**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

good read
hopefully he starts to improve

ive noticed his defensive technique is pretty bad though so :lol:
I feel like his positional defense has improved. Guys still go at him aggressively and have been hitting tough shots, but he's been in decent position.

My issue is that he doesn't play passing lanes well and doesn't use his length to create turnovers, so it's going to be hard for him to be seen as a plus defender. Maybe that's by design tho, looking at Jared's statements.

Idk I’m not too sold on RoCo I feel like he might freeze up over here lol
His basketball instincts and great hands when reaching in to poke/strip the ball (like Artest) are what make him a tremendous 3&D player. And the one thing that RoCo does at an elite level that Dudley touched on that is a Lakers' need from Kuzma: knowing how to play Position Basketball on D.

Peep RoCo's highlights against the Clips (5:03 - 5:26) and how he defends Kawhi. Now imagine him on our squad on D instead of Kuz.

But he ain't good according to a lot of Lakers fans who'd rather have Bogdanovic lol

Last edited:
Boggers is higher in DRPM and is a better shooter from 3 this season.

He would be a better pickup than Roco.

Typically, the Lakers have the advantage up front, but the Magic are playing Birch, Vuc and Gordon as starters with Issac out. Plus they got Bamba coming off the bench.

Boggers is higher in DRPM and is a better shooter from 3 this season.

He would be a better pickup than Roco.
I'd throw all the analytics and stats out the window. RoCo was the centerpiece in the trade that brought Jimmy Butler to Philly. Basically RoCo got traded for a top 10 player because he's always been widely considered as one of the best defensive wing players and off-ball defenders in the league pre- and post-injury. Bogdanovic is not even close to being on that level yet.

I'd take Roco and his length, ability to guard anyone on the wing, ability to get steals and blocks, and playoff experience over Bogdanovic and his advanced analytics any day of the week. Lakers tryna win now.

Unless Kuz can give us those things on D, and based on what Dudz mentioned yesterday, what the Lakers need from Kuz isn't shooting the 3, rather it's finding your role/identity and learn how to play solid position basketball on defense. He's having a hard time doing both. Boggers is not proven. IMO, RoCo is elite at playing in his defensive role and is known to be available at the right price.

Last edited:
Indeed Kuz may be a better player than Covington......

but Covington appears to be the better fit for this team and what we need.

kuz just too long on defense to be out there on the perimiter, he dont move his feet fast enough...he’s athletic for his size, but he’s got some of that big man stiffness, hes not as agile as say lebron or dwight.

Small gaurds be COOKIN him on the switch... I think this is his biggest obstacle on defense, not effort or consistency.

Yeah I get roco is better defensively and etc but I have a feeling that he might come and shrivel up lmao
That’s just me tho

Getting RoCo would be doubling down on the danny green archetype, which theoreticallyfits better next to Bron and AD. They're both disruptive defenders and volume 3 pt shooters. But neither one of them can dribble and are susceptible to long 3pt shooting droughts, since they dont score much besides catch and shoot 3s.

I dont know if that's worth the cost of Kuz plus whatever salary filler.

A closing lineup of kcp, green, roco, bron and AD would be pretty deadly tho.

I dunno......I get the appeal of RoCo, but Kuz.......he can do more than just catch and shoot. He can do that, obviously, AND do other stuff.

If/when we're closing games with

AD
Bron
Kuz
Green
KCP/Bradley

That's more than enough shooters around 2 elite players, and some solid defenders around Kuz. He would just have to be semi decent to survive. If he was even average that lineup would be scary because of what they could drop on you in 2-3 minutes offensively.

At some point, we will have a game(s) where Bron can't go, or AD in foul trouble, or whatever, and we need someone to step up and do a little of everything. RoCo isn't that guy. If Bron/AD played every second of every playoff game, sure RoCo would fit around them great, but if one is out for extended minutes, I rather have Kuz getting hot and helpin out than Cov.

