Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Is it a bad look to email a recruiter to see how long the selection process usually takes?

Yeah I don't see the harm in doing that at all. Reach out sat you're still interested and would like to know how long is the interview process.

Made it to VA...So far, this heat and humidity sucks and all the freeway rules of are kind of annoying.

Why is the speed limit 55 and everyone is driving at least 65-70?!?! 

I have to get my vehicle inspected yearly, in order to drive?

Drove into DC for a meeting yesterday...I had no idea the SW part of DC was rough.

But overall, I'm happy to be here. Hopefully I can meet up with some of you NT folks once I get settled.

Question. Been unemployed since Feb. Since then Ive been on a number of interviews using a resume stating that I was still employed at my prior job. About a month ago Ive decided to update my resume stating that I stopped working at my prior job in Feb. Since I have made this change the amount of interviews I receive has decreased significantly. Would it be a good idea to change it back, saying that I am still currently employed?

For a background test, how important is it to have all my previous employment hire/resignation dates correct? Specifically the months..

Made it to VA...So far, this heat and humidity sucks and all the freeway rules of are kind of annoying.

Why is the speed limit 55 and everyone is driving at least 65-70?!?! 

I have to get my vehicle inspected yearly, in order to drive?

Drove into DC for a meeting yesterday...I had no idea the SW part of DC was rough.

But overall, I'm happy to be here. Hopefully I can meet up with some of you NT folks once I get settled.
You come out for happy hour today after office hours or maybe tomorrow depending on the rain.

Congrats making it here. SE is more rough than SW tho

Question. Been unemployed since Feb. Since then Ive been on a number of interviews using a resume stating that I was still employed at my prior job. About a month ago Ive decided to update my resume stating that I stopped working at my prior job in Feb. Since I have made this change the amount of interviews I receive has decreased significantly. Would it be a good idea to change it back, saying that I am still currently employed?
Its easier to find a job when you're "employed". I feel like you should and really test the waters.

Its easier to find a job when you're "employed". I feel like you should and really test the waters.

It's been hell for me trying to get "something else" while I've been employed. I've been on tons of interviews
though but for some reason it's been a no go when I mention salary or they ask a question related to salary.

Last edited:
It's been hell for me trying to get "something else" while I've been employed. I've been on tons of interviews
though but for some reason it's been a no go when I mention salary or they ask a question related to salary.

Salary talk is always a tricky thing for me. During the interview, I usually make no reference to it whatsoever. I'd like to give the employer the impression that I'm more focused on the job, if anything. If they're interested, they'll make an offer and you can go on from there.

If mentioned during the interview, I'd tell them how much I currently make (if employed) and that I'd be "negotiable". Never sell yourself short though. Also, prior to an interview know what the average salary rate is for the position. If the job is paying 50k avg, don't go about asking for 80k unless you can strongly substantiate. Even then, I can't imagine an employer going over budget if not needed.

Best of luck to everyone!

Don't mention salary or how much you currently make.

Let them bring it up first.

Laid off in April.
Used mostly Linkedin/Network/Recruiters. LinkedIn won.
Negotiated Salary up and a signing bonus.
Start in a Week.

Interviewed everywhere: Corporate/Startup, Private/Public, Strategy/Corp Dev, Secondaries, PE/IB, and General Manager positions even.

Going back into IB, most natural and easiest fit.

Bittersweet to no longer be able to sleep in, but ready for the stacks to flow freely again.

Is it a bad look to email a recruiter to see how long the selection process usually takes?
Just to follow up, I emailed the recruiter,and 30min later got a call and was offered the job 
happy.gif

Laid off in April.
Used mostly Linkedin/Network/Recruiters. LinkedIn won.
Negotiated Salary up and a signing bonus.
Start in a Week.

Interviewed everywhere: Corporate/Startup, Private/Public, Strategy/Corp Dev, Secondaries, PE/IB, and General Manager positions even.

Going back into IB, most natural and easiest fit.

Bittersweet to no longer be able to sleep in, but ready for the stacks to flow freely again.

Just to follow up, I emailed the recruiter,and 30min later got a call and was offered the job 
happy.gif

A LOT has happened I NEED TO DECIDE SOON

I got a job offer at a car dealership I accepted. Haven't started yet did live scan and waiting for drug test, still haven't got sales license, waiting on results from live scan. The sales lead I'd work under said I'll make $60K nothing less comish +bonuses.

I've never had a comish job but I was open to it, being unemployed for 6 months now

I got an e-mail today about the marketing job I talked about in my last post, they want to move forward. The money is not all that, I still have not reached back to them.

I took the exam for the Post office PASSED Now I have a job interview tomorrow morning.

I don't know what I am going to do. USPS is a good company pay doesn't start out all that, but could be worth it in the long run.

All the people I've asked say go for the Post Office position, that's kind of where I am leaning towards as well.

ANY ADVICE BROTHERS?

Last edited:

Just to follow up, I emailed the recruiter,and 30min later got a call and was offered the job :D
Congrats bro.

A LOT has happened I NEED TO DECIDE SOON

I got a job offer at a car dealership I accepted. Haven't started yet did live scan and waiting for drug test, still haven't got sales license, waiting on results from live scan. The sales lead I'd work under said I'll make $60K nothing less comish +bonuses.

I've never had a comish job but I was open to it, being unemployed for 6 months now

I got an e-mail today about the marketing job I talked about in my last post, they want to move forward. The money is not all that, I still have not reached back to them.

I took the exam for the Post office PASSED Now I have a job interview tomorrow morning.

I don't know what I am going to do. USPS is a good company pay doesn't start out all that, but could be worth it in the long run.

All the people I've asked say go for the Post Office position, that's kind of where I am leaning towards as well.

ANY ADVICE BROTHERS?
Go Post office if all three offers are on the table at the same time. Happiness B, major key

Back from the interview with the post office. There were 50 other people. Went over applications as a group then postal employee went of them with each person. Then interview with a post master. The post master from the city I want to work in just so happen to be there. I spoke with him maybe 5 minutes he didn't ask me any interview questions at all besides tell me about yourself. Said he is recommending me for the city carrier assistant position pending a drug test/background check. 
pimp.gif

Been thinking about going the post office route my damn self!
Do it, after going there today and meeting with them it seems like a great place if you want stability. I asked about the career path, the women whom checked my paperwork said they've been hiring 200 a month and she knows someone whom hired in Nov last year an was on as a career in Dec of last year. And the opportunities are endless. If you do not want to be a city carrier they have opportunities within like IT/Marketing/Operations/Postal police those jobs they hire within. I plan on trying to get into IT or Postal Police possibly in the future but who knows. 

Just apply, it is a long app. Take the assessment, strongly agree or disagree no in the middle answers. Take your 473 exam score above 70% then submit your application. If you have any questions feel free to DM me. 

Good news my brothers! Went in for an interview yest and got a call today with an offer. The HR rep sent me a link to fill out so they can run a background check and everything will be a go!

Im here filling out the background check and have a question. I did some temp work for about a year thru an agency. They assigned me to a company where Ive been the entire time I was at the agency. In the background check would I submit the name of the Temp Agency, or the organization that I was working with?

Back
Top Bottom