it appears da prayers of certain NTers have been answered VOL. Restaurants Banning Tipping

good, it should be banned in all restaurants. in most other countries tipping is not required.

tipping is basically an excuse for restaurants to staff themselves at essentially no cost, free labor. they pay them nothing so we the patrons can pay their wages. why should i pay your wages, im not your employer.

that's how it should be done. if you go to australia a server at a cafe can make a good living, they dont tip there.

So what's the incentive to provide top notch service if you're guaranteed a standard tip?
pride in your job... just like any other job.
Well yeah, obviously pride in your job *should* be enough incentive for anyone in any profession.  But let's keep it funky---a lot of people are lazy as hell, servers included. 

If you're a ****** server knowing you're working for tips, can I really expect you to get better when you're getting 18% off the top just for showing up?  

So what's the incentive to provide top notch service if you're guaranteed a standard tip?

pride in your job... just like any other job.

People talking about no incentive to bust their ***. But look at it this way, the servers will treat everyone the same and not discriminate based on how the patrons are dressed, what car they drive, etc.

True.

You will always have your ****** waiters

but places Ive been with gratuity added service has been just as good/better

Im not expecting the serving industry to go rogue off this kind of rule

and if they will really pay those kind of wages, your job isnt safe with that kind of slouch behavior...plenty of folks will apply for that gig with that pay range

Yea I'd rather it just be added to my ticket. Aint got time to remember/decide how decent the waiter/waitress was. Now they can just get what they get and stop crying

Banning tips? this is like forcing tips
laugh.gif
this.. call me cheap or whatever but 15% is the max i tip.. they're talking about charging 18% no matter what. what if i'm highly dissatisfied with the service? i'm not for this at all.

15-30 an hour is **** compensation for what servers usually make. The stingiest places I worked as a server, would still walk out with 60-80 a night at the least. Where I am now its 100+ even on offnights and 300+ doing banquets
pimp.gif

These restaurants will realize that they will have no servers if this actually happens.

^ Yeah, if you're not making at least $25 dollars an hour (including tips and wages) then find a better restaurant to work at. $30-50 dollars an hour is where it's at.

What motivation does the server have to give you good service if he is getting paid anyway?
I think I'd rather stick to tipping people that offer good sevice and leaving next to nothing for those that do not.
And the article says some servers getting $30 an hour? :rofl: that's ridiculous
Teachers getting paid scraps and losing jobs in Cali but somebody bringing my club sandwich is getting $30 an hour :lol:

this.. call me cheap or whatever but 15% is the max i tip.. they're talking about charging 18% no matter what. what if i'm highly dissatisfied with the service? i'm not for this at all.

if you're highly dissatisfied with the service pay up and then eat somewhere else next time or hope for the best.

this is what you get when you can't reward people based on performances :lol:

Tipping in Europe
By Rick Steves
No matter where you are, tip extra if the service has been especially good.
No matter where you are, tip extra if the service has been especially good.

Tipping in Europe isn't as automatic and generous as it is in the United States, but in many countries, tips are appreciated, if not expected. As in the US, the proper amount depends on your resources, tipping philosophy, and the circumstances. That said, there are big tippers and there are misers the world over. Tipping varies widely by country, but some general guidelines apply.
Tipping at Restaurants

Restaurant tips are more modest in Europe than in America. At restaurants, check the menu to see if service is included; if it isn't, a tip of 5-10 percent is normal. In most places, 10 percent is a big tip. If your bucks talk at home, muzzle them on your travels. As a matter of principle, if not economy, the local price should prevail. Please believe me — tipping 15 or 20 percent in Europe is unnecessary, if not culturally insensitive.

Tipping is an issue only at restaurants that have waiters and waitresses. If you order your food at a counter (in a pub, for example), don't tip.

At table-service restaurants, the tipping etiquette and procedure vary slightly from country to country. But in general, European servers are well paid, and tips are considered a small "bonus" — to reward great service or for simplicity in rounding the total bill to a convenient number. In many countries, 5 percent is adequate and 10 verges on excessive.

In Mediterranean countries, the "service charge" (servizio in Italian, service in French, servicio in Spanish) — usually figured at 10 or 15 percent of your total bill — can be handled in different ways. Sometimes the menu will note that the service is included ("servizio incluso"), meaning that the prices listed on the menu already have this charge built in. When the service is not included ("servizio non incluso"), the service charge might show up as a separate line item at the end of your bill. Fixed-price tourist deals (a.k.a. menu) include service.

In northern and eastern Europe, the menu or bill is less likely to address the "service charge," but you can usually assume that it's included in the prices.