Now, if we pull Collison, and they want to add another 3D, then maybe. But I rather just add Collison and have Kuz as insurance. Adding Collison should be enough itself, considering how deep we already are.

Indeed Kuz may be a better player than Covington......

but Covington appears to be the better fit for this team and what we need.

kuz just too long on defense to be out there on the perimiter, he dont move his feet fast enough...he’s athletic for his size, but he’s got some of that big man stiffness, hes not as agile as say lebron or dwight.

Small gaurds be COOKIN him on the switch... I think this is his biggest obstacle on defense, not effort or consistency.
Which is why I thought Dudley's comments on Laker Talk last night was so insightful. He basically said if Kuz cant find his role on offense with AD and Lebron on the floor, and if he cant step up on Defense....well, that's why Pelinka put him back on the trade block.

Fit. Fit. Fit. You nailed it on the head

Last edited:
I dunno......I get the appeal of RoCo, but Kuz.......he can do more than just catch and shoot. He can do that, obviously, AND do other stuff.

If/when we're closing games with

AD
Bron
Kuz
Green
KCP/Bradley

That's more than enough shooters around 2 elite players, and some solid defenders around Kuz. He would just have to be semi decent to survive. If he was even average that lineup would be scary because of what they could drop on you in 2-3 minutes offensively.

At some point, we will have a game(s) where Bron can't go, or AD in foul trouble, or whatever, and we need someone to step up and do a little of everything. RoCo isn't that guy. If Bron/AD played every second of every playoff game, sure RoCo would fit around them great, but if one is out for extended minutes, I rather have Kuz getting hot and helpin out than Cov.

Now, if we pull Collison, and they want to add another 3D, then maybe. But I rather just add Collison and have Kuz as insurance. Adding Collison should be enough itself, considering how deep we already are.
Very fair argument. I can totally see the Lakers going with the scenario as well, if we get Collison and keep Kuz as offensive insurance.

Which again, though, brings up the question of whether or not the Lakers believe they will pay Kuz top dollar when the time comes for his new contract. Plus I dont think the Lakers feel offense or shooting from deep is a major problem. I think if they move Kuz, it's to address perimeter defense. That's just me tho lol

Are the Lakers willing to wait to find out, considering their priority at all costs is to improve the team and win now.

Thing is Lakers don't HAVE to pay Kuz this summer. They can afford to wait until next summer. Also trading for RoCo takes them out of the Giannis sweepstakes.

Besides Lebron and Green, we dont have any 6'7-6'9" legit wing defenders that we can throw on Kawhi and PG. Clips are stacked with lengthy 6'8"-6'9" type players - they also got Harkless, Patterson, Jamychal Green, etc.

I wonder why they signed all those guys to help guard Lebron.

If Lebron or Green in foul trouble against LAC in the playoffs, are we confident Kuz can play decent on ball or help defense while guarding PG or Kawhi? That's kinda my thinking on it. Ntm the Clips lack of a center may cause them to wheel n deal for a 5 to counter our advantage inside.

Cant stress enough how much more we need a wing defender than a shot creator.

We may not even face the Clips in the playoffs. Tbh, if Bron plays like playoff Bron instead of a passive MFer like he has in the 2 matchups so far, we're fine with the personnel we have. Just need a backup PG.

No player at 1.8 mill a year is gonna be able to drop 35 on your head. We will keep Kuzma unless we get an overwhelming offer. You guys forget the money aspect. RoCo means we part with Kcp or green. That’s going backwards

Yup it'd pretty much have to be DG since KCP got a no trade clause.

No player at 1.8 mill a year is gonna be able to drop 35 on your head. We will keep Kuzma unless we get an overwhelming offer. You guys forget the money aspect. RoCo means we part with Kcp or green. That’s going backwards
Kuzma is the centerpiece, which is what gets Minnesota to do the deal. We can add Chef Cook and Daniels and be within 75% of the required salaries to match. Don't have to give up Green or KCP.

Reactions: DLF
Back
Top Bottom