Information Technology (IT)

Yeah you're absolutely right. Each individual or each family will have their own reasons, but in terms of IT professionals we are fortunate enough to be in an industry that is in demand in all metropolitan areas.

But if you're looking to be a software engineer I think most have aspirations to work for Google or Apple or Facebook, and that's why this area is so attractive.

the reason we live here is not based on money though. Can't beat the weather and the trees out here :pimp:

And we have family here :lol:

Paysa is a good tool as well.
Imma check it out. Definitely underpaid but the 5% raises will do for now.

Praying I get this overseas position, should hear back within the next few business days.

EDIT: Paysa , has the same salary as Glassdoor. Paysa definitely is more in depth I like it.

Last edited:
Better weather and legal weed

And I love Atlanta.

But people just have preferences and are willing to pay more for other places

LA sure, but I`m pretty sure the Bay Area weather is not better than ATL. I`m going to SF this summer, I may "shoot my shot" at some BA or Product Management roles out there when I finish my masters.

Don't want to venture off IT talk on here, but weather in the Bay Area is dependent on where you're at...but for me anything above 80 is too hot and anything below 50 is usually too cold :lol:

And I don't mean to make a sales pitch to you guys about the Bay Area, and this will be my last point, in respect to software engineers there are venture capitalists out here throwing money to all kinds of start ups (less in recent years) and I think most come this way in hopes of catching on early to the next big thing and then cash in on IPO's

Last edited:

Business degree with banking backround. I really want to get into IT. Where should i start guys?
Two words, data science.  Get a good understand of sql and databases along with at least 1 data analysis language (python, R, etc) and a decent understanding of statistics.  given you business background and technical knowledge you can write your own ticket.  Its surprisingly easy to find someone with a phd in stats and data analysis skills, its next to impossible to find someone with business knowledge and data analysis skills. I literally have recruiters calling me couple times a month.  I am actually leving my current job next month for an additional 80k in comp.  My current group has 2 manager level, and 2 sr analyst level openings that they cant fill.  

Two words, data science.  Get a good understand of sql and databases along with at least 1 data analysis language (python, R, etc) and a decent understanding of statistics.  given you business background and technical knowledge you can write your own ticket.  Its surprisingly easy to find someone with a phd in stats and data analysis skills, its next to impossible to find someone with business knowledge and data analysis skills. I literally have recruiters calling me couple times a month.  I am actually leving my current job next month for an additional 80k in comp.  My current group has 2 manager level, and 2 sr analyst level openings that they cant fill.  

yeah we had some PHD students do some Stat stuff for us and they were real mechanical. They provided data but they didnt understand the nature of the business.

yeah we had some PHD students do some Stat stuff for us and they were real mechanical. They provided data but they didnt understand the nature of the business.
Yup.  i manage a small data science team, and i can say without a doubt the business side is more important than the quantitative side.  however, as i stated before find a kid with a finance background that can code is pretty hard.  that being said in a true data science environment each person should have business knowledge, quant knowledge, and technical knowledge.  you can never ignore the business side, and those that have a business background but decent quant and technical sills will find themselves in high demand.  

Yup.  i manage a small data science team, and i can say without a doubt the business side is more important than the quantitative side.  however, as i stated before find a kid with a finance background that can code is pretty hard.  that being said in a true data science environment each person should have business knowledge, quant knowledge, and technical knowledge.  you can never ignore the business side, and those that have a business background but decent quant and technical sills will find themselves in high demand.  

Nice Im a IT BA More so on the development side of things but Ive noticed the huge market for BI and Data analyst since sometimes those roles use the BA title also. I enjoy development and the product side of things more so than data analysis. I do have SQL skills and took a course last semester where we learned the Microsoft BI suite of tools, so it is interesting stuff but I wouldnt want my entire job to be just doing ETL and Datawarehouse stuff

Pittsburgh is trying to shape itself into an IT hub, w/ automation and I'm happy to see it. Microsoft and UPMC have a partnership, Uber is building a self driving track out here and I see the self driving cars daily. Ford just invested $1B into a local company for autonomous AI, things might start looking out for me as far as job opportunities here in IT.

Anyone involved in ux/ui design or research? Coding is becoming a drag and I need more creative things do for a career. Any recommendations on books or learning courses helps.

Currently working as a manager at an Audit Firm performing FISMA/FISCAM reviews and studying for the CISSP. Any recommendations on additional certifications to obtain or areas to research? Already looking more into Cloud Computing. Thanks in advance!

Also if anyone looking for a good podcast check out "Security Now" -> https://twit.tv/episodes?filter[shows]=1636. They also have transcripts available for anyone interested -> https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Last edited:
Currently working as a manager at an Audit Firm performing FISMA/FISCAM reviews and studying for the CISSP. Any recommendations on additional certifications to obtain or areas to research? Already looking more into Cloud Computing. Thanks in advance!

Also if anyone looking for a good podcast check out "Security Now" -> https://twit.tv/episodes?filter[shows]=1636. They also have transcripts available for anyone interested -> https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

AWS solution architect cert if you are looking at learning about the cloud.

is it worth getting a CompTia A+ cert ? working on my degree in computer science but still three years away at least . i do want a job in the IT Field as I continue working on my degree and I feel tht the cert might help ...

Last edited:
is it worth getting a CompTia A+ cert ? working on my degree in computer science but still three years away at least . i do want a job in the IT Field as I continue working on my degree and I feel tht the cert might help ...

I wouldnt waste my time on an A+ especially being in college. Id say youd be better off working part time at your universities help desk or best buy geek squad assuming you are a traditional student and dont need money to feed a fam lol

No, not if you are getting a comp sci degree. If anything get the Security+ or Network+ , relatively cheap.

Got my ish in order and will be starting WGU on 4/1. Thought I owed my previous school thousands of dollars and come to find out I only owe these people $30. I'm going to send off the $ this weekend and then request my transcripts to finish up the process.

Definitely not worth the $300 it takes to even sit for the exam. As stated before, land a position and get some experience under your belt. Blessings on the journey!!

so tomorrow is my first day... working as a gov contractor for a help desk position...

how should I dress? are jeans + button up good? I forgot how people were dressing when I went in for an interview. 

all I remember is that no one was wearing a suit or tie lol.

Back
Top Bottom