Is it just the Jordan mystique that makes him the "undisputed" GOAT?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

Jordan is the undisputed GOAT in basketball.

there is nothing else to be said.
When you use words like undisputed, this is when there becomes an issue. Undisputed to our generation. Simple as that. Don't absolute an opinionated statement. It is not a FACT that Jordan is the best ever. I think some of us forget that.

i've considered guys like magic considering how he was a pure point guard who won and made everyone around him better, and wilt to an extent to but jordans resume speaks for itself.

When you use words like undisputed, this is when there becomes an issue. Undisputed to our generation. Simple as that. Don't absolute an opinionated statement. It is not a FACT that Jordan is the best ever. I think some of us forget that.

i've considered guys like magic considering how he was a pure point guard who won and made everyone around him better, and wilt to an extent to but jordans resume speaks for itself.

just look at his resume. heck, he even took time to play a little baseball and came back and dominated, again. obviously, i didnt see guys like wilt, bill russell, etc. but in the last 30 yrs or so, he is the greatest.

just look at his resume. heck, he even took time to play a little baseball and came back and dominated, again. obviously, i didnt see guys like wilt, bill russell, etc. but in the last 30 yrs or so, he is the greatest.

Originally Posted by DubA169

damn lebron won a finals game. Guess he's the goat now. MJ had a nice run

He needs to sell a couple more shoes, before I'd say all that.

Originally Posted by DubA169

damn lebron won a finals game. Guess he's the goat now. MJ had a nice run

He needs to sell a couple more shoes, before I'd say all that.

Russell and Kareem?

People can't help who they play against. I am not sure it is right to compare the athleticsm of our era and say, "If there were athletes back then like there are today, WIlt wouldn't have done X, Y, Z." How unfair is that? So because someone came before means they have to be penalized for it since the sport was still in its infancy stages?

You look at what everyone did vs. the competition of their time. You don't break down their era and explain how their eras were weaker than today.

That is unfair to athletes of the past.

So again, we need to STOP with the GOAT talk and only talk about what we personally say and who/what was the best of our Generation.

Jordan is the best of our generation.

Russell and Kareem?

People can't help who they play against. I am not sure it is right to compare the athleticsm of our era and say, "If there were athletes back then like there are today, WIlt wouldn't have done X, Y, Z." How unfair is that? So because someone came before means they have to be penalized for it since the sport was still in its infancy stages?

You look at what everyone did vs. the competition of their time. You don't break down their era and explain how their eras were weaker than today.

That is unfair to athletes of the past.

So again, we need to STOP with the GOAT talk and only talk about what we personally say and who/what was the best of our Generation.

Jordan is the best of our generation.

MJ is the greatest player of the 80's-90's era. I don't think anyone would question that. He was the greatest of his own time. Was he the greatest of ALL time? All you can say is he has a strong case. Maybe the strongest case.

MJ is the greatest player of the 80's-90's era. I don't think anyone would question that. He was the greatest of his own time. Was he the greatest of ALL time? All you can say is he has a strong case. Maybe the strongest case.

You can stop with the GOAT talk, the rest of us recognize that he is. Just add it in with one of the many unpopular opinions you have. I swear you're the type of guy to argue that the sky isn't blue, just to argue.
laugh.gif

You can stop with the GOAT talk, the rest of us recognize that he is. Just add it in with one of the many unpopular opinions you have. I swear you're the type of guy to argue that the sky isn't blue, just to argue.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Jordan's skill set was unmatched though. The way he changed the game. The way he changed his own game to combat age. Is competitiveness he possessed is matched by very few people. And just his overall love of the game.
At his position, it can be very much argued that Kobe is more skilled. Kobe's footwork is 2nd to none when talking about players I have personally watched at the wing position. I would give the nod to Kobe in that department. Skill wise, the two are closer than folks are willing to admit. Jordan seriously just won more and more personal gold. But all of that goes into the package so we can't dismiss it. Skill wise, Kobe is right there though.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Jordan's skill set was unmatched though. The way he changed the game. The way he changed his own game to combat age. Is competitiveness he possessed is matched by very few people. And just his overall love of the game.
At his position, it can be very much argued that Kobe is more skilled. Kobe's footwork is 2nd to none when talking about players I have personally watched at the wing position. I would give the nod to Kobe in that department. Skill wise, the two are closer than folks are willing to admit. Jordan seriously just won more and more personal gold. But all of that goes into the package so we can't dismiss it. Skill wise, Kobe is right there though.

Russell and Kareem?

You look at what everyone did vs. the competition of their time.

My issue with Wilt is this... He had 1 person as competition and he NEVER dominated him... By all accounts Russell sonned him regularly... Not to mention he let a gimpy Willis Reed punk him on the grandest stage in the sport. Based on those two issues he doesn't hold as much wieght with me as others.  When considering he was 30xs the athlete and just about 5" taller that everyone not name Bill Russell, the one guy who matched up with him well he couldn't & didn't dominate, in fact it was quite the opposite... ehhhh.
ohwell.gif

You can't name a Rival that MJ didn't get the best of, Dumars & The Pistons gave him flux but he ended up wit the last laugh in the end.  Bottomline Magic, who played with that grumpy old man for what 8 seasons, & Larry as well as countless other LEGENDS have gone on record to say that Mike is the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.  Thats good enough for me.

Russell and Kareem?

You look at what everyone did vs. the competition of their time.

My issue with Wilt is this... He had 1 person as competition and he NEVER dominated him... By all accounts Russell sonned him regularly... Not to mention he let a gimpy Willis Reed punk him on the grandest stage in the sport. Based on those two issues he doesn't hold as much wieght with me as others.  When considering he was 30xs the athlete and just about 5" taller that everyone not name Bill Russell, the one guy who matched up with him well he couldn't & didn't dominate, in fact it was quite the opposite... ehhhh.
ohwell.gif

You can't name a Rival that MJ didn't get the best of, Dumars & The Pistons gave him flux but he ended up wit the last laugh in the end.  Bottomline Magic, who played with that grumpy old man for what 8 seasons, & Larry as well as countless other LEGENDS have gone on record to say that Mike is the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.  Thats good enough for me.

Yea but just because someone in the fire says something doesn't make it golden. Last time I checked Magic also claimed Kobe was the best Laker of all time. Does that mean we should take his word for it? I am just saying them saying it shouldn't and doesn't have an affect on the legitimacy of the comment. Their opinion is still an opinion.

Yea but just because someone in the fire says something doesn't make it golden. Last time I checked Magic also claimed Kobe was the best Laker of all time. Does that mean we should take his word for it? I am just saying them saying it shouldn't and doesn't have an affect on the legitimacy of the comment. Their opinion is still an opinion.

My point is that people who others have made cases for as the GOAT are referring to him as the GOAT, one of which played with & won chips with Kareem didn't hesitate a second to say MJ. You hear more great players/basketball minds who've watched the game before us saying that Mike's the best thats ever done it than you hear say otherwise.

Hell I can only remember 2 players being the voice of opposition to this label and they were Kareem & Wilt... Russell didn't care & Oscar wouldn't answer the question if I recall correctly.

Back
Top Bottom