Is apu a racist character?? VOL...THE PROBLEM WITH APU

"On Sunday’s episode of The Simpsons, “No Good Read Goes Unpunished,” Marge and Lisa Simpson indirectly addressed the renewed Apu controversy that was recently discussed by Hari Kondabolu’s documentaryThe Problem with Apu. Despite actor Hank Azaria’s unwillingness to speak on camera with the comedian about the show’s problematic Kwik-E-Mart sales clerk, he subsequently claimed The Simpsons would “definitely” address the matter at a future date. Said date came three months later during Sunday’s episode, but judging by the reactions of Kondabolu and others, it wasn’t what fans and critics were hoping for.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the scene in question concerned Marge’s reading an edited version of the book The Princess in the Garden to Lisa before bedtime. The children’s book has been culled to make it “acceptable and inoffensive in 2018,” but this results in a story that “is much shorter and lacking in an ’emotional journey’ for the central character.” That’s when, by why of a framed photograph of Apu on Lisa’s bedside table, The Simpsons turns its attention to the issues raised by Kondabolu and other critics.

MARGE: Well what am I supposed to to?

LISA: It’s hard to say. Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive, is now politically incorrect. What can you do?

MARGE: Some things will be dealt with at a later date.

LISA: If at all.

Judging by Kondabolu’s response to the scene on Twitter, he wasn’t expecting the show he told us he was still a fan of to brush off The Problem with Apu‘s concerns as “politically incorrect” and something to “be dealt with at a later date,” if at all. “That’s the takeaway from my movie & the discussion it sparked?” he wrote. “Man, I really loved this show. This is sad.”

20180409_102459.jpg

I mean duh.

It’s the Simpsons....early 90s. It is what it was. I always felt Ike the character of his wife’s was kinda trying make up for the fact.

Didn’t he come in handy post 9/11 tho?

Actually caught that episode randomly. Had no idea it was a brand new one, thought it was a newer episode I hadn't seen (haven't really checked for the Simpson's in a minute).

Definitely a racist character

I mean duh.

It’s the Simpsons....early 90s. It is what it was. I always felt Ike the character of his wife’s was kinda trying make up for the fact.

Didn’t he come in handy post 9/11 tho?

Apu is Indian and Hindu

Racist but its not “all black people are thugs” racist. It’s racism rooted in the truth that a lot of gas station clerks you see are middle Eastern.

I guess it comes down to how Middle Easterners view the stereotype themselves but personally I feel like ****** getting mad about nothing if the worst representation you have consistently of yourself in media is of a successful gas station owner.

But I dont watch simpsons or havent seen documentary so maybe it’s the accent or how he be acting that bothers them.

This is like black people getting mad at Pops from Wayans Bros. That wacky old black dude who owns the chicken spot or something is a real character.

Whats the line between stereotyping and depicting the way things are

Racist but its not “all black people are thugs” racist. It’s racism rooted in the truth that a lot of gas station clerks you see are middle Eastern.

I guess it comes down to how Middle Easterners view the stereotype themselves but personally I feel like *****s getting mad about nothing if the worst representation you have consistently of yourself in media is of a successful gas station owner.

But I dont watch simpsons or havent seen documentary so maybe it’s the accent or how he be acting that bothers them.

This is like black people getting mad at Pops from Wayans Bros. That wacky old black dude who owns the chicken spot or something is a real character.

Whats the line between stereotyping and depicting the way things are
And to "them", “all black people are thugs” is rooted in truth as well..........Be careful

And to "them", “all black people are thugs” is rooted in truth as well..........Be careful

i guess im not seeing the negative cariacture that the gas station clerk can devolve into as quickly as the “black people-thug” cariacture can devolve into...

even with the “black people are thugs” theres a difference between having a Avon Barksdale type character and then a dont be a menace in the hood drinking juice marlon wayans character...

im not seeing that spectrum of intelligence in the context of a ***** owning a gas station...like its not a “bad” stereotype and they dont all act a certain way for a show to even stereotype them beyond that simply being an occupation that many of them hold...

would there be a huge disparagement in how Apu acted if he was a teacher instead of gas station owner the way there would be if Pookie from New Jack City or whatever drug dealer/crackhead black character was a teacher instead of a drug dealer/crackhead

its not the same to me

i guess im not seeing the negative cariacture that the gas station clerk can devolve into as quickly as the “black people-thug” cariacture can devolve into...

even with the “black people are thugs” theres a difference between having a Avon Barksdale type character and then a dont be a menace in the hood drinking juice marlon wayans character...

im not seeing that spectrum of intelligence in the context of a ***** owning a gas station...like its not a “bad” stereotype and they dont all act a certain way for a show to even stereotype them beyond that simply being an occupation that many of them hold...

would there be a huge disparagement in how Apu acted if he was a teacher instead of gas station owner the way there would be if Pookie from New Jack City or whatever drug dealer/crackhead black character was a teacher instead of a drug dealer/crackhead

its not the same to me

So basically

"I don't find it offensive so it's not a big deal"

Sounds familiar...

:emoji_thinking:

So basically

"I don't find it offensive so it's not a big deal"

Sounds familiar...

:emoji_thinking:

i remember you mentioning that you were middle Eastern or something

please explain what you find offensive about it

because i think its clear to see whats offensive about the idea that all black people are thugs vs. the idea that there are alot of successful gas station clerks that happen to be middle Eastern

when people say they dont see whats offensive about confederate flags, black people being typecasted as thugs, etc. theyre usually being disenginous (sp?) but no one in here has brought up whats potentially offensive about someone simply being a gas station owner/clerk

simpsons is goat. indian ppl sensitive af. I heard the guy that does apu's voice even agrees with hari. but this is too much lol

Back
Top Bottom