**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Gasol was dope I never understood the hate and why they wanted Drummond so badly.

Should’ve stuck with Gasol and/or re-signed McGee.

If we’re going over old moves, I never understood why they didn’t go all in for Chris Paul instead of Dennis. It’s not like the Suns gave up hella for CP.
And CP coulda asked for lakers and it woulda been done for sure

Thought was: we just won a title. Why change so much. Which was smart. It’s this past summer where we did too much.

Gasol was dope I never understood the hate and why they wanted Drummond so badly.

Should’ve stuck with Gasol and/or re-signed McGee.

If we’re going over old moves, I never understood why they didn’t go all in for Chris Paul instead of Dennis. It’s not like the Suns gave up hella for CP.

Gasol was good but he was definitely washed. He was barbecue chicken in the pick and roll and for some reason he didn't like to shoot the ball at all despite being one of our better three-point shooters percentage-wise. Still a great passing. Big, still super smart and was good at defending bigger bodies like Jokic

At this point, I just miss the kids. :smh:

I know the 2020 title was worth it, but Bron has a history of this. He came in and completely demolished the roster to an entire group of guys that will be retired in a year or so. (or should be)

Zubac/Bryant
Randle/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma/Hart
DLo/KCP/THT
Lonzo/Caruso/GP2

Literally sign one key free agent to this core and flourish. Long term and short term. Hell, I forgot we could include the #4 pick, plus we'd still have all our 1st round picks since the AD deal.

Iono......can't take 2020 for granted, but everything since has been bad luck on our part. Russ being the worst of it. We hoped getting him next to AD/Bron would help him, Giannis didn't even guard him from the paint last night. He was IN THE PAINT and Giannis didn't bother looking at him, just waited for the rebound. :frown:

I'm glad we got the 2020 Title, and Bron did that bringin in AD, but as of right now, AD after Bron doesn't look like he's going to bring in key guys and since they put their word on Russ, kinda have some trust issues anyways, right?

- Shouldn't have added Marc.
- Or Schroder.
- Shouldn't have let McGee walk.
- Or Dwert.

But we did, then scrambled.

-foe

I just don’t want LeBron to get hurt.

I swear this season mirrors 2013 in so many ways…

Shut LeBron down dood, I don’t want him sacrificing his ACHILLES for a 1st round exit.

Nah, not like this.

At this point, I just miss the kids. :smh:

I know the 2020 title was worth it, but Bron has a history of this. He came in and completely demolished the roster to an entire group of guys that will be retired in a year or so. (or should be)

Zubac/Bryant
Randle/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma/Hart
DLo/KCP/THT
Lonzo/Caruso/GP2

Literally sign one key free agent to this core and flourish. Long term and short term. Hell, I forgot we could include the #4 pick, plus we'd still have all our 1st round picks since the AD deal.

Iono......can't take 2020 for granted, but everything since has been bad luck on our part. Russ being the worst of it. We hoped getting him next to AD/Bron would help him, Giannis didn't even guard him from the paint last night. He was IN THE PAINT and Giannis didn't bother looking at him, just waited for the rebound. :frown:

I'm glad we got the 2020 Title, and Bron did that bringin in AD, but as of right now, AD after Bron doesn't look like he's going to bring in key guys and since they put their word on Russ, kinda have some trust issues anyways, right?
Would've been New Orleans Pelicans West. Glad we didn't keep the kids together.

Selling your soul for a title >>>>

I wasn’t alive for the magic titles but watching the 5 Kobe titles and experiencing the trash ball during the 2010s decade makes me glad we went all in on Bron and got that title. There’s no guarantee the Lakers ever win a title again. You have to pounce when a player like Lebron becomes available, no matter his age. It was the right move because it’s hard as **** to win a title and he brought one home.

There’s no guarantee that AD plays here for the rest of his career either but I still feel that AD + the right perimeter star + the right coach / front office can take us to the promise land post Lebron.

Lakers find a Westbrook trade partner

New York Knicks receive: Russell Westbrook, DeAndre Jordan, Wayne Ellington, 2027 first-round pick (top-14 protected; if not conveyed in 2027, the pick will turn into the Lakers' 2028 second-round pick and the Washington Wizards' 2028 second-round pick)

Los Angeles Lakers receive: Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, Alec Burks

On the surface, a Westbrook trade to New York appears to be a knee-jerk reaction to an underachieving season and a move not in line with how Knicks president Leon Rose has patiently constructed his roster. The Knicks would be doing the same thing the Lakers did last offseason: trading away multiple players and ruining their roster flexibility by inheriting Westbrook's $44.1 million contract this year and $47.2 million salary next season.

But here is why the Knicks' roster is different than the Lakers. For starters, outside of the $23.8 million owed to Julius Randle next year, the Knicks' roster is balanced, with nine players earning between $1.5 million and $14.5 million. If a disgruntled superstar became available, a Westbrook trade does not eliminate New York.

Plus, the 2027 first-round pick acquired from the Lakers now adds to the Knicks' pool of draft assets that includes their own first-rounder over the next seven seasons and a 2023 Mavericks top-10-protected first-rounder. Unlike the Lakers, who are limited with only the $6.2 million tax midlevel and veterans minimum exception in July, the Knicks would have access in the offseason to the $10.1 million midlevel, the $4.0 million biannual, two draft picks and financial flexibility to acquire a player in a sign-and-trade.

On the court, the Knicks have lost their identity from a year ago and have played uninspiring basketball. Does landing Westbrook fix that? Of course not, but if the Lakers' Jan. 28 loss to the Charlotte Hornets proved anything, it was that Westbrook can still impact the game when he does not have to defer to All-Star teammates (sorry, Julius Randle).

The Lakers would be doing something that no front office likes to do in waving the white flag and admitting they made a mistake last offseason when they agreed to acquire Westbrook. However, trading Westbrook for three role players in Fournier, Burks and Walker likely does not move the needle to put them in the category of Phoenix, Golden State and even Memphis in the Western Conference this season. (You could argue Westbrook is the wild card to the Lakers' postseason success and moving him all but eliminates any possibility of competing for a championship.)

However, trading Westbrook not only helps balance a roster currently filled with non-playable players (Jordan, Trevor Ariza, Kent Bazemore, Ellington) but also gives the front office a restart on how it can improve the roster in the offseason. Instead of having a roster that is top heavy in contracts, the Lakers would now have five tradable contracts ranging from the $18 million owed to Fournier to the $9.1 million to Walker.

There is also a financial benefit for the Lakers. By taking back less money this year and next, the Lakers would save $35 million toward the luxury tax and would land right at the $145 million tax threshold in 2022-23.

-- Bobby Marks

Problem is Lakers don't have much flexibility, no picks until 2027 and that might be a good one. Rust + Bron+ AD takes up like 90%+ of the salary cap.

Went all-in on Russ and needed to fill in the rest of the roster with 3+D guys, but the guys can only do one or the other Ellington (3s, no D), Bradley (D, no 3s). Traded away guys who could do both from last year: KCP, Caruso. Defense is just awful now. Letting up 130+ is pretty inexcusable

Rust was a mistake. THT over Caruso was a mistake too. Only options are call this year a loss or mortgage away the little future stuff still there 2027 pick + THT for mild changes/upgrades.

Lakers find a Westbrook trade partner

New York Knicks receive: Russell Westbrook, DeAndre Jordan, Wayne Ellington, 2027 first-round pick (top-14 protected; if not conveyed in 2027, the pick will turn into the Lakers' 2028 second-round pick and the Washington Wizards' 2028 second-round pick)

Los Angeles Lakers receive: Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, Alec Burks

On the surface, a Westbrook trade to New York appears to be a knee-jerk reaction to an underachieving season and a move not in line with how Knicks president Leon Rose has patiently constructed his roster. The Knicks would be doing the same thing the Lakers did last offseason: trading away multiple players and ruining their roster flexibility by inheriting Westbrook's $44.1 million contract this year and $47.2 million salary next season.

But here is why the Knicks' roster is different than the Lakers. For starters, outside of the $23.8 million owed to Julius Randle next year, the Knicks' roster is balanced, with nine players earning between $1.5 million and $14.5 million. If a disgruntled superstar became available, a Westbrook trade does not eliminate New York.

Plus, the 2027 first-round pick acquired from the Lakers now adds to the Knicks' pool of draft assets that includes their own first-rounder over the next seven seasons and a 2023 Mavericks top-10-protected first-rounder. Unlike the Lakers, who are limited with only the $6.2 million tax midlevel and veterans minimum exception in July, the Knicks would have access in the offseason to the $10.1 million midlevel, the $4.0 million biannual, two draft picks and financial flexibility to acquire a player in a sign-and-trade.

On the court, the Knicks have lost their identity from a year ago and have played uninspiring basketball. Does landing Westbrook fix that? Of course not, but if the Lakers' Jan. 28 loss to the Charlotte Hornets proved anything, it was that Westbrook can still impact the game when he does not have to defer to All-Star teammates (sorry, Julius Randle).

The Lakers would be doing something that no front office likes to do in waving the white flag and admitting they made a mistake last offseason when they agreed to acquire Westbrook. However, trading Westbrook for three role players in Fournier, Burks and Walker likely does not move the needle to put them in the category of Phoenix, Golden State and even Memphis in the Western Conference this season. (You could argue Westbrook is the wild card to the Lakers' postseason success and moving him all but eliminates any possibility of competing for a championship.)

