Is Emmit Smith TRUELY the greatest back in NFL history?

Nope, he's not. But that rushing record will be safe for a while. In these days, most running backs aren't getting 20+ carries a game anymore and the ones that do end up burning out by age 29. LT is at 12,000 but he's already 30 so getting 6,000 more yards is unlikely.

Nope, he's not. But that rushing record will be safe for a while. In these days, most running backs aren't getting 20+ carries a game anymore and the ones that do end up burning out by age 29. LT is at 12,000 but he's already 30 so getting 6,000 more yards is unlikely.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by Essential1

welcome to my life

Well you strike me as a sarcastic human being... Lol........  Damn lib... With your books with no pictures that you read...........
Upside   "Pet Goat">  Noam Chomsky
pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Definitely did not see that one coming

Originally Posted by Essential1

welcome to my life

Well you strike me as a sarcastic human being... Lol........  Damn lib... With your books with no pictures that you read...........
Upside   "Pet Goat">  Noam Chomsky
pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Definitely did not see that one coming

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

No. He's a great running back that played at a high level for a ton of years, but he's not the best..

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

No. He's a great running back that played at a high level for a ton of years, but he's not the best..

Top 5 NO Doubt, maybe #3.

I think you could say he was the best all around running back to ever play. Dude could catch and block also.

Top 5 NO Doubt, maybe #3.

I think you could say he was the best all around running back to ever play. Dude could catch and block also.

Real talk...put Ricky Watters behind that line Emmit had and I bet he wouldve put up better numbers.

Real talk...put Ricky Watters behind that line Emmit had and I bet he wouldve put up better numbers.

Originally Posted by icandunkonu

gimme sanders, payton, brown and possibly dickerson before emmit

qft.

Now i never had the pleasure of watching Jim Brown, but from what my Dad and every other old timer say he's the best. I do know that I watched most of the careers of both Eric Dickerson and Walter Payton and both were more explosive then Emmit. I watched all of Emmit and Barry's career's and that comparison isnt even close. Barry Sanders by a landslide for what I watched with my own two eyes.

As far as E.D. is concerned the latter half of his career was significantly watered down but when he was with the Rams that boy could flat out play.

I still feel that as sports fans we all missed out a great deal by Barry Sanders retiring so early, that man seemed to basically still be in his prime.

I think a lot of people forget about how deadly Bo Jackson was as well, obviously with his career being cut so short he cant be in the discussion but just imagine what he could have done if was able to play the lenth of time Emmit did.

Originally Posted by icandunkonu

gimme sanders, payton, brown and possibly dickerson before emmit

qft.

Now i never had the pleasure of watching Jim Brown, but from what my Dad and every other old timer say he's the best. I do know that I watched most of the careers of both Eric Dickerson and Walter Payton and both were more explosive then Emmit. I watched all of Emmit and Barry's career's and that comparison isnt even close. Barry Sanders by a landslide for what I watched with my own two eyes.

As far as E.D. is concerned the latter half of his career was significantly watered down but when he was with the Rams that boy could flat out play.

I still feel that as sports fans we all missed out a great deal by Barry Sanders retiring so early, that man seemed to basically still be in his prime.

I think a lot of people forget about how deadly Bo Jackson was as well, obviously with his career being cut so short he cant be in the discussion but just imagine what he could have done if was able to play the lenth of time Emmit did.

I look at Emmit Smith the same way I look at Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice was the greatest receiver to ever play, but not the best to ever play (Moss is already one name that comes to mind). Emmit Smith is the greatest running back as the numbers show, but is certainly not the best to have ever played. I feel that greatness simply comes with all-time numbers and records whereas the best is simply ability. Due to different circumstances, the best don't always make it to greatness.

I look at Emmit Smith the same way I look at Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice was the greatest receiver to ever play, but not the best to ever play (Moss is already one name that comes to mind). Emmit Smith is the greatest running back as the numbers show, but is certainly not the best to have ever played. I feel that greatness simply comes with all-time numbers and records whereas the best is simply ability. Due to different circumstances, the best don't always make it to greatness.

RoOk is too young to have seen Emmit play on the Cowboys. It all makes sense now.

RoOk is too young to have seen Emmit play on the Cowboys. It all makes sense now.

Back
Top Bottom