**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

So either he got the third two-way spot (which means Max Lewis got a standard roster spot with the Lakers) or one of Swider/Pippen Jr got waived.

Don't know much about him. Just looked up that he shot 40% from three on seven attempts a game (14 attempts per 100 possessions :wow: :lol:).

All picks 10-15 (Utah was taking George regardless) had to do was take Whitmore and we coulda had one of: Dickk, Kobe, Lively, Wallace or Hawkins.

ohaqiyj2rr7b1.png

Lakers prioritize future over present with Jalen Hood-Schifino pick and trade inactivity

With much anticipation surrounding what they would do with the No. 17 pick in Thursday’s NBA Draft, the Lakers stood pat and selected Jalen Hood-Schifino.

After fielding calls and weighing potential trade offers with multiple teams, they ultimately valued the opportunity to select the guard out of Indiana University, who they had expected to go earlier in the draft. He is their highest pick since they selected Lonzo Ball at No. 2 in 2017.

Lakers vice president of basketball operations and general manager Rob Pelinka cryptically hinted that the team wasn’t able to find a deal it liked when he addressed the media afterward.

“I think the end goal, we talk about it all the time, is for us to put a championship-level product on the court,” Pelinka said. “… Sometimes you can’t make all of your moves in one fell swoop. But we’re really excited about the way the draft panned out. Just the value we were able to acquire with the two players. We’ll continue to have our mind on how we fill out the rest of the roster — or other moves that happen during free agency.”

Their big move of the day technically came hours before the draft when they agreed to send the No. 47 pick and cash to the Pacers in exchange for the No. 40 pick, league sources confirmed to The Athletic. ESPN was the first to report the trade.

Los Angeles then selected Pepperdine wing Maxwell Lewis at that spot. The Lakers ended up sending over $4.3 million to the Pacers in what eventually became a four-team deal, according to team sources not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

“We do have a pending transaction for another high pick in the second round that we’re excited about,” Pelinka said. “Can’t talk about the second-round pick until that trade gets finalized.”

The deal was finalized and announced just before midnight PT, after Pelinka spoke.

Considering their frontcourt is largely set with Anthony Davis, LeBron James (who is expected back), Jarred Vanderbilt (who the Lakers are going to pick up the team option of) and Rui Hachimura (who the team plans to re-sign), the Lakers had been primarily looking at bigger guards and wings with the No. 17 pick. (Dereck Lively II, who went No. 12 to Dallas, was an exception).

Hood-Schifino was projected to go between picks No. 10 through 20, though most mock drafts had him going before the Lakers’ draft slot. Lewis was projected to go in the early second round. From that perspective, the Lakers found value in both selections.

Pelinka referred to Hood-Schifino as a “lottery-level talent” and a player with “Lakers DNA” due to his positional size, feel for the game and maturity. The Pittsburgh native earned rave reviews from his coach at Indiana, former NBA coach Mike Woodson, for his unprecedented professionalism and work ethic as a 19-year-old.

“We think he fits well with the young core that we’re building here,” Pelinka said.

Hood-Schifino, who turned 20 earlier this week, is considered an NBA-ready prospect who is capable of assuming a rotation role. His physical tools immediately jump out for a guard, as he’s 6-foot-6 with a 6-foot-10 wingspan and a sturdy 215-pound frame. He won the Big Ten’s Rookie of the Year award, averaging 13.5 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.7 assists as a freshman on a top-four seed in the NCAA tournament. The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie mocked him as the No. 13 pick and ranked him No. 15 on his Big Board.

“I would just say I’m an all-around player,” Hood-Schifino said. “I check a lot of boxes. Obviously, a big guard. I feel like I can score from all three levels. Really unselfish. Floor general.”

Hood-Schifino is at his best attacking out of ball screens and getting into the middle of the floor. He has a lethal pull-up jumper (he shot 42.3 percent on midrange jumpers last season, according to Synergy), though he’s also capable of finishing with floaters (he made 41 percent last season, according to Synergy) and finding his roll man with either pocket passes and lobs. He’s a cerebral ballhandler and playmaker who uses angles and changes in pace effectively. He processes information quickly and has the type of versatile skill set that non-star perimeter players need to succeed.

On the other end of the floor, Hood-Schifino is able to defend either backcourt spot — and even small forwards in certain matchups. He is a ballhawk, using his strength, quickness and IQ to keep ballhandlers in front of him. He fights over on-ball and off-ball screens sufficiently, and is best used in a drop scheme, meaning he’ll translate nicely to Lakers head coach Darvin Ham’s preferred defensive scheme.

“He comes with such a great physical package and profile to be a great defender,” Pelinka said. “… He’s got all the skills with the length to disrupt passing lanes, disrupt shots. … He’s got a real physical presence. Big shoulders. Big back. … He’s really built.”

Though he’s physically imposing, he’s a below-average athlete by NBA standards, which affects his ability to finish at the rim, take care of the ball and create separation in isolation.

The biggest question regarding Hood-Schifino’s future is his perimeter shot — a big question for any guard in today’s game. He made just 33.3 percent of his 3s at Indiana (he shot just 30.4 percent on catch-and-shoot 3s). It’s clearly an area he has to improve, especially for a Lakers group that struggled from beyond the arc last season. That said, he shot 37 percent on pull-up 3s, per Synergy, which is an encouraging figure.

