Is College Necessary?

I was thinking today about my goals and what I want to do for a living, once I'm out of high school.
And I'm really passionate about opening a sneaker/clothing shop in Chicago, maybe in the Gold Coast neighborhood.
But would I need to go to college to be successful in running my own business.
Does Nike and other shoe suppliers determine if they want to give your store an account by what
kind of degree you have?

Any advice/input?

Think of it this way, how many people are going to stand in your way of realizing that dream...assuming you still have it upon graduation.

1) Those same people will be giving you a loan (assuming you need one)
2) You will be competing against others who need money for whatever business venture they have
3) You may want to have a college degree to fall back on
4) Why not take some business courses to help you run your business without spending a lot of money on outside help, etc.

I should major in business right? But what other courses should I take?
Should I take graphic design because I would also like to be able to make my
own in store brand of tees.
And I know it's going to be really difficult to be successful, but life isn't easy.
If I fail, I'll just keep trying.

Originally Posted by Redrum SB

And I'm really passionate about opening a sneaker/clothing shop

99% of NTers are really passionate about opening a sneaker shop, how many fall through
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

99% of NTers are really passionate about opening a sneaker shop, how many fall through
laugh.gif
I'm going to follow through with it, it's my dream, I take it quite seriously.

If your future is relient on the hypebeasts of today you better go to school. The market will soon reach saturation and you'll be SOL. Unless you have areally, really, good idea for your business I don't see much hope for you. Everything you plan on doing has already been done. Good luck.

PS - GO to college.

Originally Posted by carlosdapaperboy

Originally Posted by THockey66

yes college is necessary if u plan on succeding in life.
Negative.

well, unless you are extremely talented in music, athletics, or acting it definetly is.

Still, negative.

That being said, go to school.

laugh.gif
ehh, going by your sig, your just like the rest of em
grin.gif
nooffense

laugh.gif
You're in HS. Dreams change.

some people are not cut out for college.
there are other ways to be successful.
just be smart with your money and work hard in whatever you do.
you can get paid 6 figures working your way up from mickey ds if you have to.
it's all a matter of effort.

that said...if you do want to pursue college or a degree of any sort, go for it.
it will make things easier later.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

laugh.gif
You're in HS. Dreams change.

Yeah I see what your talking about.
I used to want to do a lot of other things when I was smaller.
But I feel differently about this dream, I'm really fixated on it.

FACTS:
people who have a bachelors degree make an average of more than twice as much as those who have only graduated from high school (compare 20K to 40K+ peryear)

people who have a masters degree make an average of more four times more than those who have only graduated from high school (compare 20K to 80K+ peryear)

and people who have a phd make an average of more than FIVE times more than those who have only graduated from high school (compare 20K to 100K+ (6 figures)per year)

I graduated with a BS in Technology with a 3.95 gpa... and I'm currently waiting tables.
laugh.gif
I'm laughing, but the !#*$ isn't funny! Having saidthat, I will always continue to tell folks to go to school, but I will also stress to get a master's degree as well because pretty soon, an undergraddegree will be as prevalent as a high school degree.

And in case anyone is wondering, the company I worked for went out of business (this crappy economy killed a 34 year old business), and we all lost our jobs.So no, I didn't graduate college and strive to wait tables.
laugh.gif
The bills needed to get paid, so I am doing what I have to do until I can get a job in mycareer again. Oh, and another sad thing? I work with 2 people with teaching degrees. You know it's bad out when TEACHERS can't get a job (a few yearsago, major cities needed teachers like mad).

well, unless you are extremely talented in music, athletics, or acting it definetly is.
You, along with almost everybody else, are brainwashed into believing that.

A college degree is just like a high school diploma was many years ago. Everybody has a degree now, and where does that get them now? They're on line witheverybody else trying to get the jobs where no degree was required to get in.

Society rewards the ability, and eventhough you passed a couple college classes and became well-educated, you still might not ever have what it takes to besuccessful.

It really depends on your concept of success, you already know the knowledge aspect when it comes to sneakers but what about the business side?

as far as college is concerned, it serves the future corporate slaves as well as future bosses....But 89% of them are the slaves that will work relentlessly tomake ends meet. Nothing is guaranteed.

at the end of day look at it as a means of specializing in your field/interest...STOP asking people if college is important, to began with - many havedistorted vision as far as college is concerned, they view it as if it is some type of safe haven (WRONG)... Second many don't have the same goal as you do((you cant ask a med student if college is important lols))...Third do what you feel is right, connect with people in the same business and START RESEARCHING.

College is necessary if you want a good job...If you want to be a boss, you don't need college, Most bosses hire smarter people to work for them and theyget the credit.

Back
Top Bottom