Just picked up a MacBook Pro..

MacBooks are great laptops but I'll never get an iMac I need more power out of a desktop.

With that said I'm getting a MBP when ivy bridge comes out. I see dude was talking about removing the ODD and installing a SDD. That's something I'd want to do. Can I just do that and use it as a boot drive?

Originally Posted by omgitswes

MacBooks are great laptops but I'll never get an iMac I need more power out of a desktop.

With that said I'm getting a MBP when ivy bridge comes out. I see dude was talking about removing the ODD and installing a SDD. That's something I'd want to do. Can I just do that and use it as a boot drive?
thats what i did
check out macsales.com

i bought their package containing the ssd, optical bay for the ssd, and external enclosure for the ODD

45 minutes to install max, boot time with the OWC ssd is 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by kiendienn

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

laugh.gif
u srs?
go to an apple store & just try one out.
nothing else compares
wink.gif
pimp.gif

roll.gif
@ returning a mac.
for a pc.
to do important stuff.
stop it.
Maybe not for a pc, but that's usually what happens. With the way Macs are presented/advertised, shouldn't they be capable
of doing everything possible, without having to add on multiple things? It seems like Macs can do a lot of novelty type stuff

(whether it's advanced music things, or stuff related to game networks), but seems to miss out on basic functions.
just shut up.
Spoiler [+]
do you just talk to talk or to spew your ignorance?
Ignorance? 
roll.gif
Calm down Aubrey, it ain't that serious. A lot of people I know end up "downgrading" from Macs
after awhile. My sister has a Mac, yet winds up using my regular ^@& Gateway just to do the simple stuff. Are you

personally offended are something? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by digital022

Strong avy to post ration

Thanks.

laugh.gif
 u srs?

I've used one here and there. The speed is incredible, but that's about it for me.

Nice, I'll just do that. SSDs are amazing. The one in my PC is crazy fast Windows 7 boots in no time

Maybe not for a pc, but that's usually what happens. With the way Macs are presented/advertised, shouldn't they be capable
of doing everything possible, without having to add on multiple things? It seems like Macs can do a lot of novelty type stuff

(whether it's advanced music things, or stuff related to game networks), but seems to miss out on basic functions.
just shut up.
Spoiler [+]
Ignorance? 
roll.gif
Calm down Aubrey, it ain't that serious. A lot of people I know end up "downgrading" from Macs
after awhile. My sister has a Mac, yet winds up using my regular ^@& Gateway just to do the simple stuff. Are you

laugh.gif

Yes, ignorance.
Wikipedia: Ignorance (or witlessness) is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).

You come into a thread to run your mouth about something you know absolutely nothing about.  I'm fine with you keeping your uneducated thoughts to yourself, but I'd rather it not impact other readers when you have nothing worthy to substantiate your claims.

"A lot of people I know" is not a statistical measure to actually claim that a significant amount of people actually downgrade.  Using your sister's story as an example proves nothing as your sister may not be proficient with technology to be a measure in terms of both platform's capabilities.

Your statements are based off of presentation and advertisements, which should be more than enough to explain your knowledge on either subjects.

Macs can do a lot of novelty type stuff

"Novelty typed stuff", "advanced music things", you don't know a damn thing about macs or computers 
laugh.gif

And your argument that mac misses out on "basic functions" that windows computers have is null considering parallels and bootcamp which you obviously know nothing about.

Look at the 5 or so quoted replies with users baffled by your misguided comments.

Just shut your yap and let the educated folk talk.  There's enough misinformed users out there, and we don't need to be breeding more.

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

Are they better than pc's ? And if so why?

laugh.gif
u srs?
nothing else compares
wink.gif
pimp.gif

I'm sure you will be returning it in a couple months when the novelties of it wear off, and you actually
need to do something important, so you end up buying a PC.

roll.gif
@ returning a mac.
for a pc.
to do important stuff.
stop it.

Oh, you must be talking about the "right click". Makes sense that you would take this stance.

just shut up.
Spoiler [+]
Ignorance? 
roll.gif

laugh.gif

Yes, ignorance.
Wikipedia: Ignorance (or witlessness) is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).

You come into a thread to run your mouth about something you know absolutely nothing about.  I'm fine with you keeping your uneducated thoughts to yourself, but I'd rather it not impact other readers when you have nothing worthy to substantiate your claims.

"A lot of people I know" is not a statistical measure to actually claim that a significant amount of people actually downgrade.  Using your sister's story as an example proves nothing as your sister may not be proficient with technology to be a measure in terms of both platform's capabilities.

Your statements are based off of presentation and advertisements, which should be more than enough to explain your knowledge on either subjects.

"Novelty typed stuff", "advanced music things", you don't know a damn thing about macs or computers 
laugh.gif

And your argument that mac misses out on "basic functions" that windows computers have is null considering parallels and bootcamp which you obviously know nothing about.

Look at the 5 or so quoted replies with users baffled by your misguided comments.

Just shut your yap and let the educated folk talk.  There's enough misinformed users out there, and we don't need to be breeding more.

You sound hurt. Sorry for that. I'm basing my thoughts off of my experiences with other people relating to Macs and PCs, what they told
me, and through my use of both of them. I just gave you the examples I had as a casual user of both. Didn't know I had to reach and dig

and bring you each source of my examples, regardless if you think they were vague or not. This is NT, not a National Convention. So don't

try to sit there on your high horse and try to insult my intelligence and get some e-props. We're both sitting behind a screen, so don't act

like you're standing in front of me, family, or any other NTers. I can't tell from your post that you're any more or less educated than I am,

so you don't be a chump and act like you do either.

Back to the topic OP, if you are really invested in your Mac (maybe games/music/workplace), on it everyday, you can probably get full

long term use out of it. If after awhile you find that you really just surf the net and have various unused apps and programs on it, then you

will more than likely benefit from a different type of computer.   

Originally Posted by buggz05

Oh, you must be talking about the "right click". Makes sense that you would take this stance.

Word.

go under the setting on the trackpad,  click on "tap to click"

so you dont have to press down on the botton everytime, all you have to do is tap it.

Save your trackpad from wearing out so far,  when you press down on the trackpad so much the screw under it  get loose and doesnt click and you  have to open up bottom of ur laptop to adjust the screw so the  trackpad work good again.

Ignorance? 
roll.gif

laugh.gif
Yes, ignorance.

You sound hurt. Sorry for that. I'm basing my thoughts off of my experiences with other people relating to Macs and PCs, what they told
me, and through my use of both of them. I just gave you the examples I had as a casual user of both. Didn't know I had to reach and dig

and bring you each source of my examples, regardless if you think they were vague or not. This is NT, not a National Convention. So don't

try to sit there on your high horse and try to insult my intelligence and get some e-props. We're both sitting behind a screen, so don't act

like you're standing in front of me, family, or any other NTers. I can't tell from your post that you're any more or less educated than I am,

so you don't be a chump and act like you do either.

Back to the topic OP, if you are really invested in your Mac (maybe games/music/workplace), on it everyday, you can probably get full

long term use out of it. If after awhile you find that you really just surf the net and have various unused apps and programs on it, then you

will more than likely benefit from a different type of computer.   

.... if you just surf the net, you will not benefit more from a PC...... a mac is less likely to end up with spyware/viruses/toolbars than a PC. 
I'd say if you have the money, a Mac is better for "just surfing" than a PC.

With that being said.... here's my post from last year about Macs/PCs

mac hardware (casing/screen) is better designed than almost all PC's
mac and PC internals (processor/drives) are equal in terms of performance and quality.

PC internals (processor/drives) cost less than mac ie. more power for less money.

OS X is equal in terms of functionality with windows 7.

-windows 7 has slightly superior file browsing interface

-OS X runs into significantly less viruses/spyware

-Compatibilty with printers/routers/peripherals is about equal. Windows 7 seemlessly intergrates and recognizes most as does OS X.

For a laptop I would choose a Macbook Pro.

-You can get a faster PC laptop for the price of a Macbook

-The hardware (touchpad/screen/battery life/weight/reliability) makes the price difference worth it.

-Most PC laptops feel plasticky and cheap compared to the Macbook.

-Gaming laptops look like %$#% and the battery life is just as ugly.

-The HP Envy line approaches the hardware quality of the Macbook but fails to match the Macbooks battery life/touchpad quality/firewire capability.

-All functions on the Macbook work very well.... close lid (macbook sleeps).. open lid (macbook wakes up).. battery dies COMPLETELY mid-session (plug charger in and, returns to same session) PC's tend to fail in these areas (usually buggy)

For a desktop I would choose a Windows 7 based PC

-Higher end components for cheaper price.

-Aesthetics don't really matter (you aren't going to carry tower around)

-Easier and cheaper to upgrade and maintain.

-You can get a faster computer + bigger screen than a relatively priced Mac.

The desktop difference is really just the operating system.(MAC has no significant mechanical superiority)

OS X lost its edge when Windows 7 dropped.

If you:

-Have no idea what to do if you get a virus/spyware = GET A MAC

-Want to play the latest games on your computer = GET A PC

-Want a laptop to do things other than gaming = GET A MAC (trust)

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Can I get the SSD installed when I purchase the computer? Or does Apple not do that.

yeah you can but it'll cost you more than diy, although if you only want a 128GB ssd apple's price to do it isnt too bad

you are wrong...I just got an Imac and it is powerful....more than my macbook pro....I just upgraded it to 16gb ram and add a samsung 830 ssd with the 1tb hd.   This thing is blazing fast.http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v17/dimez81/?action=view&current=photo-9.jpghttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v17/dimez81/?action=view&current=photo-8.jpg Yes as far as an ssd you can use it as a boot drive.  I use the ssd as the os and programs and  the hard drive for storage.I recommend doing this....for those that dont use there optical drive.

western digital

super fast.

