If Blake Griffin & John Wall were in the same draft together, who goes #1?

Originally Posted by Im Not You

John Wall.

The "big man" theory is flawed in this new era of basketball IMO. Unless that big man is Tim Duncan redux and I'm placing him next to another 7 footer who's pretty good...I'll go w/ the elite point.
Why is that flawed? D. Howard is one of the 5 best players alive and he isn't even as good as any of the elite centers in the 90's were.  Just cause there is a lack of big men who are actually good, doesn't mean they actually are less important.  Basketball is a still a game of size, there is still a reason the two biggest teams, the Lakers and the Celts have been in the finals the past 3 years essentially.

John Wall.

The "big man" theory is flawed in this new era of basketball IMO. Unless that big man is Tim Duncan redux and I'm placing him next to another 7 footer who's pretty good...I'll go w/ the elite point.
Why is that flawed? D. Howard is one of the 5 best players alive and he isn't even as good as any of the elite centers in the 90's were.  Just cause there is a lack of big men who are actually good, doesn't mean they actually are less important.  Basketball is a still a game of size, there is still a reason the two biggest teams, the Lakers and the Celts have been in the finals the past 3 years essentially.

/\ And the two best players on those teams are guards. Also...you can argue that what makes those teams great is because of their frontcourt DEPTH and not any one guy.

I didn't say bigs aren't important...but again...I believe the Elite Big > Elite Point/Wing theory is flawed.

/\ And the two best players on those teams are guards. Also...you can argue that what makes those teams great is because of their frontcourt DEPTH and not any one guy.

I didn't say bigs aren't important...but again...I believe the Elite Big > Elite Point/Wing theory is flawed.

I think some of you guys are forgetting that when teams draft in the NBA, they're looking at upside/potential a bit more than value right now which is a bit opposite of how NFL teams draft with the mindset of immediate improvement/results. With that being said, I believe Wall has way more upside than Griffin. It is true that right now Griffin is very raw and his game simply relies on athleticism and not much more, but I feel as if he won't get much better than where he's at now. When he was first getting drafted, I felt like his numbers would be comparable to Elton Brand's when he first entered the beginning of his decline (due to injuries I know). He has by far exceeded my expectations, but he still looks like a guy who will never acquire that offensive touch and finesse (think Dwight Howard but way more mechanical). He'll simply be a highlight factory until the athleticism starts to decline or God-forbid he gets more bad injuries. Wall is raw right now too, but he has a natural feel for the game in which you can see that he will inevitably improve in almost all facets of his game.

I am a Wizards fan, but no bias here lol...

So Wall would be #1 over Griffin.

I think some of you guys are forgetting that when teams draft in the NBA, they're looking at upside/potential a bit more than value right now which is a bit opposite of how NFL teams draft with the mindset of immediate improvement/results. With that being said, I believe Wall has way more upside than Griffin. It is true that right now Griffin is very raw and his game simply relies on athleticism and not much more, but I feel as if he won't get much better than where he's at now. When he was first getting drafted, I felt like his numbers would be comparable to Elton Brand's when he first entered the beginning of his decline (due to injuries I know). He has by far exceeded my expectations, but he still looks like a guy who will never acquire that offensive touch and finesse (think Dwight Howard but way more mechanical). He'll simply be a highlight factory until the athleticism starts to decline or God-forbid he gets more bad injuries. Wall is raw right now too, but he has a natural feel for the game in which you can see that he will inevitably improve in almost all facets of his game.

I am a Wizards fan, but no bias here lol...

So Wall would be #1 over Griffin.

/\ Not giving Griffin enough credit for his skill level. Compare him to Amare, Dwight, and all of these other super athletic big men when they came in...skill wise he's probably at the forefront at the same age.

Took Amare years to get that jumper right. Won't take Blake the same amount of time.

/\ Not giving Griffin enough credit for his skill level. Compare him to Amare, Dwight, and all of these other super athletic big men when they came in...skill wise he's probably at the forefront at the same age.

Took Amare years to get that jumper right. Won't take Blake the same amount of time.

