**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Wish he would use a screen and get a big man guarding him on the switch then go to work. CP3 and Nash used to kill us like that, going to work on Bynum and Pau

Russell gonna have a lot of games like this. When you rely on long jumpers and can't drive, you have off nights. And he turns the ball over too much at this stage of his career

He's a 2nd year player. What are you talking about this stage of his career.

Good god guys calm down.

At this stage of his career he turns the ball over a lot and makes bad decisions. I know high school sophomores that make better decisions with the ball

That doesn't mean he won't improve. I didn't know 2nd year players cocky as hell cant be criticized

8 assists, 7 turnovers so far. Everyone knows it's just two games, but he's a high turnover player and needs to improve on that. Not saying he won't

Last edited:
Jazz are a great defensive team not surprised they struggled. They're proving they're not just the same old 17 win team.

Dlo got tapped on like 3 shots in the 4th. Literally in and out. And he set up other guys for good looks. I'll live with that.

I knew this would be a tough matchup for Julius but his effort really bugs me. He had a great block though, hopefully he can learn to stay engaged and make plays like that.

Other than Kobe's farewell, Jazz blew us out every game last year. I was at one of them 
mean.gif

We just don't match up well against their D. We should be rioting in the streets because we kept it so close.

Tough game but it was still enjoyable to watch. Hope Dlo can learn from this

Favors dominating Randle was fun to watch.

Last edited:
Good game if the guards have a tiny bit better shooting night we win that game...and jazz are a playoff team

@Mike_Bresnahan Good news for the Lakers: Brandon Ingram diagnosed with knee tendinitis after MRI exam revealed no structural damage. Probable for OKC game.

Saw P talking about this... It's so early it means basically nothing.... But why not act like it means everything on an off night

Lakers
17th Off Efficiency 103
20th Def Efficiency 106.9

If this holds.... Here's some similar comparisons over the last 3 years

2015-2016
Kings 103.3 / 106.3 33-49
Pelicans 103.2/107.3 30-52
Nuggets 102.7/106.4 33-49
Grizzles 102.6/105.4 42-40

2014-2015
Kings 102.5 / 106.5 29-53

2013-2014
Pelicans 104.7/107.3 34-48
Nuggets 103.3 / 105.4 36-46
Pistons 102.9/107.3 29-53
Kings 102.9/106.3 28-54
Lakers 101.9/107.9 27-55

Those 10 teams, the average win total is 32.1 wins.

Last edited:
Saw P talking about this... It's so early it means basically nothing.... But why not act like it means everything on an off night

Lakers
17th Off Efficiency 103
20th Def Efficiency 106.9

If this holds.... Here's some similar comparisons over the last 3 years

2015-2016
Kings 103.3 / 106.3 33-49
Pelicans 103.2/107.3 30-52
Nuggets 102.7/106.4 33-49
Grizzles 102.6/105.4 42-40

2014-2015
Kings 102.5 / 106.5 29-53

2013-2014
Pelicans 104.7/107.3 34-48
Nuggets 103.3 / 105.4 36-46
Pistons 102.9/107.3 29-53
Kings 102.9/106.3 28-54
Lakers 101.9/107.9 27-55

Those 10 teams, the average win total is 32.1 wins.

I wonder if there's data showing the defensive gains/losses of those teams as the year went on. I want to believe we'll progress on the defensive end.

I wonder if there's data showing the defensive gains/losses of those teams as the year went on. I want to believe we'll progress on the defensive end.

Very valid... No idea how to go about finding that.... I assume you would likely would have to use record month by month as the first barometer, and then use that to research those numbers. But would need to input all the numbers daily on games to find the Off & Def Rtg for a month.

I feel like last night's game will be par for the course this year with the learning curve and the competition in the West. Win or lose, it's good experience for the young blood. 

Dlo recorded a max vert of 39" coming into the nba (30.5 standing). With work in the weight room and body development it's plausible to believe he gained a bit more explosiveness

But considering those numbers alone he should be dunking quite easily. Why does it seem like DLo has Andre Miller hops and can barely dunk? He'd be so much more dangerous being able to drive on occasion and dunk

For comparison, clarkson had a max vert of 38.5

A WAY TOO EARLY 2017-2018 OUTLOOK. (I'm bored)

Honestly think that it's a high likelihood that we roll out the same team next year regardless of how this one goes. Barring trades

Cap is projected at $102 mil. We either have 10 players $32mil in cap space or 12 players and $20mil in cap space.

Just look at each position.

Point Guard
Steph Curry - Never going to happen
Chris Paul (ETO) - Too old and not worth 4 year / $125mil
Kyle Lowry (ETO) - Too old and not worth 4 year / $110mil
Dennis Schroder (RFA) - Not worth maxing to see get him from Atlanta

Shooting Guard
Victor Oladipo (RFA) - Would need to be a max deal
KCP (RFA) - Pistons have very little cap room, unless they start unloading a lot of players. Likely takes a big offer

Shooting Guard
Kevin Durant (P) - Never going to happen
Gordon Hayward (P) - $25mil max (Unless Deng is traded, he's not the guy to tie all future cap space on)
Danilo Gallinari (P) - Would be a really good fit, but too many injuries, and would require a significant contract for not much gain.

Power Forward
Blake Griffin (ETO) - If he wants here, take him.
Paul Milsap (P) - Probably the most likely of any "Name." Good fit, but will be 32 years old. Not worth the $20mil+.
Serge Ibaka - No.

Either way, if we chased Griffin or Milsap, Deng needs to go. Just a salary cap move

Center
Steven Adams (RFA) - I'd max him, and make a salary swap on Mozgov, but Thunder have to match any and everything with Russ departure looming
Rudy Gobert (RFA)- Jazz will match everything
Nerlens Noel (RFA) - I'd love to have Noel, for what he brings defensively. In order to get him, would have to make a Sign & Trade. It's very tricky for him because Sixers have to unload him with Embiid looking great, and having Okafor for 2 more years at a cost control over Noel, but can't just let him go either.
Alex Len - Maybe a similar situation for Len that Sixers have with Noel, but the Suns have far more value on Len than Sixers do on Noel

After all of that, leaves us with Gordon Hayward, Blake Griffin, Paul Milsap & Nerlens Noel. And in every scenario, Luol Deng has to be traded before 2018 Free Agency in order to keep some flexibility going forward.

Out of those 4, Blake is the only game changer, where I say you add him, and we likely make the playoffs. Hayward & Milsap make us better probably just outside the playoffs, but we still would need a game changer in 2018 to ensure long term success, and less dependence on needing Ingram & Russell to be Top 20 players in the league to be contenders. Noel is a risk, and requires a 2018 Game Changer & Russell & Ingram to be perennial All Stars.

Now we could go another way, and look at Jrue Holiday, George Hill, JJ Redick and quality role players, but I'm going to be very uncomfortable committing even more salary toward role players when we have 7 rotation slots filled (at least) for 3+ years and what we are missing is guys who are at the top of that rotation next to Russell, Ingram, Clarkson & Randle

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom