Jordan Retro 1 High “Laser” aka Custom Lasers Thread

Finally got a pair to make royals, so i may be getting another pair to make Chicagos after todays massive failure

100% regret putting the "Matte" finisher 
mean.gif

So I started my breds today and here's how the regular red compares to the 2012 chicago. Sorry it's pretty late so no sunlight to show the true colors, but this is the best I can get them. I have varsity red but that red looked way too dark and almost maroon to me. I think the regular angelus red pops out more than the red on the chicagos, but my sister thinks the opposite. Anyways, I definitely recommend regular red. It seems like the perfect shade to me. I still have to dye the sole, paint the sockliner, and do the left shoe. I have the GAC coming in the mail monday so I'll do the sockliner then. Also used 10% duller and it's a little shiny, but not too much where I hate it. Since everyone complains about the gloss of the angelus matte finisher, I'm going to buy the krylon matte finish.

Since this is my first custom, I definitely took a lot of time doing this and did a few things that I will not be doing on the left shoe. I missed some edges when painting so when I painted it black, I had to carefully paint them without touching the red (which I did do and ended up having to mask with red over again).

A few questions; 1) Is it bad that I had like a total of 4-5 coats on the toebox? Can you have too many coats of paint? (I did multiple coats because It looked uneven but I realized I should spend more time making thinner coats) 2) What did you do when painting the laser print because the paint wasnt penetrating the print after 2 thin coats, so I ended up putting thicker coats for the paint to go inside. 3) Did anyone else's back kill them after a while
laugh.gif
Screw my back pain.

Last edited:
for the wings logo and Nike air on the tongue i used this empty arcylic pen. Its a refillable paint pen and i just put angelus paint in it.

$4 at my local art supplies store.

also for those thinking about using matte finisher...

Top has matte finisher applied and bottom does not.

Last edited:
But what happens if I you don't use a finisher? I'm still confused.

I want the OG look of the Nike finish, how does one accomplish that? That's all I need to figure out before I make an order to Angelus.

Wore my Lasers for the first time yesterday, after wearing my Blk/Red the night before. The leather quality in the blk/red is good, but these... Another level. The soft insole and liner is a great touch also.
View media item 1559121

I want the OG look of the Nike finish, how does one accomplish that? That's all I need to figure out before I make an order to Angelus.
I think not adding a finisher lets the shoes be open to future cracking.

I wonder what finisher this guy used 
nerd.gif

Last edited:

So the paint doesn't peel/crack off. I heard of people not putting finisher and getting the paint stripped off from wearing them in the rain.

anyone know where is selling these under retail? What is the best option for sz 9? I want to jump on!

All these a Royal and Blk/Rd customs with the new mold are making me sad when I look at my 2013 pairs. Tough to compete with the way things look now. Really hope they drop an abundance in those colors with that mold in the near future.

Thanks for the tip on the pens @sskarizm I was looking into them as well. Did you have to thin the paint or did you just add it in?

Thanks for the tip on the pens @sskarizm I was looking into them as well. Did you have to thin the paint or did you just add it in?
nah i just put the paint in.

Btw .7 is perfect for the nike air on the tongue but for the wings logo i would go smaller.
All done. You can see all the pics in this thread
http://niketalk.com/t/627846/laser-royal-1

Wings were done with a paintbrush by hand

On Feet

You must have the most steady hands in the world. With a pen i couldnt make it look that good.

GJ

Back
Top Bottom