**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

D79DDF8B-D796-4EE7-8F2E-D2DA3669DD71.jpeg

Went to the game tonight.
Carmelo 🔥🔥
Westbrook 🗑🚮

I went to bed in the second. Looks like I missed another doozy.

I really hope they don't wear down Melo during this start. He's going to regress shooting at some point too.

Magic Johnson, 'The Thief' and the man who saved the Showtime Los Angeles Lakers

At a midday practice at Loyola Marymount University on Nov. 7, 1991, Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Dunleavy delivered an urgent and sudden edict to his players: They needed to head to the Forum in Inglewood, California, immediately. Every player had to be there, he said. "No exceptions."

That included a point guard named Sedale Threatt, a 30-year-old career backup who had been traded to the Lakers a month earlier. He had spent time in Philadelphia with Julius Erving, in Chicago with Michael Jordan, in Seattle with Gary Payton. His reserve role had given him a front-row seat to witness a slew of legendary players and moments.

"But," Threatt said of all those teams, "it was nothing like L.A."

Players rushed to the Forum. Behind the scenes, earth-shattering news that only a handful of Lakers officials knew -- and that they had been protecting for about two weeks -- was starting to leak.

It was there in the Forum locker room that Earvin "Magic" Johnson, their all-everything teammate who had missed the first three games of the season with what the team believed was a bad case of the flu, stood before them.

Johnson had tested positive for HIV, he told his teammates, and would be retiring, at 32, from the NBA. Tears flowed. Disbelief swelled to every crevice of the building.

Minutes later, Johnson emerged to speak at a news conference, with then-NBA commissioner David Stern, and spoke to the world in a moment that seemed to stop time.

"We thought it was a death sentence," said then-Lakers head athletic trainer Gary Vitti. "Just like the snap of a finger, the Showtime era was over."

Following Johnson's public announcement, the Lakers boarded a flight bound for the desert to play the Phoenix Suns the next day.

Dunleavy would tell Threatt, who'd most recently started in Johnson's absence, that he would remain in that role.

"No pressure," Dunleavy told him. "Just go ahead and play your game."

It began poorly. Threatt played 26 minutes and tallied 3 points, 2 assists and 2 rebounds. The Lakers shot 32% and lost 113-85, falling to 1-3.

The next day, Lakers general manager Jerry West proclaimed the team would not try to find a replacement for Johnson. Instead, he said, the Lakers would lean on Threatt, the Philadelphia 76ers' sixth-round draft pick (139th overall) in 1983 and the only NBA player ever from West Virginia Tech. A player who'd averaged 8.6 points and 2.9 assists over 544 games, just 110 of them starts.

This was the player who would replace Magic Johnson.

Threatt's connection to the Lakers began in Seattle, where he played three-plus seasons with the SuperSonics, a team that gave the Lakers trouble during the late 1980s. Threatt would pressure Johnson in the backcourt, once recording six steals against the Lakers during the 1989 playoffs. Known as "The Thief," he had gained admirers from afar, such as Lakers wing Michael Cooper, a fellow defensive menace who respected Threatt's tenacity.

"I was so enamored with him, playing against him for so many years," Cooper said.

And so it was that Threatt's phone rang one day in early October 1991. Threatt had been traded to the Lakers for three future second-round draft picks, and it was West calling to welcome him to the team. Johnson called, too, and told Threatt he'd be great in Los Angeles, that he could help the Lakers avenge the loss they'd suffered to the Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals four months earlier. Threatt knew he'd be coming in as a backup to Johnson, but he was excited. He had always wanted to play with Magic.

A month later, everything changed.

Threatt's role was unimaginable, Cooper said, one that no one would envy. Threatt had to not only try to replace Johnson but lift an emotionally devastated team.

He knew that if the Lakers faltered, West might descend the stairs, take a look around and shake up the roster. But, in the moment, Threatt thought more about Johnson and the personal challenges he was facing rather than himself. His job was easy: Play basketball.

"There was no pressure on me at all, to be honest," Threatt said.

Since Threatt joined the Lakers, Johnson had offered advice but wasn't overbearing, Threatt said. "He just wanted you to do the best you can under the circumstances."

After playing in Phoenix in their first game without Johnson on Nov. 8, the Lakers returned to Los Angeles and faced the Timberwolves on a Sunday night at the Forum. It should have been an electric home opener, but the team, and the city, were blanketed in a fog of tragedy.

By then, letters, floral arrangements and telegrams had poured in. George Bush, Ted Kennedy, Bob Hope and Oprah Winfrey all sent messages of encouragement. More than 600 faxes arrived in two days to the office of Johnson's agent, Lon Rosen. The Forum was inundated with get-well cards. Players around the league wrote Johnson's name on their shoes. Fans held replicas of Johnson's No. 32 Lakers jersey aloft during the national anthem.

The crowd gave the Lakers a standing ovation when they emerged from the tunnel, and forward James Worthy read a letter from Johnson to the crowd of 16,883. It read, in part: "I most want to tell you that this is the first day of the rest of our lives. I say this to you fans because we, the Lakers, need your support more than ever before. I say this to all my teammates because, starting now, it's winnin' time. And I'm saying it to myself, because this is an important battle to fight -- and in this battle you are all my teammates. Yours always, Earvin."

That night, when the starters were announced, Threatt heard his name, and what had felt surreal suddenly wasn't. The Lakers won 96-86, and Threatt scored 27 and added 14 assists, kicking off a nine-game winning streak. In that run, Threatt tallied 21 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists in a win at Golden State. He amassed 17 points, 7 assists and 8 rebounds in a win against Phoenix. He added 18 points, 8 assists and 3 steals in a win over the Spurs.

"Thank god we had him," said then-Lakers assistant general manager Mitch Kupchak.

On Dec. 13, 1991, the Los Angeles Times declared, "Word Is Out On Secret to Laker Success."

The story was about Sedale Threatt.

In 1991-92, Threatt started all 82 regular-season games for the first time in his career, averaging a career-high 15.1 points and 7.2 assists. The Lakers reached the playoffs before losing in the first round. He'd start all 82 games the next season too, again averaging 15.1 points a game, with the team again losing in the first round of the playoffs.

Threatt would go on to play three more seasons with the Lakers, starting 30 games from 1993 to 1996. His final season in Los Angeles coincided with Johnson's brief NBA comeback during the 1995-96 season.

"Laker fans were probably shocked at how well he played for us," West said of Threatt, "and the energy and the enthusiasm he brought every day. He was very much appreciated, much more than people would ever know."

But West also said recently he struggles to grasp the enormity of what was asked of Threatt in Los Angeles.

"No one player could have done that," West said, "because of the uniqueness of Earvin. And he was just an unbelievably solid contributor. He was a pro's pro, and even today, everyone would covet someone like him on their roster. Everyone."

It has been more than 20 years since Threatt retired after one final season in Greece. He has been trying to stay in shape, he said. He wakes at 5:30 a.m. He might go out for a run. But a month ago, the 60-year-old Threatt ventured to a basketball court near his home, and over the course of a couple of hours he played basketball -- just by himself. And on that day, on that court, something else happened. He began to cry.

He cried because of something he felt -- or, rather, something he no longer felt, and that was pain. For 18 years, he said, he had suffered from nagging pain: in his knees, his feet, his shoulder. Then he had a series of surgeries, one almost every two years, and, finally, the pain was gone, leading to a blissful two hours on a court where he could shoot -- and he can still shoot, he said -- and feel nothing but happiness.

"I can actually play basketball again!" he told himself.

Today, Threatt and his son, Sedale Threatt Jr., are in Melbourne, Australia, where they have lived for the past 18 years, running a basketball academy -- the Australia Basketball Digest -- together.

Threatt teaches kids about the game. He tells stories about playing with greats, including Magic Johnson. Some years ago, Threatt came back to L.A. with his youth basketball team, he said. They attended a Lakers game and saw Johnson in a hallway. He and Threatt caught up, and Johnson took photos with Threatt's team.

Threatt tells his players about Johnson and his legendary on-court awareness. He preaches a particular style, one that his team showcases on the youth circuit when it visits America.

They play at a breakneck pace, always taking the first open shot. "We're trying to score 200 points," he said. He wants them to run and gun.

He wants them to play just like the team he has always admired, Magic's Showtime Lakers.

I went to bed in the second. Looks like I missed another doozy.

I really hope they don't wear down Melo during this start. He's going to regress shooting at some point too.
I lasted til halftime. Team is not a fun watch for stretches but glad they won.

AD 44 mins
Melo 37 mins. 70 percent from 3.
All starters net negative in +/-

Took OT to win.

likely lose to heat but glad we got some easier games after (Minny, spurs…)

I saw a stat that AD takes more shots in the paint than Embiid.

Didn't even realize Melo has been better than hield. The buddy love needs to die already

The way Rondo utilized AD vs the way Russ played with AD was my biggest takeaway from last night.

Idk if it’s an issue that can be fixed with time or what but Russ needs to feed that man.

The way Rondo utilized AD vs the way Russ played with AD was my biggest takeaway from last night.

Idk if it’s an issue that can be fixed with time or what but Russ needs to feed that man.

Let's be real...its not not going to be fixed. Russ is who he is.

Just imagine 48 threes alongside 39 threes, AC probably still on the squad and not having to pay a turnover machine 47 mil next year....

Imagine...
I kinda like Carmelo for the value tho

russ gotta stop being an idiot tho
I was surprised he relinquished the ball to AD as often as he did. Baby steps? Lmao

I kinda like Carmelo for the value tho

russ gotta stop being an idiot tho
I was surprised he relinquished the ball to AD as often as he did. Baby steps? Lmao

That why I said along side. Melo probably still comes if Buddy comes. But we got a guy that will give us at least 6 turnovers in crunch time....

Back
Top Bottom