However, trading Westbrook not only helps balance a roster currently filled with non-playable players (Jordan, Trevor Ariza, Kent Bazemore, Ellington) but also gives the front office a restart on how it can improve the roster in the offseason. Instead of having a roster that is top heavy in contracts, the Lakers would now have five tradable contracts ranging from the $18 million owed to Fournier to the $9.1 million to Walker.

There is also a financial benefit for the Lakers. By taking back less money this year and next, the Lakers would save $35 million toward the luxury tax and would land right at the $145 million tax threshold in 2022-23.

-- Bobby Marks

yuck

mdkq7jf26vg81.jpg

If we can move Russ, just give up the pick. 🤦🏿‍♂️
Nah.

Think about it: who are we getting back that will save us this year? Nobody worth while

This summer you have westbrooks 47 expiring. 2027 first and 2029 first.

You can literally trade him to a team with cap space and take nothing back. That will give you a roster of lebron ad tht and Reaves only (and Nunn maybe) Move tht then with 2 second rounders and tons of cap space.

Expiring contracts are huge. 47 mill plus 2 first rounders and 3 second rounders might even bring you back a superstar (dame)

“Back tightness”. Lol ok

Talk about awkward and embarrassing. I am embarrassed for Russ here. It’s like, it’s best to just not say anything.

Like when I prematurely finish too fast (like 30 seconds), I just stay quiet and pretend it didn’t happen instead of making excuses. Just pathetic to bring up excuses. It’s ok. It happens all the time to everyone says my girlfriend

Russ patting them on the head talmbout “there’s more to life than basketball guys! The fans want 25/15/15 every night, we can’t do that every night. Wait until Nunn is back!”

Reactions: DLF
Let’s hope rob doesn’t panic

Just keep Russ if you can’t deal him without giving up a 1st.

Patience.

Season is done. We are wayyy way off and even if we get “good enough” we ain’t catching up to suns bucks dubs in cohesion and grit.

Fire Vogel after season. Bring in a guy that can adapt. Tell ad he is full time center. Stay lean. Rest Lebron rest of year. Develop tht to trade him this summer.

Frustration is simmering between the Lakers and Russell Westbrook, who was benched in key minutes (again) Tuesday

For the second consecutive game and third time in as many weeks, Lakers coach Frank Vogel benched Russell Westbrook down the stretch in a game.

The first time, when Westbrook sat the final 3:52 of a 111-104 loss to the Indiana Pacers on Jan. 19, was shocking. It resulted in Westbrook having sit-down conversations with Vogel and vice president of basketball operations and general manager Rob Pelinka.

The second time, when Westbrook sat the overtime period of a 122-115 win over the New York Knicks on Saturday, was less surprising and also ultimately justified by the outcome.

But the third time, when Westbrook sat for the final 14:34 of a 131-116 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday night, was the most revealing of the Lakers’ waning confidence in Westbrook — and their urgency to bench him to win when necessary.

Vogel couldn’t place an exact reason for Westbrook’s recent struggles, which includes averages of 10.3 points on 27.5 percent shooting (and 15.4 percent 3-point shooting), 7.5 rebounds, 7.0 assists and 3.5 turnovers over his past four games. But the 26-29 Lakers, currently ninth in the West, are no longer at a point where they can be patient with Westbrook’s poor performances.

“It’s tough to say,” Vogel said. “He wasn’t that bad. The group that was making a run, we just left them in there in the fourth, aside from bringing Bron back. Had a tough night the other night, and a tough night shooting the ball tonight, but I thought he was competing. And the lineups have changed. He’s playing without AD one time on the road, and without AD and Bron, and without Bron, he’s got the ball a lot more, and it’s easier to get in a rhythm. And that’s how he’s played.

“But all those three guys are out there at the same time, it’s different. There’s less touches, and everybody’s out there sharing. So maybe tougher to get into a rhythm, but that’s one of the things we’re working through.”

The first time Westbrook was benched, the team advised him not to speak with the media. The second time, his answers focused on the team’s wellbeing and the fact that it won the game, even if his body language and tone suggested he wasn’t okay with the benching.

But the third time, Westbrook, who entered the interview room with a surprisingly buoyant attitude, immediately took a perceived dig at Vogel with his opening answer.

“Just gotta be able to make adjustments throughout the game,” Westbrook said before pausing and then going into more specifics.

Westbrook and Vogel have offered differing accounts of their communication in recent weeks.

Vogel has said he has communicated with Westbrook after each of the benchings, explaining his decision-making process. Westbrook has denied that claim, indicating he isn’t sure why he’s being benched, while also clarifying that the decision is the coaching staff’s prerogative.

When asked Tuesday to clearly state if Vogel has communicated with him about his benchings, Westbrook once again denied there has been transparency with his crunch-time role.

