Just picked up a MacBook Pro..

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by dimez81

I was in one of our computer shops a couple months ago just lookign around and talking to the employees.
We got on the subject of HDD prices due to the flood, he said that they should be going down in the next few months or so and also that SSD prices should drop to $1.00 per gig. I hope it's sooner than later, I want a huge SSD. This 60gb aint cutting it.
do you have a secondary hard drive?  I use 256gb but thats because I run alot of programs like cs5 suite, final cut, logic pro tools.  I still have 115 gb left over...so a bit over kill.    I use my secondary hd for music and storage.
If you don't need that much space get a 128gb.  Much cheaper and could be found for $150 - 200.  
yeah I just recently had to add a second terabyte HDD because I filled the other one up. Between games music and movies I run out of space fast

do u know if it's possible to go straight from tiger to snow leopard???

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

Originally Posted by dimez81

do you have a secondary hard drive?  I use 256gb but thats because I run alot of programs like cs5 suite, final cut, logic pro tools.  I still have 115 gb left over...so a bit over kill.    I use my secondary hd for music and storage.
If you don't need that much space get a 128gb.  Much cheaper and could be found for $150 - 200.  
yeah I just recently had to add a second terabyte HDD because I filled the other one up. Between games music and movies I run out of space fast

do u know if it's possible to go straight from tiger to snow leopard???
My Mac experience is extremely limited, I'm a PC guy looking to get a MBP for school.

Hopefully someone else here can help you more than I can. But my guess is if you have the minimum requirements spec wise, then I dont' see why not. I know with Windows you don't need to go from XP to Vista just to get to Windows 7. If you have the right specs you can just upgrade

i need to pay attention to this thread. i got a macbook about a month ago and i havent really downloaded anything

Yo I got a question (not that tech savy) my Mac book pro is like 5 years old and still running 4.1 tiger. Can I just upgrade straight to snow leopard 6 skipping leopard 5?

c'mon help a o.g. NT member out....

Could have just googled it.

But no, you need snow leopard to upgrade to lion.

I got my blackbook running lion just a few weeks ago,

Yo I got a question (not that tech savy) my Mac book pro is like 5 years old and still running 4.1 tiger. Can I just upgrade straight to snow leopard 6 skipping leopard 5?

c'mon help a o.g. NT member out....

Wired.com was able to confirm that the Snow Leopard upgrade can be installed on a machine running Tiger. Of course, the transition isn’t guaranteed to be as smooth as it would be from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and that’s because some older, Tiger-only third-party applications need to be upgraded to newer versions that work with Leopard or Snow Leopard.
[font=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.wired.com/gadg...8/6-things-snow-leopard/[/font]

i need to pay attention to this thread. i got a macbook about a month ago and i havent really downloaded anything

i need to as well.  i have an ipad and i find it's a happy medium between using that and a PC.  the ipad is great for doing my productive tasks in my on-the-go life.  but i find myself having a strong need for a PC and do the important stuff.  if you're a light user (don't download anything, browse the web, write papers, etc) you truthfully don't even need a PC or an expensive MBP.  i'd like to have a MBP, but i think it's more of wanting to just have it rather than actually use it.

thnx, just ordered snow from Apple
roll.gif
@ ordered. 

Horrible timing though, new ones coming in a couple of months....i returned the macbook air that i won last nov to get the slimmer mac pros

Looking to buy a MacBook Pro myself... Sources say the newest edition should be dropping this year.
Should I wait to cop the newest version or buy myself the current MacBook Pro?

I've read the newest MBP's will get rid of the disc drive and regular hard drives and have SSD's already installed 

Originally Posted by Djhyper66

go under the setting on the trackpad,  click on "tap to click"

so you dont have to press down on the botton everytime, all you have to do is tap it.

Save your trackpad from wearing out so far,  when you press down on the trackpad so much the screw under it  get loose and doesnt click and you  have to open up bottom of ur laptop to adjust the screw so the  trackpad work good again.

THANK YOU!

Thanks fam, this thread has been helpful.
Definitely downloaded a few things that was mentioned.

laugh.gif
at the clowns who have never looked at the preferences on your Mac.

Good stuff, you guys came through in the clutch.

I downloaded a gang load of stuff, some of the more helpful ones were "The Unarchiver"

and also the "tap to click" setting in preferences 
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

I picked up the stock 13" MBP, i5 processor, 4gb of ram, and a 500gb HD. $1090 i believe after the student discount.

I am looking to upgrade the ram though, whats the most ram available that is compatible with my mac? 8gb?

And i read some of you saying to do it myself, this won't void my warranty anyway will it?

I think I'm also going to look into a ssd if it's that much faster, i just don't know what size to try and buy.

Oh and i'm also aware that new MBP's are coming out in a couple of months, but isn't that every year with apple?

my last laptop crashed and i needed a replacement asap so i said screw it and pulled the trigger.

^What do you normally do on a computer?  Or what do you plan on doing with 8gb ram and an SSD?

Back
Top Bottom