This. Blake's jumper and range have improved throughout the season. It's a shame that dude is so athletic that people assume he isn't skilled or that he's just catching oops. He's already a good passer. I agree about the whole "big man theory" being useless this generation, but I'd still take Griffin over Wall

This. Blake's jumper and range have improved throughout the season. It's a shame that dude is so athletic that people assume he isn't skilled or that he's just catching oops. He's already a good passer. I agree about the whole "big man theory" being useless this generation, but I'd still take Griffin over Wall

I think there is a good argument for both players. I personally would choose Griffin but you have to wonder how long he will keep this up. Will he continue to expand his game during offseasons or continue to rely on his athleticism. Will he have the incentive or desire to improve his game if doing what he is currently doing comes so easily?

I think there is a good argument for both players. I personally would choose Griffin but you have to wonder how long he will keep this up. Will he continue to expand his game during offseasons or continue to rely on his athleticism. Will he have the incentive or desire to improve his game if doing what he is currently doing comes so easily?

Originally Posted by DT43

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

depends on who has the pick.
this.

imo Wall has greater potential to lead a winning team in the future. Blake is awesome, but he strikes me as one of those guys who will average 20-10 for a team that misses the playoffs every year.
Because of the team he plays on or because of the way he plays? I'm very curious to understand your logic on that one.

The big man usually gets the nod.
This. Unless the team with the #1 pick has an All-Star 4, then Griffin is the choice. Still debatable even if they do have that.
idk when it comes to big men. i generally prefer centers.. or at least guys who are "anchors" on both ends. i feel like its easier to build a winning team around an anchor-style big man

Why not just admit you haven't really watched him play?

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

depends on who has the pick.
this.

imo Wall has greater potential to lead a winning team in the future. Blake is awesome, but he strikes me as one of those guys who will average 20-10 for a team that misses the playoffs every year.
Because of the team he plays on or because of the way he plays? I'm very curious to understand your logic on that one.

The big man usually gets the nod.
This. Unless the team with the #1 pick has an All-Star 4, then Griffin is the choice. Still debatable even if they do have that.
idk when it comes to big men. i generally prefer centers.. or at least guys who are "anchors" on both ends. i feel like its easier to build a winning team around an anchor-style big man

Why not just admit you haven't really watched him play?

Originally Posted by gotJz

It is true that right now Griffin is very raw and his game simply relies on athleticism and not much more, but I feel as if he won't get much better than where he's at now. When he was first getting drafted, I felt like his numbers would be comparable to Elton Brand's when he first entered the beginning of his decline (due to injuries I know). He has by far exceeded my expectations, but he still looks like a guy who will never acquire that offensive touch and finesse (think Dwight Howard but way more mechanical). He'll simply be a highlight factory until the athleticism starts to decline or God-forbid he gets more bad injuries.
Ugh...

Originally Posted by gotJz

It is true that right now Griffin is very raw and his game simply relies on athleticism and not much more, but I feel as if he won't get much better than where he's at now. When he was first getting drafted, I felt like his numbers would be comparable to Elton Brand's when he first entered the beginning of his decline (due to injuries I know). He has by far exceeded my expectations, but he still looks like a guy who will never acquire that offensive touch and finesse (think Dwight Howard but way more mechanical). He'll simply be a highlight factory until the athleticism starts to decline or God-forbid he gets more bad injuries.
Ugh...

Griffin no question. great/good PGs come a long every year, talented big men are hard to find. Griffin is a very rare talent, dude is a certified beast.

Griffin no question. great/good PGs come a long every year, talented big men are hard to find. Griffin is a very rare talent, dude is a certified beast.

With the recent excellence of the Point Guard, I actually wouldn't be surprised if more than half of teams out there would have picked John, giving them a choice.

With the recent excellence of the Point Guard, I actually wouldn't be surprised if more than half of teams out there would have picked John, giving them a choice.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

roll.gif

This is hilarious to me. You're making the argument for Blake and not even realizing it. 

"Recent excellence of the Point Guard" = there are a lot of good point guards in the NBA = there are a lot of good point guards coming out of college. 

Which is even more reason to pick Blake Griffin. 

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

roll.gif

This is hilarious to me. You're making the argument for Blake and not even realizing it. 

"Recent excellence of the Point Guard" = there are a lot of good point guards in the NBA = there are a lot of good point guards coming out of college. 

Which is even more reason to pick Blake Griffin. 

Back
Top Bottom