Information Technology (IT)

Why not take known modern things like CS50 as an intro https://cs50.harvard.edu/x/2022/ then something like codeacademy or freecodecamp?
I recommended that tutorial on Youtube cause he's pretty straightforward and makes it clear for those who have no experience. The specific tutorial is Java.

Correct.. IDK anything about programming at all. I took your suggestion to start playing with those tutorials to see if it's worth my investment.

Gotcha. Well stick it out. If installing netbeans or eclipse is going to deter you, then you may really not be interested in it.

We get a bad rep but it’s not the 80s anymore. From what I’ve seen online you’re more likely to run into some nazis in Orange County or something :lol:
Where’s the job located? Downtown area?
Grew up in Boston so lmk if you have any questions
Im making the switch to IT, between Boston and Cambridge there is so many companies

The company is located in Seaport.

You recommend north or south Boston for living?

Heard south Boston is very Irish-like and idk how I feel about that lmao

The company is located in Seaport.

You recommend north or south Boston for living?

Heard south Boston is very Irish-like and idk how I feel about that lmao
Yea southie was the home of all that racist Irish stuff you see in the movies :lol:. I honestly don’t know how it is nowadays but everything is different from 15 years ago even. I imagine south Boston is expensive though. “North Boston” is called the north end, traditionally an Italian area, def expensive but close to the seaport
The seaport area is a good place for young professionals with $$, lots of nice and new apartment buildings. it’s also close to the highway so you could technically live in lot of places. Rush hour traffic there sucks though. But there’s always trains and buses if you don’t wanna drive
Check out Jamaica plain, that’s not a bad commute to the seaport. Rush hour might take 30-40 min, otherwise like 20-25. I’m staying at home with my parents still to save $ and when I leave within the next few years that’s where I’m moving to
Check out Jamaica plain, roslindale. Mission Hill used to be the hood but it’s been gentrified to a college area
If you wanna be around young people/college students/have roommates then check out Allston/Brighton

You can pretty much live anywhere if you wanna deal with 40-60 min of traffic during rush hour :lol:
Living in south Boston or the north end I’d imagine you’d be spending 30-40k of that 75k salary on rent
You could move outside the city to places like Dedham, Norwood, and just take the train and that would save you a ton of $$ on rent

Why not take known modern things like CS50 as an intro https://cs50.harvard.edu/x/2022/ then something like codeacademy or freecodecamp?

IDK if you missed my posts from before but I'm basically open to all help. I started by asking what folks thought of the coding camps because I heard of one last Fall and I thought about it before and it got me going. From there, it was suggested to try some free sample stuff to get my feet wet and learn/see if it's for me since I'd be switching careers. The first thing that was suggested to me was Java Newboston. I was also referred to this NYU thing that I'm definitely looking to do as well.

Thanks for these suggestions, I will try them all out and see what helps. I figured dated vids wouldn't matter much from a big picture sort of pov but anything 1:1 will definitely help me understand better in the beginning.

I recommended that tutorial on Youtube cause he's pretty straightforward and makes it clear for those who have no experience. The specific tutorial is Java.

Gotcha. Well stick it out. If installing netbeans or eclipse is going to deter you, then you may really not be interested in it.

I don't think I've gotten that far. I wouldn't think installation would be complicated.. it's just that directions are sometimes so specific and if I'm working with a dated video that says 'this is super important, make sure you do xyz if you have xyz or you''re doomed' it gets tricky and then I have to research that stuff lol.

I have no idea yet if it's for me based on simply learning but the semantics were throwing me off at first lol. But I am willing to stick it out for sure!

DMV.

It is good pay but Boston is expensive AF lol
What certs you have? Do you really want a change of scenery is that why you would consider Boston. Message me your clearance level and I will see if we can get you something here local and paying more. If you have at least a secret I can find you something.

Personally I would not move for that salary because I also hear Boston is expensive.

