**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

zt8vluud8h591.jpg

Alot of you guys are saying 2008 but 2004 hurts me the most. Despite all the injuries and off-court drama we still make it so close to winning the title. If we would have won it legitimately would have been the stuff of movies

Alot of you guys are saying 2008 but 2004 hurts me the most. Despite all the injuries and off-court drama we still make it so close to winning the title. If we would have won it legitimately would have been the stuff of movies

We wasn't really that close though. We won game 2 cuz Kobe went crazy.

04 was such a weird season. I thought they were for sure winning the title that year after they knocked San Antonio out in the 2nd round.

Crazy thing is I think the Spurs would’ve beat the Pistons had they won that 2nd round series.

I legit wonder what the Lakers would’ve done had they won in 04. Kobe was a free agent, the Shaq situation was still going on. Maybe winning again heals some of those wounds and they manage to make it work. But for as much crap as they got in 04, they traded Shaq at the right time. I doubt the Lakers would’ve got the Shaq that Miami did for the 04-05 season had he stayed. Dude played motivated and got in shape that season largely because he was pissed at the Lakers.

So many good options.

But honestly.......no real "right" answer.

84 drove Magic to get 85-87-88. He got crushed for his play in 84. Take that away, does he still get those next 3 outta 4?

91 was a last hurrah for Magic/Worthy. Til I die I believe getting Threat for 92 was going to be the difference.

04 might mean Kobe leaves, or maybe we extend Shaq long term thru his decline etc.

And 08 (like 84) drove that team thru 09-10.

Iono........

I think 2013, 2011, 2003, 1998, 1989 are bigger what ifs, imo. 2011 for me, a second 3-peat, the Spurs getting knocked out in R1, we had HC and only the Mavs/Thunder in our way, matchup vs the Heatles.......

2003, a 4-peat if Horry had one last dagger for us. :frown:

89, sweeping the Western Conference playoffs, only to be ravaged by injury in the Finals. :stoneface:

But 2012.....if 26 year old Chris Paul got to join Kobe (and eventually Dwight)....... *sigh*
The whole end of Kobe's career is different. :smh:

So many good options.

84 drove Magic to get 85-87-88. He got crushed for his play in 84. Take that away, does he still get those next 3 outta 4?

91 was a last hurrah for Magic/Worthy. Til I die I believe getting Threat for 92 was going to be the difference.

04 might mean Kobe leaves, or maybe we extend Shaq long term thru his decline etc.

Iono........

I think 2013, 2011, 2003, 1998, 1989 are bigger what ifs, imo. 2011 for me, a second 3-peat, the Spurs getting knocked out in R1, we had HC and only the Mavs/Thunder in our way, matchup vs the Heatles.......

89, sweeping the Western Conference playoffs, only to be ravaged by injury in the Finals. :stoneface:

But 2012.....if 26 year old Chris Paul got to join Kobe (and eventually Dwight)....... *sigh*
** if only Kobe and others didn’t get on that helicopter. That’s the biggest what if.

So many good options.

Iono........

Omg. That horry slump and that last in and out three. That was rough. You’re right. Would’ve been a 4 peat

Thr old school in me says 1991 so Magic could have 6, Jordan and Kobe would be tied at 5.

The other part of me says 2004, Kobe and Shaq win 4 titles in 5 years, Kobe ends up with 6 rings to tie MJ, Shaq ends up with 5, and both Shaq and Kobe's legacies are elevated even higher, with most saying both of them top 5 all time. Meanwhile Lakers win one more than the Spurs during the Kobe-Duncan 20 year era.

No need to take any rings away from Boston imo to keep the ring battle close cause I'm confident the Lakers will eventually pull away since Boston doesn't seem to no longer know how to win titles.

Last edited:

Wonder who Ham is bringing in. Believe he can have four assistants on the front row. Handy is one, not sure Crawford will be making that jump.

Thing people aren’t talking about:

this isn’t the Cavs or heat lebron, how many teams that HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR are gonna be lining up to offer him a max deal either outright or via sign and trade. One more year of injuries and nobody but the lakers will make him such offer.

The highly unlikely trade but a winner for the lakers trade:

Pacers save 60 million in total dollars over life of deals won’t let me add the 2029 pick but I would throw that in too
61950A4C-6132-4D50-AE15-8C35EF504AC6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom