IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

And this is why threads like this exists.

I dont know in what world would anybody choose a prime Magic over a prime Kobe to win championships that is. Of course in pickup ball Kobe gets picked over mostly everybody and I seriously think thats how most of yall think

And Im sure the majority of "I only watch the player with the ball the entire game" fans would rather have a 30+ scorer than a "play making" pg. But dont ever tryout for Head coaching position anywhere past junior high.

Magic had much as more talent on his teams than Kobe ever played with. If Magic had played a few years we would've known how great he was individuality.

I honestly think Kobe=Magic because to say Magic is so great is too forget how stacked those 1980s Lakers teams were

[quote name="ricky409"]can anyone explain this?

how the team gets better when he shoots less?[/quote]Yes. Other people are GOING to shoot. Kobe is never going to shoot 100% of the shots.

When a player takes a shot after not shooting for an extended time, he's more likely to miss.

Makes sense, right?

Then when he misses and Kobe (we assume) thinks "Dammit, I should have shot it", then that player doesn't get a chance for another long time, he's even more likely to miss, because he's cold and because of the pressure of not wanting to suffer consequences of Kobeball again.

Man I cant believe how far some you guys are willing to go in order to 'prove' Kobe is overrated.

Orthokine (i.e. regenokine) is far, far different from what Lance Armstrong did.

From wikipedia, orthokine is defined as:
This is a natural way to heal body parts, almost like stem cell therapy.

If your gonna give credit to orthokine instead of Kobe's work ethic, what about all the other players in the NBA that used the procedure and aren't playing at Kobe's level?
Lance Armstrong used the PED, erythropoietin which is formulated in a lab and injected into an athlete's arm providing them with more endurance during exercise.

How is that any different from Lance Armstrong taking out his blood, storing it for a few months, and then putting it back in? You do know blood doping can be done that way too right

How is that any different from Lance Armstrong taking out his blood, storing it for a few months, and then putting it back in? You do know blood doping can be done that way too right

Basically because they say its different :lol:

I really think alot of the things they ban are riduclous. I really think anything short of steroids really isnt cheating and that includes HGH and blood doping.

Yes. Other people are GOING to shoot. Kobe is never going to shoot 100% of the shots.

When a player takes a shot after not shooting for an extended time, he's more likely to miss.

Makes sense, right?

Then when he misses and Kobe (we assume) thinks "Dammit, I should have shot it", then that player doesn't get a chance for another long time, he's even more likely to miss, because he's cold and because of the pressure of not wanting to suffer consequences of Kobeball again.
OK...

soooo.. why doesnt he just stop shooting so much so they can start winning?

Some overrated guy blocked Lebron twice yesterday

Some overrated guy who stopped played defense for a few seasons now was going HARD in an all star game because the man he aspires to be but will never be just said words.

Where was this defensive effort a few weeks back against Miami when the game mattered?

Oh

Ok

See how that works?

:lol:

Some overrated guy who stopped played defense for a few seasons now was going HARD in an all star game because the man he aspires to be but will never be just said words.

Where was this defensive effort a few weeks back against Miami when the game mattered?

Oh

Ok

See how that works?

laugh.gif
That would be funny if Kobe actually guarded Lebron when the Heat play the Lakers.  He usually guards Dwayne Wade.  World Peace usually guards Lebron. Nice try though. 
grin.gif

Where was this defensive effort a few weeks back against Miami when the game
He was all Defensive team 1st and 2nd team the past few seasons too so what are you talking about on that part too? 

You're not helping Kobe by highlighting that fact
and your not helping your bball credibility by thinking that fact hurts kobe.  kobe is a 2.  bball players usually guard their position unless there is a mismatch or they r needed on somebody else.  therefore he guards wade (who is almost just as unguardable as lebron) and artest who is a 3 guards lebron. no reason for kobe to guard lebron when the lakers 3 is a better defender and he already has his hands full with wade.

i no yall get mad when some of us call u out on the fact that u have probably never played real ball before but some of u just make it way too obvious

and your not helping your bball credibility by thinking that fact hurts kobe.  kobe is a 2.  bball players usually guard their position unless there is a mismatch or they r needed on somebody else.  therefore he guards wade (who is almost just as unguardable as lebron) and artest who is a 3 guards lebron. no reason for kobe to guard lebron when the lakers 3 is a better defender and he already has his hands full with wade.

i no yall get mad when some of us call u out on the fact that u have probably never played real ball before but some of u just make it way too obvious

No reason to guard lebron? I guess artest getting worked for 39 was not enough reason to grow some and check the best player. Kobe spectacular allstar defensive display was proof that he can guard lebron regardless of position and seeing how much success artest was having, his defensive expertise was needed. But nah, put earl Clark on him...

If he can't guard lebron at full throttle with your season going down the drain dont he doesnt get points by taking advantage of him playing half speed in a meaningless game. Unless there is an all defensive all star game team...

