Investment/Stock Questions

I have a couple of dollars to blow, and need some advice about where i should invest in the stock market.  Any help from people knowledgeable on the subject is appreciated. 

Originally Posted by Integra Owner

I have a couple of dollars to blow, and need some advice about where i should invest in the stock market.  Any help from people knowledgeable on the subject is appreciated. 

Don't take any advice from NT. Not even when it comes to commodities. First of all, figure out if you're going to be an investor or a trader. There's a big difference. Once you figure that out,  develop a plan with a real professional.

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

Don't take any advice from NT. Not even when it comes to commodities. First of all, figure out if you're going to be an investor or a trader. There's a big difference. Once you figure that out,  develop a plan with a real professional.
Long term trader is probably the correct term for what I'm trying...honestly I'm just looking to bounce ideas around

Good choice about wanting to invest man. Its an important decision a lotta ppl dont make. I'd def agree about the professional before you do anything. Or at least professional resources and tools if youre looking to learn yourself.

The biggest question is what are your goals? You say long term trader. Thats kind of a confusing way to word it
laugh.gif
As in building money for retirement? Or you just looking for a way to make some extra money? Cuz like dude said, thats a HUGE determining factor about how to invest. And also what % of your money your investing

Originally Posted by foreveryoung

Good choice about wanting to invest man. Its an important decision a lotta ppl dont make. I'd def agree about the professional before you do anything. Or at least professional resources and tools if youre looking to learn yourself.

The biggest question is what are your goals? You say long term trader. Thats kind of a confusing way to word it
laugh.gif
As in building money for retirement? Or you just looking for a way to make some extra money? Cuz like dude said, thats a HUGE determining factor about how to invest. And also what % of your money your investing
I know right, it basically means I buy stocks with potential and sit on them for a little while until I can turn a profit.  I'm not investing any of my money, but I have about 5,xxx sitting around doing nothing so I would like to reinvest in the markets.  I already consult a professional, just wanted to see if i could get anything off of here.

These professionals are just as bad, telling people to have a specific asset allocation regardless of the condition of the economy. 
laugh.gif

Professional says, "You are young, go with all stocks."   Nevertheless, unemployment is double digits, Greece/Europe is headed downhill, China's economy is slowing, and Americans are taking to the streets. 

Originally Posted by cguy610

These professionals are just as bad, telling people to have a specific asset allocation regardless of the condition of the economy. 
laugh.gif

Professional says, "You are young, go with all stocks."   Nevertheless, unemployment is double digits, Greece/Europe is headed downhill, China's economy is slowing, and Americans are taking to the streets. 
Are you speaking based of first hand experience? I'm curious.

laugh.gif

Are you speaking based of first hand experience? I'm curious.

The quote was an exaggeration but they will still go with a specific allocation regardless of the economy.

I'm going off experiences of friends, family, and talks with financial advisors that I know.  

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

$5,000 isn't much.
No advice, but you came in to bash.  Thanks for adding to the community buddy.  I'm not out to prove anything to you or anyone else, but I have that strictly to invest in the stock market...nothing else. 

$5,000 isn't much.
No advice, but you came in to bash.  Thanks for adding to the community buddy.  I'm not out to prove anything to you or anyone else, but I have that strictly to invest in the stock market...nothing else. 

I wouldn't say he's bashing. It's going to be hard to squeeze a lot out of $5000. Shouldn't stop you from starting, though.

Long term trader is probably the correct term for what I'm trying...honestly I'm just looking to bounce ideas around
I don't think there's such a thing as long-term trader.

There's a lot of value out there right now so you just have to do some research.  Take Two Interactive is something you should look into.

$5,000 isn't much.

I wouldn't say he's bashing. It's going to be hard to squeeze a lot out of $5000. Shouldn't stop you from starting, though.
QFT, but now that you mention it...

Spoiler [+]
z72kE.png

a lot of s n p 500 companies are trading near their 52 week low  invest in a company you love and pay out dividends my favorite dividend stock is cop they have increased the dividend everytime

I'm going off experiences of friends, family, and talks with financial advisors that I know.  
Stop speaking right now then.
Yea, feel free to do no research and put all your faith and life savings in the hands of some "professional".  Let me know how that works out for you.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Charles Schwab settles SEC allegations that it misled investors about risks of bond fund[/h1]
[h2]The brokerage agrees to pay $119 million in settlement. Its YieldPlus fund lost hundreds of millions of dollars in early 2008 when the value of the many mortgage bonds in its portfolio collapsed.[/h2]

January 12, 2011|By Walter Hamilton, Los Angeles Times

Three years after a supposedly safe bond fund plunged in value, Charles Schwab Corp. agreed to pay $119 million to settle government allegations that it misled investors about the risks of the portfolio's mortgage-related holdings.

The Securities and Exchange Commission's suit against Schwab, which was filed as well as settled Tuesday, depicts a microcosm of the mortgage meltdown and financial crisis, with plenty of blame to go around.

pixel.gif

http://articles.latimes.c...a-fi-schwab-sec-20110112

Just don't let anyone talk you into GLD or SLV. Or listen to anyone that complains about "fiat currencies."

There are a few high quality research firms I'd suggest checking out: Morningstar, Valuentum Securities, and Bronte Capital (actually a hedge fund but he actually posts a lot of his ideas).

With not a lot of capital, I'd suggest broad market ETFs that benchmark either the S&P 500, based on their lows, or emerging markets. It's a lot less of a hassle and until you get more capital (or capital appreciation) it's tough to invest in individual companies while making a solid yield (all the while balancing the risk of ONE company versus the market as a whole).

Good luck.

QFT, but now that you mention it...

Spoiler [+]
z72kE.png
lol... man, coming from frank, him saying "5,000 is not much" ..... check out the polo thread, he has 5,000 worth of clothes in one picture
pimp.gif
x
sick.gif

Don't buy physical gold, it's a bubble.
Read Barrons, Wall Street Journal, NY Times etc.
Get started in a virtual stock market game.

To get back on topic:

The stock market risk/reward is unfavorable right now.  There is currently no hope on the horizon for anything that will stimulate the economy.  Jobs are not being created fast enough and Obama's jobs bill will end up being watered down if it passes.  This will drive the flow of money into the stock market and is what will really make you make money in the market. 

The case for precious metals.  As long as the US continues to run deficits, which require increasing the national debt, this is bullish for gold.  The US does not bring in enough tax revenue to cover the spending and politicians seem to be unwilling to raise taxes or cut spending.  If you look at a gold chart of the past year +, it is a gradual rise. 

Back
Top Bottom