“No,” Westbrook said. “He hasn’t, but I don’t need him to be clear about whatever decision he makes, so that’s up to him. My job as a professional is to come to work, be in a positive mindset, do my work to the best of my ability and to encourage my teammates. That’s it.”

Westbrook seemed to take another dig when he mentioned consistency as the Lakers’ biggest issue, including the fluctuating lineup nightly.

“It’s difficult,” Westbrook said. “You never know when you’re coming in. You never know when you’re coming out. You never know when you’re playing. You never know a bunch of things. And I’m speaking for me personally. It’s a difficult process to be able to figure out and (create) a rhythm, (create) some consistency where we can actually see what we’re able to do as a team. But those decisions are made by him and this coaching staff, and you’ve gotta live with it and move on.”

Perhaps the most illuminating response was Westbrook’s answer to a question about the benchmarks he thinks he has to clear to make the team’s closing lineup. While cracking a smile, Westbrook took a defiant tone and claimed he should have already earned a closing spot.

“I don’t got that answer for you, brother,” Westbrook said. “I wish I did. I shouldn’t have to hit any benchmark, to be honest. I’ve put (in) a lot of work, and I’ve got a lot of respect in this game. I don’t gotta hit a benchmark, or I shouldn’t have to. I’ve earned a right to be in closing lineups. Numbers will tell you. I don’t have to explain that.

“But like I said, once again, that ain’t my decision. That’s his decision that he and the staff think is best for the game, and unfortunately (I’ve) just kinda gotta just go with it and figure it out the best way I can and be there for my teammates as much as I can and make sure I’m coming to work and doing my job as a professional.”

Westbrook has shown an unsurprising lack of self-awareness. If anything, his respect and numbers, as he alluded to, earned him a spot he didn’t always deserve in the closing lineup through the first 44 games of the season. He is not on the level of James or Davis — two-way superstars who remain top-10 players at their peak. He is a few notches below that level at this point and is even a harmful player at his worst moments — the reasoning behind the Lakers benching him in critical moments — due to his negative gravity, reckless decision-making and inattentive defense.

As he has continued to perform inconsistently, and his fit with James and Davis remains awkward, the Lakers have had no choice but to adjust. Vogel said his game plan always features Westbrook in the closing lineup, but that that can change depending on his performance or the context of a matchup.

“The game can tell you otherwise if other guys are gonna be in there,” Vogel said. “The game tells you that.”

For the second straight game, fans at Crypto.com Arena booed Westbrook — another sign of how far things have gone south with the Westbrook experiment. Westbrook continued his defiant approach when asked about the boos, stating that he cares more about using his platform for good, being back in Los Angeles and being able to spend more time with his family.

“It’s a sign of respect,” Westbrook said of the boos. “My mindset and how I think about this game and what I’m able to do for this game is not predicated on boos. I have a platform that I’m able to use … to do other things that God has blessed me with … and I will continue to do those things. Regardless of if people boo for me, cheer for me, cuss me out, call me names. It doesn’t really matter.”

That’s an optimistic way of spinning his fan base turning on him in recent weeks and months.

With 3.3 seconds left in the game Tuesday, Westbrook approached James and Davis, who were sitting next to each other on the bench, and put his arms on their shoulders, offering his support.

“Just give them encouragement,” Westbrook said. “Keep their head up, keep playing, tough night. And I told them I wish I could help them. Unfortunately, I wasn’t in the game to be able to help them, and that’s why I came here, to be able to help them out. So, unfortunately, I haven’t been able to do that for them, but that’s not my call. I can be there as a leader and as a voice, whatever it is that is needed for the team, and that’s what I’ll do until … my number or whatever is called during that time.”

James and Davis, both clearly frustrated, didn’t appear to take the gesture well — at least at the moment. That could have had more to do with the disappointing circumstances. The Bucks had just blown the Lakers out. But players are well-aware there are cameras on them at all times. That also could’ve just been a raw moment in which they couldn’t hold back their dissatisfaction with how the Westbrook gamble has played out.

The Lakers no longer handling Westbrook with kid gloves, from James’ and Davis’ recent admissions that he’s been struggling lately, to Vogel benching him and saying he has to play better, to the organization contemplating waving the white flag and trading him by Thursday’s trade deadline or this summer.

All told, it remains unlikely the Lakers are able to find a trade partner for Westbrook within the next 24 hours, increasing the chance that this situation becomes even more tense and awkward as Westbrook and the Lakers continue to lose patience with one another.

I don’t even care about season anymore

I want as much chaos as possible.

Hope the lakers lose today. Hope Russ plays and hope he goes 1/18 in 10 mins of play. **** them all. **** Jeanie. Rob. Etc etc all of them.

Back
Top Bottom