If your not Black.... and for Halloween you dress up as a Gangsta or a Rapper...

is that an unintentional insult somehow??... Reason why this came up was because a friend of mine pitched the idea that we should all rock out in Bling, andbandanas etc etc for halloween... But im kinda sketch about it...? what do you think?

EDIT : I decided not to do this for halloween, decided on being something else.

That doesnt bother, as far as that goes the only thing that bother me is if you dress up in black face.

lmao you shouldnt need to dress up then

j/k
laugh.gif

no.
unless you paint ur face black. but it won't really be unintentional that way i suppose..
my point is, who cares.

i dressed up as T.I. last year and I'm white. i wore a black and white "prisoner" style striped shirt, shades, wore a hat the way he wears hisand carried 4 different toy guns around. I don't see it as a problem as long as youre not doing black face, thats taking it a little too far.

the same can go for a black dude who puts on really light make up and wears a wig to dress up as a white guy (ive seen it done). bet none of ya'll will saythats racist though

Dress up as lil wayne man, do the tats on your face and everything to
laugh.gif

just reminds me of when my cousin bought some cheezy %%% pimp suit and tried playing it off like he was hot @!!%
eyes.gif

No. Last time I checked being a gangster or rapper is not exclusive to just black people.

Man whats the deal with all these racial topics today?
laugh.gif

Naw, it doesnt even matter fam.
If you want to dress up as a rapper then do you. If people get offended by it then forget them.
Just dont do anything stupid though lol.

Get ready to feel awkward.

This one kid thought it would be cool to be a "Gangsta" it was super lame.
Dressing is one thing... but leave the act at home.

Dude got lit up with paint balls
nerd.gif

circa 02-03

Originally Posted by sunshine734

i dressed up as T.I. last year and I'm white. i wore a black and white "prisoner" style striped shirt, shades, wore a hat the way he wears his and carried 4 different toy guns around. I don't see it as a problem as long as youre not doing black face, thats taking it a little too far.

the same can go for a black dude who puts on really light make up and wears a wig to dress up as a white guy (ive seen it done). bet none of ya'll will say thats racist though
indifferent.gif

Ofcourse we wont say a black guy dressing up as a white guy is racist,

First of all, if a white guy would dress up as a black guy 9 times outta 10 they gonna dress up in a"gangster" manner, with their pants saggin and chains and #*%+ which is mad stereotipical and racist.

Just like when people say they are acting black. They arent gonna speak properly they gonna try and use slang and stuff.

But to the op, its cool but its played out. Just make sure there arent any black dudes around your way or your costume's intent may be misconstrued
laugh.gif

just dont go out of you way to portray yourself as black. not every black person is gangster nor a rapper. that's the offensive part.
%%!% is mad corny though.

It depends on execution. For example this when I was in high school this asian girl came to school dressed up as a thug. She just braided her hair, wore sometight jeans and wifebeater, the black students were pretty pissed about that

thats just being stereotypical, a lot of people dress like that for halloween and even on a daily bases, but its a WACK idea

The people are racist if they automatically assume that you're trying to be black as they are the ones stereotyping what a black person looks and acts like

Originally Posted by Dakingii

Originally Posted by sunshine734

i dressed up as T.I. last year and I'm white. i wore a black and white "prisoner" style striped shirt, shades, wore a hat the way he wears his and carried 4 different toy guns around. I don't see it as a problem as long as youre not doing black face, thats taking it a little too far.

the same can go for a black dude who puts on really light make up and wears a wig to dress up as a white guy (ive seen it done). bet none of ya'll will say thats racist though
indifferent.gif

Ofcourse we wont say a black guy dressing up as a white guy is racist,

First of all, if a white guy would dress up as a black guy 9 times outta 10 they gonna dress up in a "gangster" manner, with their pants saggin and chains and #*%+ which is mad stereotipical and racist.

Just like when people say they are acting black. They arent gonna speak properly they gonna try and use slang and stuff.

But to the op, its cool but its played out. Just make sure there arent any black dudes around your way or your costume's intent may be misconstrued
laugh.gif
There's some stereotyping going on in here.

There is nothing wrong with dressing up as another ethnicity than yours. It's all about intention and execution. Stereotyping and things like blackface,however, are no-nos.

I'm Jewish and in past years I've been Mars Blackmon and Grandmama (aka Larry Johnson) and in high school I was Loc Dog from "Don't Be aMenace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" among other costumes over the years. Larry Johnson was one of my favorite players when Iwas younger (I'm talking the Charlotte years). "Don't be a Menace" was one of my favorite comedies and I'm a big Jordan/Spike fan alongwith liking "She's Gotta Have It" (the movie in which the character of Mars originated). I also tried to make the costumes as accurate aspossible and didn't do anything disrespectful like wear blackface. No one was offended by any of these costumes and it's not as if I live in Iowa in anall-white town. I live in Manhattan in NYC.

Like I said before, it's all intention and execution.

wow, you must be really cautious about the whole black thing huh...I mean your were stereotyping as you wrote that, you think all rappers and gangstas areblack
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom