**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

When did she say that? Far as I know she doesn't. Jim runs basketball ops, she handles the business side.

And if 'we're one player away' equates to 'move half the roster for carmelo' then magic really is the mascot
Who says the Lakers would have to "move half the roster" to acquire Carmelo?

LMAO.

When did she say that? Far as I know she doesn't. Jim runs basketball ops, she handles the business side.

This is how I know you're not as informed as you think you are.

Let's clarify shall we....

Jeanie's official title is PRESIDENT. This became official in 2013-2014.  Jim's official title is Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations. He has held this role since 2005-'06

If you didn't know, Presidents of companies, aka CEO's, hold rank over VP's.

Which means....Jeanie CALLS THE SHOTS. Period.

source:  http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los-Angeles-Lakers/13/staff-members

Last edited:
That explains why Jeannie was so upset at herself and devastated, even 'betrayed' when she didn't hire Phil as coach. Or why she had nothing to do with hiring Luke. Or how she said she 'empowers' them by giving them the tools and letting them make all the day to day decisions. Or how she gets the blessings of her shareholders, her siblings, and comes to a consensus when making decisions. She might have the power on paper but she doesn't exercise it like that. She stays in her lane.

She has said it in numerous interviews "I empower Jim" etc
She can overrule Jim in any decision

And when has she ever overruled Jim/Mitch on anything? Coaching hires? Draft picks? Free agent signings? ANYTHING? When she says she 'empowers' them what she means is that she doesn't meddle. She lets them do their thing and stays out the way. It's in no way an autocracy despite the heirarchy

Last edited:
That explains why Jeannie was so upset at herself and devestated, even 'betrayed' when she didn't hire Phil as coach. Or why she had nothing to do with hiring Luke. Or how she said she 'empowers' them by giving them the tools and letting them make all the day to day decisions. Or how she gets the blessings of her shareholders, her siblings, and come to a consensus when making decisions. She might have the power on paper but she doesn't exercise it like that. She stays in her lane.
You're going on a tangent and straying from the point.

The POINT IS - Jeanie can override Jim on ANY decision if she deems it necessary. Yes, of course, she empowers other executives to make decisions on their own. One of the primary roles of a President is participating with the executive team to make sure major decisions in all facets of the business are well thought out and executed properly. She can step in and override or she can allow them to make the calls, especially when it comes to basketball matters. Which explains why she empowers Jim, Mitch, Jesse, and Johnny to do their thing for the most part.

But the Lakers have been failing from a basketball standpoint, going on 4 years now, and Jeanie is now stepping in to realign the Lakers' vision.

So in the case of hiring Magic, she is not bound to Jim's consent prior to making the hire. Because hiring Magic was a BUSINESS related DECISION, more than it was a basketball-related move. And Jeanie can make that decision exclusively, although it's highly possible she consulted with her top people and her brothers prior to finalizing the decision. But again, the original argument was that you questioned whether or not Jeanie had more power than Jim and you said "Far as I know she doesn't," which is false.

Remember, the primary role of a President or CEO is to create and implement the organization's mission, vision, and overall direction as well as formulating, directing, and implementing the overall strategic plan that guides the direction of the business. The move to hire Magic aligned with the Lakers' future goals and plans and whether or not Jim voted against it, Jeanie holds rank.

Hiring a coach only affects the "basketball operations" side of their business and is why Jeanie can empower her brother to make the decision to hire a coach. It's like the President of Bank of America giving his senior VP's power to hire their division managers in different states without his direct involvement, but when it comes to bringing in a general counsel to oversee the ENTIRE company's compliance and risk operations (which is a much more high profile hire), the President can make the hiring decision on his/her own and if he/she chooses, only consult with C-level executives.  

Magic, on the other hand, is NOT a coach. Magic's role encompasses NUMEROUS ASPECTS of the entire Laker business hence why it's Jeanie's decision not Jim's.

Last edited:
Keep that cancer Boogie away. After tonight's game vs the Bulls, I concede he will never be a winner in the NBA. The way he behaves towards teammates, coaches, referees and players is deplorable. This type of behavior is who he is and won't simply change with a "change in scenery "

From my recollection, teammates actually liked Sheed even when he was racking up technicals. I read and hear about everyone not feeling the same way about Boogie.

Two days ago a poster who shall not be named said that he had sources that boogie was being shopped to LA
One day later the kings come out and say boogie is not going to be traded

Among the numerous other outlandish claims that have failed to happen idk why we even bother replying to this man

Latest mock draft from Ford:
2. Los Angeles Lakers*

Lonzo Ball

The Lakers are up to a 44.4 percent chance of landing a top-three pick in the draft, according to BPI. That's up 10 percent from last month. So while the odds still favor the 76ers landing this pick, things are looking up for Lakers fans at this point.

Kevin Pelton and I went deep on what the Lakers would do if they got the No. 1 pick on Friday. Despite the solid play of sophomore point guard D'Angelo Russell, both of us felt like they'd grab Ball or Fultz if they were on the board.

Ball is especially appealing to the Lakers. His elite passing ability combined with his unselfishness has the potential to make everyone on the roster better and allow head coach Luke Walton to play the sort of game at which the Warriors have excelled. Russell can swing to the 2 and combined with Jordan Clarkson gives the Lakers three ball-handling guards in the backcourt.
Lakers should be third though, and Ford has Josh Jackson going third.

Can anyone with college ball knowledge give the scoop on Josh Jackson?

I saw a game and his jumper look broke af...

Josh Jackson is the real deal. Hands down the best two-way player among Fultz, Ball, Monk, Smith. His game has been compared to Kawhi Leonard, Andrew Wiggins, and Jimmy Butler. I see a little Grant Hill in him as well, but not as good a ball handler as Hill. He has an NBA body, at 6'8" 210 lbs.

Jackson will eventually develop a better outside shot as his form and mechanics are there (just like it was for guys like Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd, and Scottie Pippen, who weren't known to be good outside shooters in college but developed into very reliable shooters in the NBA). Jackson just needs to work on shot repetition, which he will be able to get in the pro level where players have more time to do a lot of individual work unlike in college.

Jackson imo will go in the top 3.

If the Lakers end up getting a top 3 pick, they'd be better served taking Jackson over Ball or Fultz. Imagine having the playmaking, ball handling 6'9" Ingram at SG or PG, the 6'8" two-way player supreme Jackson at SF, the explosive and do-everything 6'9" Nance at PF, and 7'0" Zubac protecting that rim. That's length all over the place.

Last edited:
I see...

Praying we don't land him
roll.gif

That's all people like you do....

Is hope and pray. I see....

Last edited:
Trivia question...

In last year's WCF, do any of you know what it is exactly that gave the Warriors trouble against the Thunder when they fell behind 1-3?

Let's see who knows their basketball.

Last edited:
Can anyone with college ball knowledge give the scoop on Josh Jackson?

I saw a game and his jumper look broke af...
I get a MKG or Justise Winslow vibe. Athletic, high motor player, tough defender, makes winning plays, decent ball skills.

it's all such a crap shoot with the draft

we have all these young guys on our team hoping ONE of them becomes a perennial all star or super star type

then you have stars like Kawhi who nobody projected would be a superstar Finals MVP coming out of college

I always prefer going the route of acquiring established proven players rather than take our chances hoping young talent will flourish

If Butler and Paul George can be had for our top 3 pick on draft day, I'm all for trading it

it's all such a crap shoot with the draft

we have all these young guys on our team hoping ONE of them becomes a perennial all star or super star type

then you have stars like Kawhi who nobody projected would be a superstar Finals MVP coming out of college

I always prefer going the route of acquiring established proven players rather than take our chances hoping young talent will flourish

If Butler and Paul George can be had for our top 3 pick on draft day, I'm all for trading it

They can't. And it would make more sense to draft a kid and use the 2019 pick instead if we're looking to acquire someone, this draft is too talented.

Back
Top Bottom