The Lakers are optimistic that their development staff can help Hood-Schifino take a significant leap as a shooter.

“We saw, again, just as a point of comparison, with a player like Austin Reaves, when we drafted him, he wasn’t a knockdown shooter. But he is now,” Pelinka said. “It’s because he put in work — and work with our staff. And I know that’s something Jalen is committed to too.”

The Lakers view Hood-Schifino as capable of playing either backcourt position and developing into a complementary fit next to restricted free agent Reaves, who the Lakers intend to re-sign this offseason.

“You think about the opportunity to pair two young guards together like Austin Reaves and Jalen Hood-Schifino,” Pelinka said. “People would say, ‘Is Austin a point guard? A 2-guard?’ Well, he’s an on-the-ball guard. He can make plays with the ball in his hand. And I would say the same thing about Jalen Hood-Schifino.”

The Lakers were the first team Hood-Schifino visited and worked out for. He fits the organization’s ethos — oozing the type of confidence the Lakers covet. He believes he’s capable of earning minutes as a rookie.

“Defensively, I can really guard any position,” Hood-Schifino said. “And me having a big body, a strong body, I think that’s gonna help me, obviously, guard point guards and guard bigger players. I think that’s one way that I’m gonna be able to separate myself to earn minutes as a rookie.”

As for Lewis, the 6-foot-7 wing has elite athleticism, a 7-foot wingspan and an 8-foot-8 1/4 standing reach. The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie pegged him as the No. 36 pick and ranked him at No. 35 on his Big Board.

Lewis, who will turn 21 next month, is a knockdown shooter who made 35.4 percent on 3s in his two seasons at Pepperdine. He uses his size well offensively, exploiting mismatches by either flipping in hook shots or turning and shooting over smaller defenders in the post. At this point, his most NBA-ready skill appears to be his catch-and-shoot ability.

Given his athleticism, Lewis is a dynamic transition threat who can blow by defenders and throw down highlight-reel dunks. He often wins vertical battles against opponents. He’s also a good cutter and relocator who has a knack for finding openings in defenses (a trait that’ll pair well with James).

He’s flashed talent as a ballhandler and passer, but those are two areas he needs to continue to refine his skill set and develop. His NBA ceiling likely will be determined by how he grows in those two areas.

Defensively, Lewis has the physical gifts to be an effective defender, but his awareness isn’t always present. He has a tendency to fall asleep off of the ball and gamble too much in passing lanes. He also lacks strength, allowing bigger and stronger wings to power through him. He’s more 3 than D on the 3-and-D spectrum. Nonetheless, his length is a factor, allowing him to be a defensive playmaker when engaged.

Lewis is more of a project than Hood-Schifino, which is somewhat obvious considering the gap in where each was drafted. That said, he has the type of upside that teams seek in the second round, and the Lakers were clearly high enough to invest in him. Lewis was one of the standouts during the Lakers’ group workouts during the pre-draft process.

The 2023 NBA Draft ended up being a relative dud trade-wise — not only for the Lakers but also for the rest of the league as well.

Aside from the Chris Paul-Jordan Poole blockbuster earlier in the day, there weren’t any earth-shattering deals during the draft. Damian Lillard and Zion Williamson stayed put in Portland and New Orleans, respectively. Neither the No. 2 nor No. 3 pick was dealt. Even as Cam Whitmore, who was a projected lottery pick, slid to Houston at pick No. 20, no team decided to trade up to steal him. (The Lakers considered Whitmore, according to team sources, but determined Hood-Schifino was a surer bet.)

The Lakers, toeing the delicate line of balancing their championship aspirations with the reality that their window may only be a year or two, prioritized their future over their present on draft night.

They couldn’t find a trade that made sense, missing a valuable opportunity to flip the contracts of Malik Beasley and Mo Bamba, along with the No. 17 pick, ahead of free agency for a better rotation player who would upgrade next season’s roster. Instead, they drafted two rangy perimeter players that they believe will grow into key members of their core.

There’s always the chance that the Lakers include one or both of their rookies in a future transaction, depending on how their offseason options play out. But for now, the Lakers appear content with first seeing what they have with Hood-Schifino and Lewis. The Lakers’ vaunted scouting department has earned the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps one or both will be ready to contribute earlier than expected. It happened two seasons ago with Reaves. Max Christie also had productive moments as a rookie last season.

Still, Thursday’s outcome was a reminder that the Lakers are cognizant of the importance of building out their post-James future, which may only be a year or two away.

Wait. So lakers had two second rounders in last nights draft? Lewis and one other they can’t discuss??

Caruso and Drummond for Bamba and Harrison is nearly identical.

But I think the Bulls would want a young guy or future pick. Caruso coming off an All-Defense year and still under contract for two more years.

Caruso and Drummond for Bamba and Harrison is nearly identical.

But I think the Bulls would want a young guy or future pick. Caruso coming off an All-Defense year and still under contract for two more years.

What about Dollar General D'Lo we just drafted?

Back
Top Bottom