisions)

They passed on Caruso and then went deep into the tax for Russ. You're just arguing to argue at this point :lol:. If they have a chance to sign Giannis or even a Lavine/Ingram you really think they're gonna decline? They didn't do things exactly how you would like but it's ok

For Russ "a star". They pay stars, then cheap out elsewhere.

This thread been goin on about Jeanie's cheapness for years. Stop acting brand new.

Cheapness for role players...

They never went cheap on stars.

Agreed.

So Steph wins #4 if the Warriors don't go deeeeeeep in the tax? No, right?

We won't either. If Jeanie cheapens out the rest of the roster because middle aged AD takes 35-40% of the cap, we're doomed.

If Jeanie goes Balmer, or GSW, then we have a fighting chance. She gonna do that????? :nerd:

Agreed.

So Steph wins #4 if the Warriors don't go deeeeeeep in the tax? No, right?

We won't either. If Jeanie cheapens out the rest of the roster because middle aged AD takes 35-40% of the cap, we're doomed.

If Jeanie goes Balmer, or GSW, then we have a fighting chance. She gonna do that????? :nerd:

I mean...we are talking about 2 different things here.

She doesn't like to go deep into the tax.

But the GSW situation is different because Steph, Klay and Dray are those star type players. GSW had better players around that roster and Poole on a cheap deal at the time.

We will never go cheap on the star players. It's always gonna be the role playersthat get squeezed with us.

C CP1708 it seems like you have an NFL mindset and you need to realize that the sports are very different.

- NBA allows teams to go over the cap to resign their own players so there's no real point in playing hardball in most cases. You're not actually saving any money that would allow you to sign other players.

- The NBA isn't like the NFL where 80% of your roster is easily replaceable and it's easy to get similar performance from a player making a lot less. Hypothetically, if the Lakers were to lose AD for nothing there is no way they could come close to finding a player (or group of players) with similar output. This is why star NBA players are so valuable.

Also, what options do the Lakers have when negotiating with AD? When you are negotiating you have to be willing to walk away, the Lakers were never going to walk away because there's no way for them to replace what AD brings (same thing for the Warriors with Curry, Mavericks with Kyrie)

Bro that quite literally just paid every non star on the team this offseason :lol: :lol: & used the MLE on one instead of going the trade Bamba/Beasley deals

You are also saying they have no problems paying a star, with AD Current Contract & Bron Coming off the Books they are in great shape to Add Another star whether that be FA or Trading for one in the future

Back
Top Bottom