CreateDestroy wrote:

mac hardware (casing/screen) is better designed than almost all PC's
mac and PC internals (processor/drives) are equal in terms of performance and quality.

PC internals (processor/drives) cost less than mac ie. more power for less money.

OS X is equal in terms of functionality with windows 7.

-windows 7 has slightly superior file browsing interface

-OS X runs into significantly less viruses/spyware

-Compatibilty with printers/routers/peripherals is about equal. Windows 7 seemlessly intergrates and recognizes most as does OS X.

For a laptop I would choose a Macbook Pro.

-You can get a faster PC laptop for the price of a Macbook

-The hardware (touchpad/screen/battery life/weight/reliability) makes the price difference worth it.

-Most PC laptops feel plasticky and cheap compared to the Macbook.

-Gaming laptops look like %$#% and the battery life is just as ugly.

-The HP Envy line approaches the hardware quality of the Macbook but fails to match the Macbooks battery life/touchpad quality/firewire capability.

-All functions on the Macbook work very well.... close lid (macbook sleeps).. open lid (macbook wakes up).. battery dies COMPLETELY mid-session (plug charger in and, returns to same session) PC's tend to fail in these areas (usually buggy)

For a desktop I would choose a Windows 7 based PC

-Higher end components for cheaper price.

-Aesthetics don't really matter (you aren't going to carry tower around)

-Easier and cheaper to upgrade and maintain.

-You can get a faster computer + bigger screen than a relatively priced Mac.

The desktop difference is really just the operating system.(MAC has no significant mechanical superiority)

OS X lost its edge when Windows 7 dropped.

If you:

-Have no idea what to do if you get a virus/spyware = GET A MAC

-Want to play the latest games on your computer = GET A PC

-Want a laptop to do things other than gaming = GET A MAC (trust)

I think this is actually the post (or thread) I was looking for way back as far as viruses go. Seems like there are 
slight differences from all three (including desktop), but nothing extremely significant to where you would really

need one over the other. I guess it's just what you prefer when it comes down to it. 1/2 second vs 2 second

loading times or slightly higher capacity hard-drives just don't really phase some people.

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

im thinking of selling my macbook and switching to a mac mini x ipad

I have a mac mini too...if you are just using it for browsing and light stuff then its perfect.  Just upgrade the ram.

Originally Posted by dimez81

you are wrong...I just got an Imac and it is powerful....more than my macbook pro....I just upgraded it to 16gb ram and add a samsung 830 ssd with the 1tb hd.   This thing is blazing fast.

Well yeah but I'm mainly talking about GPUs. I know iMacs have sandy bridge processors and also SSDs.
But the GPUs are pretty weak from what I remember, might of changed since I last checked but I game a lot and there's no way I can run some games on an iMac. Hell most games don't even run on OSX.

Originally Posted by mp3911

Call me when you have a desktop graphics card in that thing, not a mobile one.
See I don't do gaming.  I do photoshop, video editing and photos.  So the graphic card is just fine.  I leave the gaming for the ps3. If i wanted a dedicated graphic card I would go with a mac pro as a desktop.
Btw I have a windows 7 machine and I will choose a mac and day over pc....I hate using it....once you go mac you will never want to go back to pc..trust... 

I use my pc machine as a media server, movie storage, and blu ray burner.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Can I get the SSD installed when I purchase the computer? Or does Apple not do that.

I would definitely recommend that you DIY.  Replacing ram, harddrives, and batteries are extremely easy on macs and never worth the service fee that comes with it.
I highly suggest you buy your MBP bare-bones, and just upgrade it yourself.  Crucial ram from newegg is really cheap, and you have a lot more options in terms of SSDs if/when you want to upgrade as opposed to what Apple wants to give you.

you are wrong...I just got an Imac and it is powerful....more than my macbook pro....I just upgraded it to 16gb ram and add a samsung 830 ssd with the 1tb hd.   This thing is blazing fast.

Well yeah but I'm mainly talking about GPUs. I know iMacs have sandy bridge processors and also SSDs.
But the GPUs are pretty weak from what I remember, might of changed since I last checked but I game a lot and there's no way I can run some games on an iMac. Hell most games don't even run on OSX.
Oh I understand...with the 2011 top of the line the graphic cards are decent for gaming. you can always use vmware to run games.  There expensive though ...but yeah if you are heavy into gaming then def do a pc.

Originally Posted by Djhyper66

so you dont have to press down on the botton everytime, all you have to do is tap it.

Save your trackpad from wearing out so far,  when you press down on the trackpad so much the screw under it  get loose and doesnt click and you  have to open up bottom of ur laptop to adjust the screw so the  trackpad work good again.

didn't know about this, thanks.  I hated to click on it

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Originally Posted by Djhyper66

didn't know about this, thanks.  I hated to click on it

the best thing.  dont forget the secondary tap.

Back
Top Bottom