Information Technology (IT)

I shared my story here in the past but just wanted to give a quick update.

Cliff notes:
Laid off from Company after working there 13years, 11 in IT.
Hard 6 months just to find any job. Couldn't find a THING. Bachelors degree, and experience but there was just a lot of nothing out there.
Finally found a contractor job at a well known Hospital here in SoCal.
Busted by *** for 2 years but no full time positions would open up. Even though the need was there.
Towards the end of my contract started to look around and apply and found a position at SpaceX, which I immediately thought would be like a dream job/dream company.
Couple of interviews later and here I am at SpaceX!

It's been a few months but I love it here. Definitely more fast paced but the possibilities are endless here as far as growth within the IT field. The company views itself as a Tech company and not a Space company so you can see how many avenues that would open up for anyone that loves technology. I'm amazed by the things I see everyday and the work we are doing here.

I say all that to say this, sometimes we have a certain job and we know that it may be temporary, or we are given task and you know you have a lot more to give. But stick with it and keep your eye open and you will find that dream job. My resume looks a lot better working at that Hospital because its a highly respectable company and very hard to get into. I probably wouldn't gotten this job with out having to go through those two years.

Anyone here that learned CS outside of a university setting?

Any good online courses? Books? Lectures, etc?

I want to learn more about algorithms, logic, etc.

anyone here start off at a helpdesk role? what was your next position?

when you become a system admin, does someone train you/teach you or are you expected to know everything?
Looking to maybe apply for a system admin job but I feel like i'll be unqualified. I dont know **** about servers or managing them tbh.

Had an 2 interviews with a big company in the last 2 weeks, they said they really liked me and think I'm a good fit, get a call back today thinking I'm about to schedule my final interview and they tell me they're decreasing the amount of money they were offering but still want me to come in for the last one. I feel like I've been insulted

Had an 2 interviews with a big company in the last 2 weeks, they said they really liked me and think I'm a good fit, get a call back today thinking I'm about to schedule my final interview and they tell me they're decreasing the amount of money they were offering but still want me to come in for the last one. I feel like I've been insulted
That's odd.

Man I was making 75 (I live in Oklahoma btw so that's a nice amount here) at my last job that I moved up here for, but it was like purely a Migration contract on some old flight simulation machines, but the contract ends soon and likely wont be renewed so I started putting in for other stuff. Got a new job at the HelpDesk for the whole base thinking it'd be like my job before I moved here.

**** is pure call center. I couldn't be more miserable right now. They kept my pay within 10k which I'm happy with because admittedly 75 was a bit much. But these dudes are such sticklers they make us clock out (well we punch out on our Cisco Finesse systems so it doesn't route us a call) to use the bathroom, like made a separate code just for bathroom. Before I started I guess last meeting they has sent out some slides complaining about people using the bathroom and reminding us we have a lunch and 2 15 minute breaks and someone anonymously called the IG on them about it so last week meeting they introduced the new bathroom code to us and were like, "we're not saying or implying you can only use the bathroom a certain number of times, we're just saying don't abuse it, you have breaks and lunch, etc. Here's a new code," was such corporate speak like we're not saying, we're just saying type of thing. Because it's a 24/7 call center and SO metric driven, it creates this crappy culture from top down where everyone is always tattling on each other, ****'s horrible.

And today they introduced a new sign in sheet so we can sign in and out on paper at the Boss's desk in addition to punching in/out on Cisco because they think we are taking advantage of our 2 15 minute breaks and lunch, which he claimed in the meeting they dont have to give us those (they do, I am 100% certain) but they're such a great company they do. If anyone just wants to move out here though, they're hiring like crazy. I found out most people there aren't even local, they hire from all over the country, get you a car (mostly 2 to a car but then your share person leaves you keep it and a few have their own so IDK maybe theyre the only one from where they came from) and a place (Motel 6 ot Studio 6) at no cost to you and 6 month contracts. They're hiring with limited experience/certs which also makes this a career step back for me even though I am close in money to where I should be.

Same as any tier 2 helpdesk job, lots of dameware, remedy, sccm, remote desktop, troubleshooting, except with the added misfortune of being glued to the phone, having to have a 50%+ 1st call resolution, calls under 20 min, and 100% calls taken to remedy ticket submitted ratio.

I got to get my PMP cert so I can be a project/site manager or something and not deal with this on the same level anymore. This ***** lectured us the whole meeting and made us stay late today when he was late this morning

Oh it's not uncommon for the recruiter to call you and promise you some big number just to get you to agree to a phone interview then the contract manager offers way less, you can negotiate them up some but maybe not to where the recruiter originally said. They just want to get you on the phone with the big boss.

By the way company is Croop LaFrance or APex or Par Government.

I just took a job to turn around an IT org, heavily focused on financial transparency ... My background is in finance primarily and I am looking for the best place to learn IT jargon ... I understand a lot of it but not to the point where I'm fluent enough to speak intelligently off the cuff ...

Focused on network, storage, compute ... Any ideas?

That's odd.

Oh it's not uncommon for the recruiter to call you and promise you some big number just to get you to agree to a phone interview then the contract manager offers way less, you can negotiate them up some but maybe not to where the recruiter originally said. They just want to get you on the phone with the big boss.

By the way company is Croop LaFrance or APex or Par Government.
I've had this happen with tentative offers or a recruiter giving me an idea of what I could make. This guy gave me an hard figure and even sent a job description with the same rate listed. Told me today they just suddenly had a meeting and the original rate was out of the budget. Beyond pissed as I was looking forward to it

Man I was making 75 (I live in Oklahoma btw so that's a nice amount here) at my last job that I moved up here for, but it was like purely a Migration contract on some old flight simulation machines, but the contract ends soon and likely wont be renewed so I started putting in for other stuff. Got a new job at the HelpDesk for the whole base thinking it'd be like my job before I moved here.

**** is pure call center. I couldn't be more miserable right now. They kept my pay within 10k which I'm happy with because admittedly 75 was a bit much. But these dudes are such sticklers they make us clock out (well we punch out on our Cisco Finesse systems so it doesn't route us a call) to use the bathroom, like made a separate code just for bathroom. Before I started I guess last meeting they has sent out some slides complaining about people using the bathroom and reminding us we have a lunch and 2 15 minute breaks and someone anonymously called the IG on them about it so last week meeting they introduced the new bathroom code to us and were like, "we're not saying or implying you can only use the bathroom a certain number of times, we're just saying don't abuse it, you have breaks and lunch, etc. Here's a new code," was such corporate speak like we're not saying, we're just saying type of thing. Because it's a 24/7 call center and SO metric driven, it creates this crappy culture from top down where everyone is always tattling on each other, ****'s horrible.

And today they introduced a new sign in sheet so we can sign in and out on paper at the Boss's desk in addition to punching in/out on Cisco because they think we are taking advantage of our 2 15 minute breaks and lunch, which he claimed in the meeting they dont have to give us those (they do, I am 100% certain) but they're such a great company they do. If anyone just wants to move out here though, they're hiring like crazy. I found out most people there aren't even local, they hire from all over the country, get you a car (mostly 2 to a car but then your share person leaves you keep it and a few have their own so IDK maybe theyre the only one from where they came from) and a place (Motel 6 ot Studio 6) at no cost to you and 6 month contracts. They're hiring with limited experience/certs which also makes this a career step back for me even though I am close in money to where I should be.

Same as any tier 2 helpdesk job, lots of dameware, remedy, sccm, remote desktop, troubleshooting, except with the added misfortune of being glued to the phone, having to have a 50%+ 1st call resolution, calls under 20 min, and 100% calls taken to remedy ticket submitted ratio.

I got to get my PMP cert so I can be a project/site manager or something and not deal with this on the same level anymore. This ***** lectured us the whole meeting and made us stay late today when he was late this morning
Sounds awful, used to work in a call center, never again. It was soul sucking but the cool part is the coworkers bonded over that and got a lot of lifetime friends off that. And yeah, a govt contractor 100% has to give you two breaks and lunch.

anyone here start off at a helpdesk role? what was your next position?

when you become a system admin, does someone train you/teach you or are you expected to know everything?
Looking to maybe apply for a system admin job but I feel like i'll be unqualified. I dont know **** about servers or managing them tbh.

I'm currently in Desktop and in school for Networking as I would like for that to be my next position. Alot of IT is some of what you know and alot of what you're willing to learn. If you're not familiar and want to learn YouTube can be a gem in addition to the tons of books out here. Blessings on the journey.

W W)taps

I cant quote for some reason, but I started in help desk. I did that about 10 months. Gained knowledge through self study. No certs at this point. I applied for everything in my city. My next position, which is my current job is a "network analyst" in a NOC at a MSP. They taught me a lot of things but I explained in my interviews how I wanted to pursue a networking focused career. Been here now for just a year. I earned my CCENT. Cant say how much value its added because I haven't updated my linkedin or resume yet.
The best thing to do is show enthusiasm in your interviews, even if you've never touched the technology they use. Just make sure you do proper research and you will be fine.

I used to work as a recruiter in Houston for Oil and Gas companies. So from prior knowledge, I would say if you can get interviews for higher positions that you're not qualified for its really up to you to not blow it. They wouldn't bring you in if they didn't like something about your resume. One of the main stereotypes in IT is that there aren't many personable people. Show them you can be comfortable speaking about things you don't know. Exude confidence, but dont be arrogant.
All of that wasn't directed to you. Just wanted to give some advice for other people who may read it.
Also, I'm 29. This was a career change for me and I feel like it's easy to make the transition if you really enjoy IT. There are so many paths and disciplines.

