Improving your basketball skills after 25 (serious topic)

I'm 22, but I'm probably in the shape of someone who's 35. I need to lose this gut and get my speed back 
30t6p3b.gif

You old guys have inspired me
laugh.gif
. After getting cut by my high school team i thought i would never really get to a chance to play organized ball again seeing how i wasnt good enough play college ball. Now i see i still should have plenty of motivation to still play.
pimp.gif

You old guys have inspired me
laugh.gif
. After getting cut by my high school team i thought i would never really get to a chance to play organized ball again seeing how i wasnt good enough play college ball. Now i see i still should have plenty of motivation to still play.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tbrooks24

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

At least you guys still have old friends who are willing to join a league with you. My friends are bums and lazy. I need to join an adult league because im bore of pick up games. Anyone know any adult league in Orange County , CA ?
in fountain valley theres a league at a church called shoreline. its off brookhurst and ellis not a bad place decent players as well.

I also need to know if there are any free open gym around Orange county

At least you guys still have old friends who are willing to join a league with you. My friends are bums and lazy. I need to join an adult league because im bore of pick up games. Anyone know any adult league in Orange County , CA ?
in fountain valley theres a league at a church called shoreline. its off brookhurst and ellis not a bad place decent players as well.

I also need to know if there are any free open gym around Orange county

yea there one in huntington beach i know of called city gym on thursday at 715 gotta get there by 645 to be first game tho lots of games

yea there one in huntington beach i know of called city gym on thursday at 715 gotta get there by 645 to be first game tho lots of games

Cool . Hows the competition ? Any other places ?

Cool . Hows the competition ? Any other places ?

i dont kno I use to love the game, playing use to just take my mind off of everything back in college, but after i graduated its been hard to maintain that love and passion for the game wit everything else i have to juggle right now, but i will be makin an effort to from here on out, thanks OP

i dont kno I use to love the game, playing use to just take my mind off of everything back in college, but after i graduated its been hard to maintain that love and passion for the game wit everything else i have to juggle right now, but i will be makin an effort to from here on out, thanks OP

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's good to know that I'm not the only person who feels this way. I felt the need to create this post because I've got a couple leagues I'll be playing in this coming week. Anyone else playing in any leagues anytime soon?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's good to know that I'm not the only person who feels this way. I felt the need to create this post because I've got a couple leagues I'll be playing in this coming week. Anyone else playing in any leagues anytime soon?

I'm sorry but you guys are the absolute worse people at the gym...

23-33 year old dudes dribbling around the court and doing drills....then the losers who bring a friend with them to do shooting drills for 2 hours....

seriously we need 1 or 2 more guys for a full run and you give us the 'na bro i am just practicing' speech....seriously? the best part is after the 3 hours of practice they end up wanting to run 1 game before leaving and they suck so bad...lol

but if your trying to get better at your own time away from pick-up games/courts then its all good i guess...

I'm sorry but you guys are the absolute worse people at the gym...

23-33 year old dudes dribbling around the court and doing drills....then the losers who bring a friend with them to do shooting drills for 2 hours....

seriously we need 1 or 2 more guys for a full run and you give us the 'na bro i am just practicing' speech....seriously? the best part is after the 3 hours of practice they end up wanting to run 1 game before leaving and they suck so bad...lol

but if your trying to get better at your own time away from pick-up games/courts then its all good i guess...

^

There are people younger than 23 that do that too you know.

The worst people at the gym are the ones that take it too seriously or don't know what they're doing. They confuse 110% with actual smart hustle. I was undercut too many times a few years ago, now I always take the layup no matter how wide open I am. There are also the guys that think they have to "make the foul count". Like what are you even doing fouling? You get beat, let the man by. Don't hack from behind when you have no chance to make an actual play.

These people are the reason many of our older brethren are scared to play. When you don't want to take a sick day off of work cuz of some hack at the gym.

^

The worst people at the gym are the ones that take it too seriously or don't know what they're doing. They confuse 110% with actual smart hustle. I was undercut too many times a few years ago, now I always take the layup no matter how wide open I am. There are also the guys that think they have to "make the foul count". Like what are you even doing fouling? You get beat, let the man by. Don't hack from behind when you have no chance to make an actual play.

These people are the reason many of our older brethren are scared to play. When you don't want to take a sick day off of work cuz of some hack at the gym.

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

^

Is that you Chris Bosh?

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

^

Is that you Chris Bosh?

My bball IQ has increased, but my athleticism has decreased a little bit. The only thing that has noticibly decreased is my jumping ability; at 17 I was FLYING
30t6p3b.gif
But all in all I think I'm in my prime because I'm still very athletic/ strong. 27 btw.

My bball IQ has increased, but my athleticism has decreased a little bit. The only thing that has noticibly decreased is my jumping ability; at 17 I was FLYING
30t6p3b.gif
But all in all I think I'm in my prime because I'm still very athletic/ strong. 27 btw.

I feel the same way, granted I'm only 23, but in HS i felt like I never really given a fair chance to be taught the game being that I played football and did track. Coach had all the "main players" he had that only played basketball, who got most of the coaching/minutes. It also didn't help that at 6'3, I was playing the same post position as guys on our team that were 6'6, 6'8 and 6'10
eyes.gif
. With that being said I felt like I never got a real shot to play a game I always loved. I had a decent jumper, just wasn't a very good ball handler (pause) since I always played the post.

It also didn't help that I have been the same height since like 7th grade (6'3) and had been playing the post my whole life...True story believe it or not

Since I've graduated I have been working on dribbling drills, and now think of myself more of a bigger PG. Those little dudes think they can steal the rock from me since I'm tall but I can dribble effectively with both hands no problem. I've also developed a pass first mentality so when they do try and double team, I usually find someone open anyways. This added with my post background has made me a develop a game I'm comfortable with, but I know I could get a lot better...

I feel the same way, granted I'm only 23, but in HS i felt like I never really given a fair chance to be taught the game being that I played football and did track. Coach had all the "main players" he had that only played basketball, who got most of the coaching/minutes. It also didn't help that at 6'3, I was playing the same post position as guys on our team that were 6'6, 6'8 and 6'10
eyes.gif
. With that being said I felt like I never got a real shot to play a game I always loved. I had a decent jumper, just wasn't a very good ball handler (pause) since I always played the post.

It also didn't help that I have been the same height since like 7th grade (6'3) and had been playing the post my whole life...True story believe it or not

Since I've graduated I have been working on dribbling drills, and now think of myself more of a bigger PG. Those little dudes think they can steal the rock from me since I'm tall but I can dribble effectively with both hands no problem. I've also developed a pass first mentality so when they do try and double team, I usually find someone open anyways. This added with my post background has made me a develop a game I'm comfortable with, but I know I could get a lot better...

Back
Top Bottom