Is Nike no longer as cool as it used to be?

The sort of white folks that would buy a diff brand than Nike for political reasons are 1) the kind who buy a pair of sneakers once every three years and don’t replace em until they’re absolutely cooked beyond presentability, 2) not buying expensive pairs, and 3) were never cool to begin with.

If a Monarch costs $3 to make and sells for $70, and a limited Dunk costs $5 to make and sells for $130+… that’s still a lot more revenue and profit than you’re thinking.
Maybe Im misunderstanding what you’re saying because I know you’re not saying they’d more revenue on the limited sneaker.

I went to The Shoe Game and read some of the "theories", and it was just like when Boost was it.

I prefer comfort, lack of innovation, blah blah

I don't think a lot of people have been into sneakers long enough to even recognize the cycles. Next year people might be wearing Vans, Chucks or Air Max 97's again.

Those On and Hoka's seem more in competition with Skechers and the Air Monarch demo.

I appreciated the Nike stock drop so I could buy some though :nthat:

I went to The Shoe Game and read some of the "theories", and it was just like when Boost was it.

I prefer comfort, lack of innovation, blah blah

I don't think a lot of people have been into sneakers long enough to even recognize the cycles. Next year people might be wearing Vans, Chucks or Air Max 97's again.

Those On and Hoka's seem more in competition with Skechers and the Air Monarch demo.

I appreciated the Nike stock drop so I could buy some though :nthat:

Hope it dips some more 😈

Hoka has some gems. Visited the flagship store here in NYC many times with my Mother who switched from Nike to Hoka and she and the products sold me. Comfort, quality, and just the overall energy was pretty dope. Saw a few Nike athletes rockin’ Hoka in recent years off camera around the city. N

But damn Nike article buddy posted has some truth to it. Aside from the Pegasus 39, never really rocked with. Ike running shoes and it seems like alot of their running’s shoes are for snow instead of go. Haven’t tried the Pegasus 40 yet.

Two things can be true, truth is from a comfort standpoint Nike really hasn't had a game changer in terms of comfort recently outside of maybe the vamero? I haven't tried All of Nike's running shoes/trainers but I haven't found 1 that I would rather travel/walk/run with over most NB, Hookas or Asics top tier shoes

Also true, from a branding/goodwill standpoint NIKE is in a league of it's own, DOMINANCE in apparel and sneaker category that despite this blip persists and will continue into the near future and beyond.

I think Nike's big mistake was removing a lot of their stock from Footlocker, and other vendors and taking a more direct to consumer approach, during the pandemic it seemed like the right move and I was even on here saying as much going as so far to say FTL and other vendors were ******. Looks like I and Nike were wrong, Nike increased their physical footprint and have been forced to eat massive losses when their product sits instead of having Footlocker and other vendors pay Nike then deal with stale inventory.

Which leads me to my last point, truth is the above mistake wouldn't really matter if the products were good, product as mentioned here in Jordan Forum and elsewhere has gotten worse, significantly. Jordans increasing 100% in price and declining in quality. Too many variations of ****** products, ridiculously overly designed stuff, when on the site, I always wondered, who is this stuff for? appears nobody lol

Steve Jobs to Nike which imo still rings true today....

"Nike makes some of the best products in the world. Products that you lust after. But you also make a lot of crap. Just get rid of the crappy stuff and focus on the good stuff."

"He was absolutely right," said Parker. "We had to edit."

Last edited:
Two things can be true, truth is from a comfort standpoint Nike really hasn't had a game changer in terms of comfort recently outside of maybe the vamero? I haven't tried All of Nike's running shoes/trainers but I haven't found 1 that I would rather travel/walk/run with over most NB, Hookas or Asics top tier shoes

Also true, from a branding/goodwill standpoint NIKE is in a league of it's own, DOMINANCE in apparel and sneaker category that despite this blip persists and will continue into the near future and beyond.

I think Nike's big mistake was removing a lot of their stock from Footlocker, and other vendors and taking a more direct to consumer approach, during the pandemic it seemed like the right move and I was even on here saying as much going as so far to say FTL and other vendors were ******. Looks like I and Nike were wrong, Nike increased their physical footprint and have been forced to eat massive losses when their product sits instead of having Footlocker and other vendors pay Nike then deal with stale inventory.

Which leads me to my last point, truth is the above mistake wouldn't really matter if the products were good, product as mentioned here in Jordan Forum and elsewhere has gotten worse, significantly. Jordans increasing 100% in price and declining in quality. Too many variations of ****** products, ridiculously overly designed stuff, when on the site, I always wondered, who is this stuff for? appears nobody lol

"Nike makes some of the best products in the world. Products that you lust after. But you also make a lot of crap. Just get rid of the crappy stuff and focus on the good stuff."

While Steve’s quote is true they can’t compare a consumer staple which always has been for the masses vs Apple which was always a premium product. I mean Nike is somewhat premium but vs a balenciaga or other companies that also make sneakers it’s pretty affordable.

The DTC has definitely hit them hard but them limiting stock of items to create artificial shortage is what really kills them. Their margin on air monarchs is what it is and they sell a lot of those than they do Kobe’s in a given quarter so they won’t stop selling those with zero royalties and zero marketing. But create more higher margin shoes and be innovative. Is always state this, they haven’t invented anything for basketball since the flyknit for weight and the carbon fiber plate with zoom air is still the staple that most players love. Where is the innovation regarding that? That’s the AJ11 which is from when 95? Common man you gotta try harder than that.

While Steve’s quote is true they can’t compare a consumer staple which always has been for the masses vs Apple which was always a premium product. I mean Nike is somewhat premium but vs a balenciaga or other companies that also make sneakers it’s pretty affordable.

The DTC has definitely hit them hard but them limiting stock of items to create artificial shortage is what really kills them. Their margin on air monarchs is what it is and they sell a lot of those than they do Kobe’s in a given quarter so they won’t stop selling those with zero royalties and zero marketing. But create more higher margin shoes and be innovative. Is always state this, they haven’t invented anything for basketball since the flyknit for weight and the carbon fiber plate with zoom air is still the staple that most players love. Where is the innovation regarding that? That’s the AJ11 which is from when 95? Common man you gotta try harder than that.
Good points, I don't know anybody that works at Nike but I have confidence they will turn it around.

that’s all everybody wears and spans generations

And yea Hokas killing out here.

I mostly replaced my Nike shorts for Lulu and Vuoris, and Temus lol 3 for 9$. prices is disrespectful though on those first 2 you gotta catch them on ebay
I was in DSG the other day, Nike has a nice line up of running shorts but they were all like $50-60. Naw I’m good

I guess it is a trend a bit. I have my cycles of when I’m tired of wearing Jordan products because that’s all I see lol.

I can’t get with the other rising brands this time around because they just don’t appeal to me. Boost was a little bit different.

Yeah, I saw they're going back to Amazon also.

Some people like to look and try on kicks still. With young kids, you can't just buy online with the way their feet grow.

I was in DSG the other day, Nike has a nice line up of running shorts but they were all like $50-60. Naw I’m good
gotta get your Ross, Burlington, TJ Maxx, Marshall's game up. You can get Nike stuff for like 14.99, that's one good thing since it's so ubiqitious and especially the outlets always have deals. With the other brands I mentioned like Lulu and Vuori, Lululemon store was straight disrespectful, they don't even have a sale section. Dri fit workout shirts, plain, start at $98. Copped one off ebay though and it's my favorite shirt lol, I think they're bamboo and metal somehow or something. But yea I still rock Nike sneaks, tried to get into Adidas because their outlet be giving those UltraBoosts away, but I couldn't get the sizing right, size down, up, too narrow, too wide, just couldn't get a solid sz 13 fit.

Speaking of fit, 40 years later or whatever the fit on AF1 Lows is still big trash. I had some I was aobut to throw away, did an unrelated tie dye project with my girls, and then thought do people dye shoes and went down a rabbit hole on Youtube and decided to try to die them.

Well, the lowtop AF1's take die AMAZING (there's even a trend of using coffee to do so and one Youtuber makes them for some mystery sz 17 NBA player) but the 2 pair I had were both some weird material (the All Star Salt Flats and some weird all royal blues) that is kind of like nubuck suede but maybe not then some clothish patches that take stains and therefore also dye amazing. Threw my Nike Offline 3.0s in there too because they're too pink adjacent, didn't take at all but it did darken them a bit out of the pink range. I can wear them in the pool and gym locker room

Prices for Nike workout clothing is crazy. I Been rockin’ Old Navy and workout brands from Amazon and they’ve been amazing. Quality especially. Had a rotation of champion compression sheets for two years until they started tearing and fraying whereas my Nike Pro compression shorts died after a few months,

It just seems it’s a death by 1000 cuts. It’s not some
shift to adidas. These kids today and older people now have a ton of options they see as good or better than.

Comfort is king now. Not cool. All the IMSA racing teams I swear use hoka or on. Not one nike in sight besides me lol. When I go out I don’t see nike as dominant. I see these kids at my child’s school wearing just about everything.

Also they missed the worn look. The golden goose move has been replicated by new balance etc but nike mostly ignored it. It was hot and still is with certain groups.

I think they need to roll out a serious loyalty program. SNKRS ain’t it. I have a private event to attend at Nordstrom tomrorow for being a valued customer. I must have spent at least 50k over my lifetime on Nikes and it doesn’t matter to them. So my loyalty wasn’t appreciated and I now buy anything.

No doubt this brilliant company will make adjustments and they will remain #1. But we are seeing a shift that seems to be permanent.

Back
Top Bottom