Virtually anywhere in Europe, you can do as the Europeans do and (if you're pleased with the service) add a euro or two for each person in your party. In very touristy areas, some servers have noticed the American obsession with overtipping — and might hope for a Yankee-size tip. But the good news is that European servers and diners are far more laid-back about all this than we are. Any tip is appreciated, the stakes are low, and it's no big deal if you choose the "wrong" amount.

Typically, it's better to hand the tip to the waiter when you're paying your bill than to leave it on the table, particularly in busy places where the wrong party might pocket the change. Servers prefer to be tipped in cash even if you pay with your credit card (otherwise the tip may never reach your server); in many cases, there isn't even a line on the credit-card receipt for a tip.

In Germanic countries, it's considered discreet and classy to say the total number of euros you'd like the waiter to keep (including his tip) when paying. So, if the bill is €42, hand him €50 while saying, "45." You'll get €5 back and feel pretty European.
Taxis

For taxis, round up to the next euro on the fare (to pay a €13 fare, give €14); for a long ride, to the nearest 10 (for a €76 fare, give €80). If the cabbie hauls your bags and zips you to the airport to help you catch your flight, you might want to toss in a little more. But if you feel like you're being driven in circles or otherwise ripped off, skip the tip.
Hotels

At hotels with porters, pay the porter a euro for each bag he carries; it's nice (but not required) to leave a small tip in your room for the housekeeping staff when you depart.
Other Services

Tipping for special service is optional. Guides who give talks at public sights or on bus or boat tours often hold out their hands for tips after they give their spiel. If I've already paid for the tour or admission to the sight, I don't tip extra (but if you feel you must tip, a euro or two is enough for a job well done). In general, if someone in the service industry does a super job for you, a tip of a couple of euros is appropriate...but not required.

When in doubt, ask. The French and British generally tip hairdressers, the Dutch and Swedish usually don't. If you're not sure whether (or how much) to tip for a service, ask your hotelier or the tourist information office; they'll fill you in on how it's done on their turf.

Updated for 2013. For lots more tips, check out our best-selling Europe Through the Back Door travel skills guidebook.
Contact Us | About Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Privacy and Copyr

$15 - $30 an hour??
eek.gif

Not sure if that's a fair trade off, but I would DEF start waiting tables part time
laugh.gif
honestly servers at a hot spot make way more than 15-30 an hour if they are doing it right

if a typical bill is 200+ or even break it down to 100 avg tip is about 15-20%  and these waiters are def waiting on more than 1 group per hour

even those olive garden waiters prob making about 20+ an hour on average

only downside is most waiters prob prefer tips because most of it is in cash and thats uncle sam free higher hourly rate just means less motivation and less ca$hflow

only downside about being a waiter is its like gambling never know who might be a stingy non tipper but when its hot its hot

On one hand, it doesn't allow people to be stingy. On the other hand, it doesn't give people the option to leave no tip if given poor service. 

I wouldnt have an issue with tipping if it was out of appreciation. It is expected that you tip at food spots and barbershops. The smug *** barber and waiter already know they are getting a tip anyway, especially barbers. Instead of charging $15 a cut + tip, cut the ******** and make the price $18-20. Aint nobody fooled by that $15 sign. And unless the cut is extremely fresh, chances are you dont deserve that tip anyway.

Kinda cuts the middleman to me.

Tipping is kinda like an unwritten rule. People have always said if you can't afford to tip then don't go out to a sit down restaurant to eat.

Now you know what the deal is before you go. Your not forced to go to their establishment and eat. If it bothers you that much then you don't have to go there.

On the flip side, if an at will employee gets to comfortable and provides inadequate service because they know their getting paid regardless then complain to management or corporate if the service is really that terrible. Most likely you'll get your meal for free or some type of discount.

I wouldnt have an issue with tipping if it was out of appreciation. It is expected that you tip at food spots and barbershops. The smug *** barber and waiter already know they are getting a tip anyway, especially barbers. Instead of charging $15 a cut + tip, cut the ******** and make the price $18-20. Aint nobody fooled by that $15 sign. And unless the cut is extremely fresh, chances are you dont deserve that tip anyway.
:rofl: @ paying over 10-12 for a quick and simple male/guys hair cut. The hell you paying 15+ tip for? Designs in your hair?

This policy sucks, I wont be able to give my standard $2 tip anymore.
mean.gif

ill def tip if the situation calls for it but the only time im sometimes in a tipping situation is at a bar. i try to avoid other situations where it is customary.

i can walk instead of taking a cab, cut my own hair, make my own food, or get it from something like a food truck or carry out.

Back
Top Bottom