Is the southern rap reign done ?

king x riece

Banned
I mean T.I which we all agreed at one point was "the king of the south" is type washed and looks like is career is on a downward spiral. Also Young Jeezy has fell off the face of the earth to the point where his label doesn't even want to release his album. Ofcourse guys like Gucci Mane will continue to have his lane but we all know he will never be a mainstream rapper like the aforementioned T.I or Young Jeezy. The only guys holding down southern rap right now is Rick Ross and Lil Wayne. We all know how people feel about Ross you either love dude or you hate his guts and at this point is Lil Wayne is probably the 1st or 2nd biggest hip hop star in the world but is he even considered a southern rapper anymore ? Compared to how he used to rap when he was in his prime imo i would say no, dude completely changed his southern style of rapping and took on more of a east coast swag. This thread isn't meant to hurt feelings i just want to see what you guys think thatisall 
ohwell.gif

I mean T.I which we all agreed at one point was "the king of the south" is type washed and looks like is career is on a downward spiral. Also Young Jeezy has fell off the face of the earth to the point where his label doesn't even want to release his album. Ofcourse guys like Gucci Mane will continue to have his lane but we all know he will never be a mainstream rapper like the aforementioned T.I or Young Jeezy. The only guys holding down southern rap right now is Rick Ross and Lil Wayne. We all know how people feel about Ross you either love dude or you hate his guts and at this point is Lil Wayne is probably the 1st or 2nd biggest hip hop star in the world but is he even considered a southern rapper anymore ? Compared to how he used to rap when he was in his prime imo i would say no, dude completely changed his southern style of rapping and took on more of a east coast swag. This thread isn't meant to hurt feelings i just want to see what you guys think thatisall 
ohwell.gif

I swear there is a bigger picture to this, that a lot of people just don't see. They swear its a regional thing, when in all actuality, the next big hit could come from Kansas City. Drake is killin all clubs I go to right now, and he's from Canada.

...It isn't so much of a regional concern for no one out side of the East Coast. Drop the ego, and make hot music.

I swear there is a bigger picture to this, that a lot of people just don't see. They swear its a regional thing, when in all actuality, the next big hit could come from Kansas City. Drake is killin all clubs I go to right now, and he's from Canada.

...It isn't so much of a regional concern for no one out side of the East Coast. Drop the ego, and make hot music.

With the Internet and more access to more information and music, I don't think too much of a certain style stands out anymore as much as it did before.
Regionality = faded to the back

With the Internet and more access to more information and music, I don't think too much of a certain style stands out anymore as much as it did before.

Originally Posted by zyr12

agree 100%

agree 100%

Every region has their shine, but I think the bigger picture is artists coming from specific regions and just doing their thing with their own style. Almost adding back to what Hip Hop really is. Region shouldn't really matter unless u make songs geared towards a specific sound thats popular in said region. Every region has their local hits that sometimes end up blowing up to nationwide notoriety.

I think new dudes like B.O.B, KRIT and maybe even Jay Elec & J. Cole will hold it down for the South.

Every region has their shine, but I think the bigger picture is artists coming from specific regions and just doing their thing with their own style. Almost adding back to what Hip Hop really is. Region shouldn't really matter unless u make songs geared towards a specific sound thats popular in said region. Every region has their local hits that sometimes end up blowing up to nationwide notoriety.

I think new dudes like B.O.B, KRIT and maybe even Jay Elec & J. Cole will hold it down for the South.

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

agree 100%

yeah pretty much. I do think the southern reign is done. It's not a regional thing anymore and I think it's gonna stay that way for long time because rappers now have their own unique style now everyone is different in their own way.

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

agree 100%

yeah pretty much. I do think the southern reign is done. It's not a regional thing anymore and I think it's gonna stay that way for long time because rappers now have their own unique style now everyone is different in their own way.

All the regions had equal exposure this year.

Luda, Ross, Wayne, Flocka. The south will always be relevant.

All the regions had equal exposure this year.

Luda, Ross, Wayne, Flocka. The south will always be relevant.

Back
Top Bottom