Justin Timberlake - "Man of the Woods" New Album

Gotta listen later or this weekend. Hoping I can enjoy it and not think it was done in a rush act :blush: .

I'll give it another chance since I fox with JT heavy but this album was meh after the first listen. I have a long drive later so I'll run the album again.

Damn, y’all reviews are disappointing me. Haven’t listen yet. However, with him finally getting back with NEPTUNES with the assistant of Timbaland you would think he’ll make a damn near classic. Long as it’s better thank 20/20 part 2. By far is worse album.

Production credits:

1. "Filthy"
4:53
2. "Midnight Summer Jam"
5:12
3. "Sauce"
  • Timbaland
  • Danja
  • Timberlake[a]
  • Ives[a]
4:05
4. "Man of the Woods"
  • The Neptunes
  • Timberlake[a]
4:03
5. "Higher, Higher"
  • The Neptunes
  • Timberlake[a]
4:18
6. "Wave"
  • The Neptunes
  • Timberlake[a]
4:24
7. "Supplies"
  • The Neptunes
  • Timberlake[a]
3:45
8. "Morning Light" (featuring Alicia Keys)
4:02
9. "Say Something" (featuring Chris Stapleton)
  • Timberlake
  • Timbaland
  • Danja
  • Dopson[a]
4:39
10. "Hers (Interlude)[37]"
  • Timberlake
  • Timberlake
1:01
11. "Flannel"
  • The Neptunes
  • Timberlake[a]
4:49
12. "Montana"
  • The Neptunes
  • Timberlake[a]
4:39
13. "Breeze Off the Pond"
  • The Neptunes
  • Timberlake[a]
4:11
14. "Livin' Off the Land"
  • The Neptunes
  • Timberlake[a]
4:53
15. "The Hard Stuff"
  • Timberlake
  • Knox
  • Hudson[a]
3:15
16. "Young Man"
  • Timberlake
  • Timbaland
  • J-Roc
3:45

Damn, y’all reviews are disappointing me. Haven’t listen yet. However, with him finally getting back with NEPTUNES with the assistant of Timbaland you would think he’ll make a damn near classic. Long as it’s better thank 20/20 part 2. By far is worse album.

20/20 2 is a classic compared to this new joint. 20/20 2 was Pop/R&B, this one is Country Pop. The beats are trash, his content is ****in weird at times. I read the interview from Pitchfork which I never do but they killed this album. JT finally got his dud.

^ You're not lying -- Pitchfork ratings are pretty accurate:

FSLS = 8.1
20/20 Pt 1 = 8.4
20/20 Pt 2 = 4.5
MOTW = 3.8

Disappointed off the first listen, I’ll run through it a couple more times but this is easily the least I’ve enjoyed a JT album off the first spin.

Montana sounds like a leftover Daft Punk/Pharrell collab...still digging the album though.

I think people trashing are a little bit harsh, it's by no means great but it has some pretty good tracks

probably would have been better to go the Bruno route and just put the 10 best songs on there and have it be a small album

The bad reviews are a bit overboard, especially Pitchfork. 3.8? lol

DVD0uxMVMAAvxPp.jpg

Pitchfork just wants to be the folks to go extreme in order to get attention

sadly it is the world we live in now, grey area is almost non existent anymore

This album is hot. A mix of Pop and Country sounds. I can get with most of this album. "Say Something" or The title track are my fav joints.

On a quick listen I'm digging Higher Higher the rest are fillers off a more mature, country Justified.

stillin729 stillin729 As you seem to be the main one moving this convo forward to discuss the album and sounds like you're a big fan of his, I wanted to quote you as I agree that it should've been cut to 10 like 24k. That album was like an experience/journey- it really went hard from the start through the end and it kept the same theme through. I was drawn to Justin through FS/LS- on the first listen, it literally felt like an out of body experience with the interludes, beat switches/transitions. Some of those songs just made me say DAMN!! There was no way I feel 20/20 could have topped it, but I feel like it did. Along with the same, those songs that really put you in a special place. My only gripe with 20/20 is they should've made it 1 disc with 14-15 tracks (most notably cutting Murder LOL) and it really would've been a "thriller" gem.

On the first listen through with this, it just feels too "busy." Maybe "too many cooks in the kitchen"?? As excited as I was to see Pharrell back on this project, he was 2/2 for sure with Timbaland- maybe he should've stuck with just him on this. Anyways, I'm curious to see what he releases with singles and how this album makes its way into the general public this spring/summer. One thing I will say, I don't make it out to the clubs/late night crowds anymore- but I'd love to see how Filthy is gonna do on the weekends. It's grown on me a lot, and I'm sure it's gonna go hard on the dance floor. There's def some cool tracks on here, but I don't know if it has it's MEGA hits that his first three albums have had. I guess stay tuned?

I think people are being overly critical just to be critical and I can understand some of the hate, but man this album is really fun. Truthfully there's only two tracks that I'm whatever about. Filthy is still just that to me. It's better in the ride and full volume, but still very lackluster and Wave is just flat out terrible, but past that there's some really good songs on there and some of the best Neptunes production in a minute. I dig it. And it's miles better than 20/20 part 2.

One thing we all can agree on- at least it wasn't a letdown to the level that Revival was :sick::sick:

stillin729 stillin729 As you seem to be the main one moving this convo forward to discuss the album and sounds like you're a big fan of his, I wanted to quote you as I agree that it should've been cut to 10 like 24k. That album was like an experience/journey- it really went hard from the start through the end and it kept the same theme through. I was drawn to Justin through FS/LS- on the first listen, it literally felt like an out of body experience with the interludes, beat switches/transitions. Some of those songs just made me say DAMN!! There was no way I feel 20/20 could have topped it, but I feel like it did. Along with the same, those songs that really put you in a special place. My only gripe with 20/20 is they should've made it 1 disc with 14-15 tracks (most notably cutting Murder LOL) and it really would've been a "thriller" gem.

On the first listen through with this, it just feels too "busy." Maybe "too many cooks in the kitchen"?? As excited as I was to see Pharrell back on this project, he was 2/2 for sure with Timbaland- maybe he should've stuck with just him on this. Anyways, I'm curious to see what he releases with singles and how this album makes its way into the general public this spring/summer. One thing I will say, I don't make it out to the clubs/late night crowds anymore- but I'd love to see how Filthy is gonna do on the weekends. It's grown on me a lot, and I'm sure it's gonna go hard on the dance floor. There's def some cool tracks on here, but I don't know if it has it's MEGA hits that his first three albums have had. I guess stay tuned?

to be honest, I just think people are choosing JT to be the current social media whipping boy

by no means is this album great but it isn't terrible, I listened again on my way home, it will be either be looked back on as a gem or it will stay a bust but it is 5 songs or so too many

taking the SB half time show was probably a curse in reality because he forced an album and it did not help with the title and first teaser but Bowie went through the same crap, if he doesn't bring out Janet then it will probably get worse for him

I was a huge Justin fan and thought that Justified was amazing, I still remember buying it the day that it dropped. I was hoping for Justified 2.0 and was disappointed. Initially I did not care for FSLS due to its absence of the Neptunes over time I loved it more and more and it grew on me. Surprisingly the Neptunes my favorite producers as well as Tim both failed miserably on this project. I prefer Justin over that signature Neptunes sound. "Higher higher" is really good, I really dig "Waves and "Montana" too. " Say Something " and " Supplies" are cool but for geniuses like the Neptunes and Timbaland they are mediocre. I cannot believe that Justin agreed to these beats he definitely is NOT as serious about music as he once was.

Back
Top Bottom