What certs you have? Do you really want a change of scenery is that why you would consider Boston. Message me your clearance level and I will see if we can get you something here local and paying more. If you have at least a secret I can find you something.

Personally I would not move for that salary because I also hear Boston is expensive.
Boston is more expensive than the dmv?

I have sec+ and A+.
no clearance.

Anyone here a .net developer or software developer? I'm trying to pivot my career from Accounting/Audit. Been learning C# on Udemy and Pluralsight. Any other things I should look into? Are there any project based learning programs I could do that incorporates real world problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If someone else is going to get your TS, take the job until the clearance is finished then dip. I got a company tombout they'll uograde me to ts-sci and a oay raise, but I'm scared of change. My current job is sooo relaxed I dont know if anyone is gonna match it. I be running errands, taking naps, getting my hair cut, at the zoo, even smashing as long as I use my phone to keep my laptop connected to the internet and teams in Avail status

If someone else is going to get your TS, take the job until the clearance is finished then dip. I got a company tombout they'll uograde me to ts-sci and a oay raise, but I'm scared of change. My current job is sooo relaxed I dont know if anyone is gonna match it. I be running errands, taking naps, getting my hair cut, at the zoo, even smashing as long as I use my phone to keep my laptop connected to the internet and teams in Avail status
I feel this but I realize I need to get to a higher rate before I find something chill again and just CoastFIRE it out.

TS is for military related jobs right? Or it applies to IT as well?
It's only required if you work at a federal job where they process, store and work on top-secret enclaves.

The government operates several networks (enclaves). Unclassified, which touches the public internet. And then secret and top secret. They're all "separated".

So you need a clearance to be able to get access to the area the systems operates in. You need a clearance to get an account and access the network.

There are plenty of jobs where you don't need a secret or top secret clearance. But it helps with job opportunities. My friend got a job at Microsoft and he got a bonus for having top secret with Poly.

Lots of commercial companies including Nike have gov dealings. So it is more bread if you come to them with a clearance. I know back in the day it used to cost like 10k to get someone a clearance.

1645284260301.jpeg

I figured out how to stay available in Teams all day. Make sure my laptop and work phone is charged (but bring the cords just in case). I be ripping and running all over. I can get a haircut when everybody at work. I give them enough work for them to know I’m actually doing something :lol:

Probably more now. And I agree, many commercial companies require cleared individuals to work with the government.

Microsoft. Amazon. Google. Cisco. Fortinet. VMware. Lockheed Martin. Raytheon. Palo Alto. WWT. Etc.

Kinda sucks for those (myself included, only Public Trust, which isn’t a “real” clearance) without a clearance. These companies want you to come with one and most of the time unwilling to sponsor you cause they can just move to the next guy already with one.

Government needs to overhaul it anyway. Most of these jobs that require a TS could really be downgraded and they’d actually save themselves some money lol. I know when I had my TS I never came across anything important.

Got to be read in. Depends on where you work. I remember being at SOCOM and needing TS to get into certain spaces. I remember being in a room with three-letter agencies and SOCOM leadership discussing how to combat drugs in Mexico.

In Maryland dealing with cyber stuff, you have to be read in to learn deep details of APTs (obviously there's open source intelligence out there). Nukes...TS lol.

As it relates to IT, it helps to have a clearance so you can work on the systems. Microsoft and Amazon have major contracts in Gov cloud, some of it Secret/TS.

1645284260301.jpeg

I figured out how to stay available in Teams all day. Make sure my laptop and work phone is charged (but bring the cords just in case). I be ripping and running all over. I can get a haircut when everybody at work. I give them enough work for them to know I’m actually doing something :lol:
Another one is to just put something on your Teams calendar, doesnt have to even be a meeting you can just put 2pm-4pm, Review Documents for Friday's Meeting and duri g that time period you'll show up as busy/presenting/in a call or basically red dot.

Back
Top Bottom