Is it Time to Revisit What the MVP Actually Means?

antidope

Supporter
I was going to post this in the NBA thread but I feel like theres so much to say that this should be a standalone thread. This in my opinion is the biggest travesty in the recent history of this award, worse than when Derrick Rose won it over LeBron and I think that it will finally bring the MVP and what it represents and what its supposed to represent into question.

I will start by saying that for years I was a proponent of "The MVP should go to the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER" school of thought, but recently I have given up on that because it simply can not work. Theres no way to support it because its largely based off hypotheticals. I've come around to the MVP basically belonging to the best player on the best team or some variation of it which is how the vast majority of voters and fans view the award.

That brings us to this year. In all my years I've never seen the MVP race turn out this year, where its blatantly obvious who the MVP is going to be. I honestly thought he was going to get every first place vote, but clearly he didnt and its finally time for the NBA to either change the name of the award, or create strictly defined criteria for the thing.

Changing the Name: The MVP hasnt meant "Most Valuable Player" for a long time. Its an award that goes to the best player on the team with the best record or something similar. A players "value to the roster" is taken into account, but not in such a way that it is really a meaningful factor, the stats and the record take precedent. If we were talking strictly value, I.E. "If this guy does down, this team is finished" I wouldnt give that award to LeBron this year. If he goes down, the Heat still make the playoffs at a decent seed and advance to the second round. If I had to base the award completly off of "Value" then I'm giving it to Kobe or Carmelo. Two teams that arent that good to begin with and if they lose that guy then its all over for them. If the award isnt going to the "Most Valuable Player" but rather the best guy, then why not change the name. Call it the MDP "Most Dominate Player" or something similar to that"

Defined Criteria: That can be summed up by the article that was done by the person who gave Carmelo Anthony his first place vote, the only first place vote that LeBron Didnt get. Rather than retype things I will just post my response to the article from the NBA Thread below: 
Don't know if this was posted but the guy that voted for Carmelo was from the Boston Globe. Great article

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...gzGaxzlt9KF0JDfqM/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw
I knew this would be his logic. As much as I agree with it and was preaching those same sentiments earlier this year, that isnt what the MVP is about to people, and it hasnt been that way for years. Its now about whos the best player on the best team or some variation of that. Kudos to him for going about it the right way though.

Wade should have won MVP that year he dragged that Heat team into the playoffs. When he got hurt they were clearly the worst team in the league. I've given up on the MVP going to the "Most Valuable Player" though. It doesnt work that way simply because no matter how sound of an argument you make, its largely based on hypotheticals. "They would be a lottery team without Melo" is a hypothetical, and no matter how good of an argument you make, the fact that it is a hypothetical makes it too easy to refute.

I wouldnt be surprised if he lost his voting priveleges for being a "contrarian". MVP hasnt meant what its called in a long time and everyone knows that, and the uproar over him robbing LeBron of history might just get him in hot water. I wish the name of the award would just change or they create some guidelines for the thing.
There was a time where I would have been in total agreement with what he said, in fact part of me is still with him on it. He voted on who he felt was most valuable to their team, but agian that isnt what the MVP is about anymore so hes in the wrong here in the eyes of many. This is why there needs to be defined criteria. The way it stands now, what the MVP is, is left up to too much personal interpretation. One persons definition of who the MVP is can be totally different from the next guys. How can we put stock into this value if there isnt even an agreed upon definition? You cant do that for something as important for this award.

I'm hoping that in the future one of these two things happen, so that something like this doesnt happen again.

Last edited:
chill, he still got the mvp. in 2 weeks no one will remember the one guy who didnt vote for him

I will start by saying that for years I was a proponent of "The MVP should go to the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER" school of thought, but recently I have given up on that because it simply can not work. Theres no way to support it because its largely based off hypotheticals. I've come around to the MVP basically belonging to the best player on the best team or some variation of it which is how the vast majority of voters and fans view the award.

If you abided by either point of view, the MVP still would have went to the correct person.

But no, I don't think its the biggest robbery ever. I think it would be a bigger deal if he didn't win MVP at all, rather than simply not being unanimous.

Would have been very cool to see though.

How could he have been robbed if he still won? 

I agree he should have been unanimous. Especially since they voted for Melo.

I could see a vote for Durant but Carmelo? 

It's flawed logic.

I wouldnt give that award to LeBron this year. If he goes down, the Heat still make the playoffs at a decent seed and advance to the second round.

And instead, with him - they're a historically good team that won 66 games and is an overwhelming favorite to win a title. Is that not the same amount of value as turning a mediocre team into a pretty good one?

Do you know the Knicks the Knicks still outscored opponents when Melo was off the floor? The Heat without LeBron did not. The Clippers did without Paul, the Thunder did without Durant...but the loaded Miami Heat? They didn't. They were outscored by 75 points over the 1096 of the season's minutes without LeBron.

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213MIA.HTM

Last edited:
his rookie of the year award is a much bigger robbery.  this is just one vote with very sound reasoning. calm down.  

He was robbed of history, I should have been more clear. Never has there been a unanimous MVP, and this was honestly the only time where there has been even a minute chance of it happening. He was robbed of that

Yeah as others have said, "biggest travesty in the history of the MVP" is far too heavy. At the end of the day Lebron won the MVP with like 99.7% of the vote.

Mike had several years with his voting totals being far more questionable.

MVP awards though in all sports leave people mad...it happens almost every year. It's because it's open to your own interpretation as a voter and when that happens you are not going to have uniformity. Good thing it's just an award and not life and death, although yes they can help write history for sure.

Last edited:
a little dramatic with the title although that boston sportswriter was kind of ridiculous for going against the grain just cause

his rookie of the year award is a much bigger robbery.  this is just one vote with very sound reasoning. calm down.  

This

Biggest robbery? He WON. The nba MVP has no real criteria. And a fool voted for PJ brown before. It's not that serious.

When you have media chime in, someone will always make a vote based off attention they will get.

LeBron should win the MVP every year the Cavaliers are terrible based on principle

Congrats Lebron.
To celebrate this, will nike make a special colorway of the LBJ10 for his friends&concubines and actual consumers will never be able to buy ? :smh:

Lebron's stats and his team's success speaks enough volumes man.

Trying to discern his "value" to the team is dumb. Miami being a 5 or 6 seed without him and NY being a lottery team without Melo is completely subjective.

Why don't people just go off what they see instead of these dumb hypotheticals.

Reminds me of the baseball HOF, where nobody has never been voted in 100%. You have voters who did not vote for Nolan Ryan, Ripken Jr., and Rickey Henderson because everyone else is going to vote for them. One voter replied with if you get someone in 100% it kills the integrity of the baseball HOF. Not exactly the same thing but puts me in that mindset....

Lebron's stats and his team's success speaks enough volumes man.

Trying to discern his "value" to the team is dumb. Miami being a 5 or 6 seed without him and NY being a lottery team without Melo is completely subjective.

Why don't people just go off what they see instead of these dumb hypotheticals.
Because thats how the MVP is voted on.  You think that Steve Nash or Derrick Rose win MVPs without dumb hypotheticals?  Of course they dont.

This is why the MVP award needs to be clearly defined.  There are far too many seasons where the MVP is going to the wrong guy.

Why does NT always go to extremes for attention or to make a point , we gotta stop that.

Was it BS, he'll yeah it shoulda been unanimous but to claim it's the biggest robbery ever robs your thread of legitimacy from the jump.

Of course I'm bias but I think Nash winning back to back was a bigger robbery than Bron not getting all the votes and STILL winning.

This thread is hella dumb. It's one thing if Bron lost the MVP to Joakim Noah or something, but for this thread to even exist because one vote went to Melo? I'm really curious if this thread would even exist if someone else got that vote like CP3. Fact of the matter is, when you have a bunch of superstars in a league, and a couple of team's do well that haven't done well in years, through some adversity, because of that star player, then you have warranted dissenting votes. This isn't a hall of fame induction, this is the MVP.

This thread is hella dumb. It's one thing if Bron lost the MVP to Joakim Noah or something, but for this thread to even exist because one vote went to Melo? I'm really curious if this thread would even exist if someone else got that vote like CP3. Fact of the matter is, when you have a bunch of superstars in a league, and a couple of team's do well that haven't done well in years, through some adversity, because of that star player, then you have warranted dissenting votes. This isn't a hall of fame induction, this is the MVP.

It's like JA Adande tweeting after last nights game "Melo missed 18 shots today, more than lebron missed entire rd 1". Who the **** cares?

a little dramatic with the title although that boston sportswriter was kind of ridiculous for going against the grain just cause

At least he didn't do it just to deny the unanimous vote, he had his reasons, he is granted a vote for a reason, and LeBron still won. No big deal at all, won't affect his legacy

Back
Top Bottom