I want to go to Law School...

Long story short, I graduated college in August of 2009.

I need to do something useful again.

I've been working IT in corporate America, it's easy, sometimes too easy, but it's not something I can see my self doing professionally.

I saw down and said should I get an MBA, Audio Engineering Certification, or Law School.

It all comes down to interest, and being reasonable. I can engineer here and there and study on my own.

The MBA stuff is straight but seems crowded like it's the new bachelors.

I know the law field is crowded too but, something about it interest me.

I didn't do well in college but graduated, but I'm about to focus on the LSAT and see how that's goes.

I don't have nothing to lose at this point, I can only gain knowledge by studying for a test I might fail...right?

Ya'll give me some insight.

I would have posted this in the music forum but I would have received different responses, the reality is I love music, I have a passion for it, but at the end of the day, instead of being the artist, I want to be behind the artist from a different prospective.

I mean life is short and spending it being unproductive is the last thing I would rather do.

Right now, money from corporate America, mixing/mastering, and my side IT business holds me down well, but I need to grow as an individual in society.

I want young black males to be like you can still be dope and educated.

Long story short, I graduated college in August of 2009.

I need to do something useful again.

I've been working IT in corporate America, it's easy, sometimes too easy, but it's not something I can see my self doing professionally.

I saw down and said should I get an MBA, Audio Engineering Certification, or Law School.

It all comes down to interest, and being reasonable. I can engineer here and there and study on my own.

The MBA stuff is straight but seems crowded like it's the new bachelors.

I know the law field is crowded too but, something about it interest me.

I didn't do well in college but graduated, but I'm about to focus on the LSAT and see how that's goes.

I don't have nothing to lose at this point, I can only gain knowledge by studying for a test I might fail...right?

Ya'll give me some insight.

I would have posted this in the music forum but I would have received different responses, the reality is I love music, I have a passion for it, but at the end of the day, instead of being the artist, I want to be behind the artist from a different prospective.

I mean life is short and spending it being unproductive is the last thing I would rather do.

Right now, money from corporate America, mixing/mastering, and my side IT business holds me down well, but I need to grow as an individual in society.

I want young black males to be like you can still be dope and educated.

i thought of the same thing, right now im attempting to get into grad school for a master of education degree....

i figure the LSAT will always be there...and as a teacher, ill have summers off....

so eventually, i do plan to at least take the LSAT....and depending on how good or bad i do on it.....take the options from there...

good luck tho

i thought of the same thing, right now im attempting to get into grad school for a master of education degree....

i figure the LSAT will always be there...and as a teacher, ill have summers off....

so eventually, i do plan to at least take the LSAT....and depending on how good or bad i do on it.....take the options from there...

good luck tho

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

good luck tho

I just did some reading and I might try to shoot for a degree in something IT on the Master's level. I just need to educate myself more. I would consider education technology but it seems like one of those useless Graduate Degrees.

If I can't do the law school route, I'm thinking something in Digital Forensics or something of that nature.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

good luck tho

I just did some reading and I might try to shoot for a degree in something IT on the Master's level. I just need to educate myself more. I would consider education technology but it seems like one of those useless Graduate Degrees.

If I can't do the law school route, I'm thinking something in Digital Forensics or something of that nature.

Originally Posted by iAllan

Life is short, get a blog.

wow....you are so damn funny
ohwell.gif

OP, I too find the prospect of Law school (or rather, the inherent education) interesting. However, the reality of the matter is that I wasn't born with a silver spoon in mouth, so in order for me to attend Law school I'd frankly have to pay outta pocket and well, I'm NOT remotely interested in accumulating debt well in excess of 100K-300K (a point that is very much the reality for many Law students).

Don't let the prestige of a JD lure you into a (potentially) dire situation as far as finances and credit is concerned.

I suggest you read this article just to get some perspective (it's a long read, but if you're serious about this Law "thing", you'll read it; furthermore, to my understanding, reading assignments in Law schools dwarf the piece, so if you really cant stomach the length of the article, take it as yet one more sign that Law school may not be for you):

http://www.nytimes.com/20...iness&pagewanted=all

OP, I too find the prospect of Law school (or rather, the inherent education) interesting. However, the reality of the matter is that I wasn't born with a silver spoon in mouth, so in order for me to attend Law school I'd frankly have to pay outta pocket and well, I'm NOT remotely interested in accumulating debt well in excess of 100K-300K (a point that is very much the reality for many Law students).

Don't let the prestige of a JD lure you into a (potentially) dire situation as far as finances and credit is concerned.

I suggest you read this article just to get some perspective (it's a long read, but if you're serious about this Law "thing", you'll read it; furthermore, to my understanding, reading assignments in Law schools dwarf the piece, so if you really cant stomach the length of the article, take it as yet one more sign that Law school may not be for you):

http://www.nytimes.com/20...iness&pagewanted=all

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Originally Posted by suge67

law school does not equal growth of an individual in society

In my world it does, sorry for wanting to educate myself and find more challenges in life. Proceed with your life.

eek.gif

DEADED.

Yo, I think law school is a good move. It's going to come down to picking the right school for you and nailing the LSAT.

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Originally Posted by suge67

law school does not equal growth of an individual in society

In my world it does, sorry for wanting to educate myself and find more challenges in life. Proceed with your life.

eek.gif

DEADED.

Yo, I think law school is a good move. It's going to come down to picking the right school for you and nailing the LSAT.

I am a licensed attorney. I graduated in May and sworn into the Illinois Bar exam November 4th. I strongly advise you to evaluate, and reevaluate your reasoning for going to law school. Not that I think your reasoning is not valid, just that the work, in relation to a master's program, is unparralled and you might need more than that to get you through. Frankly, if you are just doing it to add letters at the end of your name, then you will be in for a rude awakening. So again, im not saying that you should not do it, but that you should think long and hard. It WILL be the most intense 3.5 years of your life. Thats a fact!

I am a licensed attorney. I graduated in May and sworn into the Illinois Bar exam November 4th. I strongly advise you to evaluate, and reevaluate your reasoning for going to law school. Not that I think your reasoning is not valid, just that the work, in relation to a master's program, is unparralled and you might need more than that to get you through. Frankly, if you are just doing it to add letters at the end of your name, then you will be in for a rude awakening. So again, im not saying that you should not do it, but that you should think long and hard. It WILL be the most intense 3.5 years of your life. Thats a fact!

Just took the Lsat, it was pretty grueling. Like most people said you have to know what you are getting into, I do not want to practice, but the degree itself is something that has always been a goal of mine. Good luck man.

Back
Top Bottom