**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Despite the losses and valid criticisms, this team has shown flashes of brilliance at times recently. Gonna be nice when they put it together

This. We had a good start but this is still a developmental year for the roster and the coach. We're losing big leads, young teams do that.

This. We had a good start but this is still a developmental year for the roster and the coach. We're losing big leads, young teams do that.
Disagree. It's the lack of cohesion, lack of offensive continuity, lack of communication on defense, poor rotations, all of the above. Although our "core" is young, there is no excuse for blowing 19-20 point leads two games in a row when you have veterans such as Swaggy, Lou, Deng, and Mozgov on the floor playing big minutes on this road trip. Those 4 seasoned vets alone are just as instrumental as the young guys and should know how to lead by example by playing with poise and composure. The fact that its not happening, let's me know that there are problems far bigger than just the injuries alone. Something's not right with the make-up and mentality of this roster as it stands now.

There are at least 5-7 games in the last month or so that we should have won easily, young team mentality notwithstanding.

Now if its the Timberwolves on the other hand, I'll give you that because the excuse is justifiable (which also helps to explain why their record is poor and seemingly underachieving)...since Rubio is the only vet on the roster who's playing significant minutes. The rest of their regular rotation is extremely young - Wiggins, KAT, Dunn, Dieng, Lavine, Bjelica, Muhammad.

Last edited:
Windhorst was on Lowe's podcast yesterday and said they got their eyes set on Gordon Hayward this summer. Hmmm...

sidenote: Hayward spent a week with Kobe this summer or last (i dont remember) trying to learn as much as he could from him 

Windhorst was on Lowe's podcast yesterday and said they got their eyes set on Gordon Hayward this summer. Hmmm...
Hayward has a player option for 2017-08 and if he doesn't exercise it, he would be a solid FA addition come summer. But he's still not the Alpha superstar we need to get us to the top. He's certainly an excellent #2 in a Big Three.

And the fact that we would have a logjam at SF with Ingram, Hayward, and Deng could mean one of two things: 1) Deng could be traded and 2) Ingram could be moved to PG/SG

We don't eem have enough money to offer him do we?
If we let all the prospective free agents go (Calderon, Swaggy, Tarik, Huertas) and lose the lotto pick, we'll have ~$31M in cap space. I think that's enough to fit in Hayward if he wanted to come, which I doubt. More likely to stay in Utah or go to Boston, I think.

Last edited:
He does, I'm assuming he opts out and goes elsewhere because as well as he has played I doubt the Lakers want to tie up their books for what he will seek.

I think Swaggerton Pizzle loves LA too much to leave but we'll see. Say they did make a push for Hayward though. Deng goes to the bench and Hayward plays the 4? Ingram at the 3? Or Ingram at the 2 and Hayward at the 3?

Disagree. It's the lack of cohesion, lack of offensive continuity, lack of communication on defense, poor rotations, all of the above. Although our "core" is young, there is no excuse for blowing 19-20 point leads two games in a row when you have veterans such as Swaggy, Lou, Deng, and Mozgov on the floor playing big minutes on this road trip. Those 4 seasoned vets alone are just as instrumental as the young guys and should know how to lead by example by playing with poise and composure. The fact that its not happening, let's me know that there are problems far bigger than just the injuries alone. Something's not right with the make-up and mentality of this roster as it stands now.

There are at least 5-7 games in the last month or so that we should have won easily, young team mentality notwithstanding.
And those are the type of things that will happen when your most talented players are 20-22 and you have a new young coach.

Moz, Deng and Nick are role players, they're not going to win games on their own. You need talent to close out games. Lou Will won us some games early, but he's come back to Earth some and his defense has always been terrible.

Our most talented players are still 19, 20 and 22. It takes time.

I think Swaggerton Pizzle loves LA too much to leave but we'll see. Say they did make a push for Hayward though. Deng goes to the bench and Hayward plays the 4? Ingram at the 3? Or Ingram at the 2 and Hayward at the 3?
Depends on Ingram's development, but you could start Deng/Hayward if Ingram is still not ready. Or move Deng to the bench for Hayward/Ingram.

I could see the Lakers giving Swaggy a one year max for like $30M, but I think Swaggy will want something more long-term.

Swaggy has been great
But he'll be a 32 year old UFA
1-2 year deal is what we should offer if we want to retain him, I'm sure he'd want 4 years

Heyward has been surprisingly good at the 2. Despite being a 3. Maybe could see how Vice Versa at the 2 & 3 with him and Ingram works. Whether that works here, who knows. But that could be an option.

Maybe if we could somehow get Deng out of here, I like Gordon a lot more. (Not happening at current moment. But possible if his play goes on the upward trend).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom