If the Patriots..

Originally Posted by Deuce King

What the hell difference does this make? The 04 Lakers had four HOF'ers on their team and the 95-96 Bulls had two HOF'ers (should be three, but it's still two). Yet the Lakers didn't win during the year they were together.
Yeah but the 04 Lakers didn't win the championship that year for starters, and overall from a team perspective in regards to stats and monumental records, they didn't break anything. The 95-96 Bulls did of course, and people can actually name some of the members of that team.

the new york yankees have a HOF starting 9 and have won NOTHING.....

I see I have to clarify for some of you dudes, having HOF players is only part of the equation from my standpoint in regards to the greatest team ever. How can you be considered the greatest team ever and you only have 1 player at best who is even recognizable or even a HOF. We're talking legends here people, how in the world can you be considered a legend if nobody remembers you?? Joe Montana-Legend, Jerry Rice-Legend, Bill Walsh-Legend, Ronnie Lott-Legend, Terry Bradshaw-Legend, Franco Harris-Legend, Joe Greene-Legend, Chuck Knoll-Legend, John Stallworth-Legend, Jack Lambert-Legend.............In regards to the Patriots, the "so called" greatest team ever Tom Brady-Legend, Bill Belichick-Legend, after that who else do they have. I suppose you dudes are going to tell me that Teddy Bruschi is a legend right??

What does HOF players have to do with winning games?
I never said you need HOF players to win games, you need HOF players to be remembered however. How can you be remembered if nobody knows who you are??

Wow. Terrible argument.

Football is a team sport, and the Pats have built their reputation of excellence on this basis. Also, the casual fan would rarely know the O-line and largeparts of the defense of any Super Bowl team. The only thing fans remember is wins and dominance. Can you name me the "legends" from the 72 Dolphinsoff the top of your head? I'm pretty sure most fans know about them.

Not to mention that the Pats would still "be remembered" by the terms of your argument. They have sure fire HOFers in Brady, Belichick, Seau and anear lock in Moss.

Originally Posted by K8be wan Kenobi

Randy Moss - Legend
Rodney Harrison - Legend
Junior Seau - Legend

Seau is a Chargers legend, Moss is a Vikings legend.

Agreed. But we're talking about the best team here, not the best franchise. And the 2007-2008 New England Patriots have Tom Brady, RandyMoss, Junior Seau, and Rodney Harrison. All future HOFers.

If all this happens, will ESPN talk about anything but the Patriots for 6 months?
jerseymizzle wrote:
they're already giving them the 2005 USC treatment. got parcells talking about how they rank against all the teams, did the madden sim of pats vs. 72 dolphins...obviously you gotta cover a perfect season but ESPN looked foolish after the rose bowl, you'd think they would learn a lesson.

That's why... ... ...
I said this (in this thread):
I've said on here before that I don't think a team will ever go undefeated, and I stand by it.

Mainly because the playing fields are so close in today's sports, and because of the media hype that would surround a team that was undefeated going into the final week of the regular season. If they won that game and they were undefeated heading into the playoffs, the media would make sure we all knew that there was really only one team in the playoffs, and a bunch of other afterthoughts. And the more they kept winning, the more pressure the media would add to make sure they KEPT winning.

It's why teammates don't talk to a guy throwing a no-hitter.

The media does the exact opposite.

if they go 16-0 and win the superbowl, yeah best team ever, pants down

yes. no doubt about it. and i believe if brady achieves all of this then he will go down as ONE of the best qb's ever. not primarily based on this season,but the guy still has a good time left in the league.

they not the best team ever they just playing good football thats all they can be beat its just alot of hype on them thats all dont get me wrong moss is greatwhen he want to play but other than that no let one of them go down moss or brady its ova
laugh.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^ that is the longest sentence ive seen in my life. NE has won rings without Moss. They also added welker, stallworth. moss plays a big part in theoffense, but if moss wasnt there stallworth would be getting alot more looks.

Seau is a Chargers legend, Moss is a Vikings legend.
Thank you. You can tell some of these other dudes just starting watching football this year.

harrison is not a legend.

Truth.

And the 2007-2008 New England Patriots have Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Junior Seau, and Rodney Harrison. All future HOFers.

laugh.gif
I'm surprised you didn't add Teddy Bruschi to that list.

Football is a team sport, and the Pats have built their reputation of excellence on this basis. Also, the casual fan would rarely know the O-line and large parts of the defense of any Super Bowl team. The only thing fans remember is wins and dominance. Can you name me the "legends" from the 72 Dolphins off the top of your head? I'm pretty sure most fans know about them.

Yeah, they definitely got the team aspect down as they have built their reputation on that especially with their past Super Bowl titles but to me they arecertainly not the most dominate football team I've seen. Maybe it's the intangible pieces, but the league overall is very subpar atbest this year for starters, and the level of competition isn't the same as it has been in the past, not just the very past but years prior. Now I know"we" can't necessarily hold that against that Pats but I'm certainly taking that into consideration before I or anyone of you dudes labelthem "greatest team of ever". Also off top from the '72 dolphins I can think of Don Shula, Larry Csonka, Bob Griese, and Nick"Bonconti"......I might be spelling that name wrong but you get the point.

People use the term "greatest" loosely all too much for any sport today. Some might say that Tom Brady is the greatest player to ever play the gameof football. Sure, there could be arguements about how Tom is the greatest, being compared to the likes of Elway and Marino, and you couldn't exactly provethat he is the greatest, because every player has something about them that makes them better than the other. Now argue that with the team standpoint. Youcould say the Pats are the greatest team ever to play, but other teams like the Steelers, Dolphins, Bears, Cowboys, all have something about them thatchallenge the Pats to being the greatest team ever.

However, going 19-0 (two more wins that the fish), winning the super bowl, the QB getting the TD record, the team getting the scoring record, the WR gettingthe season TD record, they all contribute to the greatest team arguement. But put those against the Steel Curtain (copyright SKA, brought it up earlier), theBears Defense, and the whole '72 Dolphins team. Every team has certain strengths that can be used for the "greatest" arguement. So now thequestion is, can we really specifically define the Pats as the greatest team? Comparing all those things, such as an undefeated season (two more wins than thedolphins great team), QB passing record (the greatest single season record in the NFL IMO), the scoring record (if you scored the most points of any team inthe NFL in a single season, it would be huge for the arguement), and the WR single season TD record (another huge single season record in the NFL). With allthat said, In my opinion, they are the greatest team ever. Doesnt even matter if some of those things dont happen, such as the QB/WR TD record, or the scoringrecord. If the team, I emphasize "team", goes 19-0 winning the super bowl, its nearly enough to put them at the top of the list.

the greatness of the patriots all hangs on how they do in the playoffs

I agree with that 100%

if all this happens, you can certainly make an argument that they are the best team ever. no one can definitely say "best" and think they are rightor wrong. it's a matter of bias and personal preference imo. but you can compare franchise histories, and in my book if the patriots win their 4thsuperbowl in 7 yrs, and with the playoff success they had last yr included as well as a few other yrs (the bledsoe yrs), they are right up there with thecowboys, niners, packers, in terms of FRANCHISE success. remember, they are doing this in the salary cap era

Who cares. As a Pats fan, I just want to see them go undefeated win the Super Bowl and break some records along the way.

The Millenium Patriots are what the Cowboys were in the 90's, the 49ers were in the 80's, the Steelers were in the 70's and the Packers were in the60's.

Tom Brady > Peyton Manning

Bill Belichick > Tony Dungy

Randy Moss > Reggie Wayne

idk about all dat but it's a good thing that the game will broadcast on cbs,nbc now i can watch the game instead of going on the internet & readingabout it play by play!!!! thanks NFL
happy.gif
happy.gif

Originally Posted by Mickey Moss

The Millenium Patriots are what the Cowboys were in the 90's, the 49ers were in the 80's, the Steelers were in the 70's and the Packers were in the 60's.

Tom Brady > Peyton Manning

Bill Belichick > Tony Dungy

Randy Moss > Reggie Wayne

Agree with everything except you using Reggie Wayne as Colts' best receiver.. But Moss > him too..

Back
Top Bottom