Last edited:
Magic had much as more talent on his teams than Kobe ever played with. If Magic had played a few years we would've known how great he was individuality.

I honestly think Kobe=Magic because to say Magic is so great is too forget how stacked those 1980s Lakers teams were

How does saying Magic is great discredit his teammates? You can't be great while having great teammates? Like once you're surrounded by talent your talent decreases? :lol:

Dirk calls him best of this era.
Wade calls him best of this era.
Gary Payton calls him best of this era.
MJ says he takes Kobe.
Larry Bird says he would want to play with Kobe.
Magic says Kobe is best Laker of all time.

NT folk say he's overrated. :lol:

Opinions of guys that played with and against him >>>>>>> clowns watchin on their tv's with tears in their eyes.

Last edited:
Dirk salty that Duncan won more.
Wade pop that clown in his nose. Actions speak louder than words.
Payton should thank Shaq for his one ring.
MJ takes kwame brown 1st overall. Yeah he knows talent.
Larry wants to play with ROBIN.
Magic worst analyst on TV.

Come on man.

You dont think Dirk would DISS the GPFOAT? The guy who legit "karl Malone" him?

Did wade not pop kobe in the nose 2 years ago? Also wade doesn't win his 1st without Shaq. The disrespect.

Same thing with Payton. Also in 04 kobe cost that laker team a title.

MJ the GOAT for now but he knows lebron is coming.

Larry a clown for wanting to play with a laker. Also he played with other great like chief and Mchale. I wonder how they feel about Larry's comments.

Magic Johnson a 5 time champs and 3 time FINALS MVP. Kobe himself said winning is everything. Winning and being the man 3 times. Thats GLOAT.

I'm not trying to explain how foolish any of that is. But I will say Dirk was extremely complimentary of Duncan, so your reasoning makes me laugh so hard. Keep trying tho. :lol:

Averaged 10+ assists and shot less = wins

But it seemed Kobe would rather shoot than win going back to the "Kobe System"
can anyone explain this?

how the team gets better when he shoots less?

The whole kobe shoots less lakers win more argument is so tired. What matters is players making the right basketball decisions, does Kobe always do that?

It's not about a certain amount of shots he should take, or how many points he should score. You can skew stats to prove the complete opposite point, which I don't even agree with btw:

Statistics:
-- Kobe has scored 40+ points in 112 regular season games & 12 playoff games for a combined 124 games.
-- Lakers have a combined 88-36 winning record for 71% win rate both regular season and playoffs.
-- When Kobe scores 40+ points going 1919/3731 he is currently making them at a combined .514 FG% rate.

Regular Season:
-- When Kobe scores 40+ Lakers in those games have a 78-34 winning regular season record good for a 70% win rate.
-- An 82-game season would equate that as a 57-25 regular season record.
-- Kobe has made 1733/3384 shots good for a .512 FG% for the season.

Playoffs:
-- When Kobe scores 40+ Lakers in those games have an 10-2 winning playoff record good for 91% win rate in the playoffs.
-- Kobe has made 186/347 shots good for a .536 FG% in the Playoffs.

No reason to guard lebron? I guess artest getting worked for 39 was not enough reason to grow some and check the best player. Kobe spectacular allstar defensive display was proof that he can guard lebron regardless of position and seeing how much success artest was having, his defensive expertise was needed. But nah, put earl Clark on him...

If he can't guard lebron at full throttle with your season going down the drain dont he doesnt get points by taking advantage of him playing half speed in a meaningless game. Unless there is an all defensive all star game team...
I understand you're trying to make a point and all but ask yourself okay if I pull kobe off of guarding wade and put him on lebron....who is gonna guard Wade? Wade is what top 5 guard in the league as well right? Yea lebron went off against World peace and Earl Clark but imagine what Wade would do too.It would be an easy call if Wade was a scrub but he's a 2 time NBA championship winner, taking kobe off of him would be just stupid.

Last edited:
:lol: this thread is still going.

Kobe Bryant isn't overrated...depending on where and what you are rating him by.

He's one of the greatest players of all time for sure. Top 10, 15 player ever. This will rustle some jimmies, but he's probably the greatest Laker ever.

He isn't the greatest ever. He isn't better than Michael Jordan. Hell, this will rustle some Jimmes as well, but he has never been better than Lebron James either.

Kobe was never far and away the greatest player in the game at anytime. Even at Kobe's peak, you had guys like Allen Iverson, Tmac, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, whom many considered "better." I don't think they were, but it certainly can be argued. When Michael was at his peak, everyone in the NBA and around it, knew he was far and away the best player the league had to offer. In much similar fashion, nobody questions who's been the league's best player for the past 3 to 5 seasons.

What makes Kobe so great to me, is that he maximized his potential fully. He's awesome at what he does. He's had one of the finest careers in NBA history. But, he's never been the clear cut best player in the game when he was playing, and he's been extremely fortunate.

Back
Top Bottom