Information Technology (IT)

Thinking about getting a security cert since I'm new to the space. Thoughts on Certificate of Cloud Security Knowledge (CCSK) vs. Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP)?

Yes. Adding servicenow under your belt would net you calls from recruiters once or twice a week.

Wow, had no clue. I just saw a new hire for our company that had that title. Too bad I’ve got 0 servicenow experience lol. The cert trainings are only a few days long

Wow, had no clue. I just saw a new hire for our company that had that title. Too bad I’ve got 0 servicenow experience lol. The cert trainings are only a few days long

yea bro. Its a good skills to have. Go sign up for a personal instance and follow their quick guide. Its not over complicated. Minimal coding and getting use to terminology.

yea bro. Its a good skills to have. Go sign up for a personal instance and follow their quick guide. Its not over complicated. Minimal coding and getting use to terminology.

Will do man. I might as well get a Udemy course on servicenow too and then start studying towards a cert. I had never heard of servicenow before I saw that job title.

I want to thank everybody here and encourage anyone who wants to change their career into IT. It’s not too late. Many of you know my story. Next week will mark 11 months working for the department of health IT since I lost my job last year.

I am currently walking down the network Engineering path. For that role you must have certifications. I am using Udemy and CBT nuggets to prep for my CCNA exam. After that I’m going to learn Juniper and some security certifications. If anybody needs advice/encouragement/or just questions let me know. If anyone has any for me, it’ll be much appreciated.

How does it feel working in A networking role without a CCNA?

Do you need a CCNA to do a networking job? A+ to open a desktop?

I get the resume bullet and recruiter carrot.

At the end of the day, you don't need certs degrees or anything if you have real skill. If you can show said company you can do what they need, they will want you IMO. But for us guys that are learning, it's a hope that they will look at you with a different lens even if you don't have those top tier skills, and hopefully they will allow you to come in with the knowledge and ambition you do have per those certs you attained, and learn fast with time and possibly help. Other than self study.

My company is offering me an IT gig (computer systems analyst position) for 56k/yr. I have Sec+ And a secret clearance with no prior IT experience. Is this a good start or am I being lowballed? I live in California btw.

whats the range for someone with a clearance and sec+ whose coming into this field brand new?

Last edited:
My company is offering me an IT gig (computer systems analyst position) for 56k/yr. I have Sec+ And a secret clearance with no prior IT experience. Is this a good start or am I being lowballed? I live in California btw.

whats the range for someone with a clearance and sec+ whose coming into this field brand new?
It's low, but you have to look at the fact the company is trying to keep you. Stay there get some experience maybe stay a year then test the waters. If someone is willing to pay you a lot more at that point, then roll out. Or you can let your current gig know and see if they will match the price. Welcome to the IT world, we are never out of a job for long once we gain experience.

Definitely sounds low for Cali and a clearance but I'm sure no experience plays a part there.

Definitely sounds low for Cali and a clearance but I'm sure no experience plays a part there.
That sounds really low but does sound like they are using your lack of experience as an excuse for that pay. I'd say try to negotiate more based on the credentials you do have, if they aren't willing to budge definitely test the waters sooner than later.

No experience and 60k sounds right to me. Hiring someone for that role with no experience is essentially a gamble

Then all support requests need to go to them until they feel like sharing information.
I try not to bother but I usually just ask him straight up or forward it to him. It’s frustrating being outdated in so many ways.

Supporting legacy software is a pain sometimes. Nobody but the Project Manager knows how a specific software works lol 🤦🏿‍♂️

The worst and laziest project manager I ever worked with was on a Navy contract. Dude was a government civilian GS-15 who didn't know what the hell he was doing and pushed all his work onto IT outsourced government contract workers while dude was making 95K not doing anything.

Where in Cali and what is the specific job? If that's the bay area :lol:

The worst and laziest project manager I ever worked with was on a Navy contract. Dude was a government civilian GS-15 who didn't know what the hell he was doing and pushed all his work onto IT outsourced government contract workers while dude was making 95K not doing anything.
I’m starting to see it’s a whole lot of money being made in the field with some doing very little or the bare minimum

Lol. We just hired a GS-12 who is supposed to be our ITSM Manager. She says and acts like she doesn’t know what she’s doing.

Back
Top Bottom