Sounds awful, used to work in a call center, never again. It was soul sucking but the cool part is the coworkers bonded over that and got a lot of lifetime friends off that. And yeah, a govt contractor 100% has to give you two breaks and lunch.
Pretty much how it is here. Everyone crowds into groups during small breaks liek when the queue is 0 calls and makes fun of the bosses (all 3 of they *** was late today after that long *** diatribe and instituting sign in/out sheets and bathroom codes in the meeting). Seemed like nobody took either of their breaks today because everyone was so scared, especially since he fired one girl yesterday over I guess taking too long a lunch of 15 min break.

I shared my story here in the past but just wanted to give a quick update.

Cliff notes:
Laid off from Company after working there 13years, 11 in IT.
Hard 6 months just to find any job. Couldn't find a THING. Bachelors degree, and experience but there was just a lot of nothing out there.
Finally found a contractor job at a well known Hospital here in SoCal.
Busted by *** for 2 years but no full time positions would open up. Even though the need was there.
Towards the end of my contract started to look around and apply and found a position at SpaceX, which I immediately thought would be like a dream job/dream company.
Couple of interviews later and here I am at SpaceX!

It's been a few months but I love it here. Definitely more fast paced but the possibilities are endless here as far as growth within the IT field. The company views itself as a Tech company and not a Space company so you can see how many avenues that would open up for anyone that loves technology. I'm amazed by the things I see everyday and the work we are doing here.

I say all that to say this, sometimes we have a certain job and we know that it may be temporary, or we are given task and you know you have a lot more to give. But stick with it and keep your eye open and you will find that dream job. My resume looks a lot better working at that Hospital because its a highly respectable company and very hard to get into. I probably wouldn't gotten this job with out having to go through those two years.

Which hospital did you work for ?

Man I can honestly say I don't see how any person in the right mind would leave Kaiser once they are a full time employee.

I mean heck just for me starting out as a Desktop Support Associate position which is a entry level job it's paying more than what I know other people or friends of mine in the same job & role are getting quite a few $$$ less hourly and with little or no job security.

I talked with a couple co workers of mine who are Desktop Support Intermediate & Desktop Senior levels and heck the raise alone in pay for Intermediate is 6K more. Desktop Senior guys I know are getting anywhere from $40 to $45 a hour. The job security is because our Desktop support jobs are all apart of a union. The benefits are just so damn good with the amount of paid time off given each year which increases the longer you are with Kaiser, crazy low medical & dental co pays for doctor visits because of the union we are on, yearly tuition reimbursement, 401K & Vannguard, and pension plan.

I know other health care companies here in San Diego: Sharp, Scripps for they're IT departments aren't on a union.

Oh and I've been working in the IT industry for over 17 years and have done jobs as: help desk call center, desktop support, sys admin.I've worked for big companies like HP, Northrup Grumman, Lockhead Martin. I've held government clearance and worked Department Of Defense contract.

I've never had it this good before like I got it now with Kaiser.

Last edited:
I just took a job to turn around an IT org, heavily focused on financial transparency ... My background is in finance primarily and I am looking for the best place to learn IT jargon ... I understand a lot of it but not to the point where I'm fluent enough to speak intelligently off the cuff ...

Focused on network, storage, compute ... Any ideas?

sounds like Technology Business Management (TBM), which is what the org I support uses as their basis for IT procurements/acquisition

this might help if this is what you are working in...

https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/.../doc2017financialmanagementconference-tbm.pdf

if not, please disregard

Literally just started my first IT gig two weeks ago. Had no It experience before but went back to school in the fall for a bachelors in Information science and technology, was able to land a programmer analyst 1 gig for a Fortune 500.

Pay is pretty on par with what I was already making but the opportunity for advancement is exponentially better.

Happy to say I might’ve found a home.

For dudes asking if u gotta start out at a help desk lemme say no. I know it’s gonna be rough holding out but u will not regret it. Like I said I had no IT experience before his. I taught myself sql and completed maybe 3 IT classes before getting this gig (to be fair I already have a masters in something else and I was teaching).

Just know it can be done!

Took the CySa+ today and passed.

Still waiting to see the results of the Pentest+ Beta test I took.

Going to try to knock out Linux+ next then focus on more advanced cybersecurity certifications and my masters.

Hope everyone is doing well personally and professionally.

Hey fellas are any of you familiar with a systems testing analyst gig? My current employer has a post up for one but didn’t list any required technicals skills in the post. I’m really interested in applying however I don’t want to apply for a position that I’m underqualified for. Is this typically a role that one can jump into without any technical skills? Any help is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom