Is there any worse stretch of road than 495 MD/VA? vol. work commute

I swear everyday this week there was an accident caused by some fools. Everything is going fine and then SPLAT, complete stop. It is maddening coming to and going to work. Everyday I ask myself, why do so many people on the road crash into each other? Why are we so lax on driver education? 
I know there are worse parts in the country for traffic but it shouldn't take an hour everyday to get 3 miles down the road. 

I swear everyday this week there was an accident caused by some fools. Everything is going fine and then SPLAT, complete stop. It is maddening coming to and going to work. Everyday I ask myself, why do so many people on the road crash into each other? Why are we so lax on driver education? 
I know there are worse parts in the country for traffic but it shouldn't take an hour everyday to get 3 miles down the road. 

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Probably why its mandatory in MD to take drivers ed.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Probably why its mandatory in MD to take drivers ed.

im glad someone made this thread 495 is the worst. i'm only 30-40 min from DC but when i'm going out there during rush hour i leave ~2 hours ahead.

but 295 is even worse because its only 2-3 lanes, so if theres an accident forget it. once i was stuck on 295 for 2.5 hours just chillin in my car.. some kids got out and started tossing a football around
laugh.gif

like i said in that richest counties thread

DT43 wrote:
i love the Bethesda/Chevy Chase/DC suburban area (dont live there), but the main problem is the traffic.. theres no such thing as "rush hour" there.. the question is when is it NOT rush hour. the other day it took me 45 min to go 5 miles on Rockville Parkway, and that was around 3pm 
indifferent.gif

the area definitely has a lot of access, but the congestion can be a dealbreaker for some.

30t6p3b.gif

im glad someone made this thread 495 is the worst. i'm only 30-40 min from DC but when i'm going out there during rush hour i leave ~2 hours ahead.

but 295 is even worse because its only 2-3 lanes, so if theres an accident forget it. once i was stuck on 295 for 2.5 hours just chillin in my car.. some kids got out and started tossing a football around
laugh.gif

like i said in that richest counties thread

DT43 wrote:
i love the Bethesda/Chevy Chase/DC suburban area (dont live there), but the main problem is the traffic.. theres no such thing as "rush hour" there.. the question is when is it NOT rush hour. the other day it took me 45 min to go 5 miles on Rockville Parkway, and that was around 3pm 
indifferent.gif

the area definitely has a lot of access, but the congestion can be a dealbreaker for some.

30t6p3b.gif

Glad to see I'm not the only one...
The situation on 495 is even worse because there are plenty lanes to move smoothly. All it takes is TWO or THREE people to ruin it for THOUSANDS. The numbers just aren't adding up. I feel like the drivers at fault ought to receive more than a slap on the wrist and a bump in insurance payments for screwing it up for people who end up late to work, meetings, meet-ups, etc. 

295 is a joke too. I've seen the traffic in NY and California, yeah, wasn't fun either.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Glad to see I'm not the only one...
The situation on 495 is even worse because there are plenty lanes to move smoothly. All it takes is TWO or THREE people to ruin it for THOUSANDS. The numbers just aren't adding up. I feel like the drivers at fault ought to receive more than a slap on the wrist and a bump in insurance payments for screwing it up for people who end up late to work, meetings, meet-ups, etc. 

295 is a joke too. I've seen the traffic in NY and California, yeah, wasn't fun either.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Lived in LA for a long time and moved out here to the DMV area (MD to be exact). So I've lived in two of the WORST city commutes. 495 is horrible during rush hour. I remember going to Tysons Corner from the Wheaton/SS area cruising around 10-15 mph. Took pretty much 2 hours to get there.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Lived in LA for a long time and moved out here to the DMV area (MD to be exact). So I've lived in two of the WORST city commutes. 495 is horrible during rush hour. I remember going to Tysons Corner from the Wheaton/SS area cruising around 10-15 mph. Took pretty much 2 hours to get there.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I also forgot, 66 coming from Gainesville/Manassas area is also pretty bad. It seems like 66 is the only major route for most of NOVA to get into DC. Who ever thought that was a clever idea was a genius! But then again, they didn't have that many people with cars back when they made it. 

I also forgot, 66 coming from Gainesville/Manassas area is also pretty bad. It seems like 66 is the only major route for most of NOVA to get into DC. Who ever thought that was a clever idea was a genius! But then again, they didn't have that many people with cars back when they made it. 

The ultimate blower to any day, good or bad.

When you compare the area size to the amount folks leaving and entering the district in a single day, its a recipe for disaster.

But the rush hour crashes don't make any sense, yeah the beltway is nascar at any other time, but during rush hour you should already know what time it is and be prepared to go absolutely nowhere.

The ultimate blower to any day, good or bad.

When you compare the area size to the amount folks leaving and entering the district in a single day, its a recipe for disaster.

But the rush hour crashes don't make any sense, yeah the beltway is nascar at any other time, but during rush hour you should already know what time it is and be prepared to go absolutely nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom