I STILL need a new gun...

cb94

Banned
save all the lectures for that other thread.

I want the a new shotgun for the crib and a pistol for my person. Any real advice from gun lovers besides what206 and FAME said about glocks? What would I need to know about heat shields and folding stocks, cause there's this nice +*$ 12 gauge that I'mattracted to. Also, why are Remingtons said to be better than Mossbergs anyway?

What do you need a heat shield for?

Folding stocks are ok, but I prefer solid stocks because they don't wear out as quick.

Remingtons are probably better because they're cheaper and still quality guns. I don't know I like both.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Folding stocks are ok, but I prefer solid stocks because they don't wear out as quick.

Remingtons are probably better because they're cheaper and still quality guns. I don't know I like both.
Didn't think I did... but the salesman was hyping it up...probably cuz I'm young and impressionable in his eyes and he figured he couldsell me on the "coolness factor", pun intended. Cuz I admit, the gun looked thoroughly cool
grin.gif

You should hit up a gun store with a range and shoot a couple of different guns and calibers. With that said all I've shot is a Springfield XD in 9mm, Ilike it a lot and once I turn 21 will be looking to pickup one in 9mm or .45.

Originally Posted by CB94

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Didn't think I did... but the salesman was hyping it up...probably cuz I'm young and impressionable in his eyes and he figured he could sell me on the "coolness factor", pun intended. Cuz I admit, the gun looked thoroughly cool
grin.gif
The only firearm I've ever used a heat shield on was my M-249 while I was in the Army, and it's full auto. You needed a heat shield onthat because you can turn the barrel red on it
laugh.gif

On a shotty, you'd need to put a lot of rounds through it quickly to heat it up that bad. I'd suggest that you not get one to start out with, and thenif you find that you need one order it. Most guns are pretty customizable.

^Thanks man...

Question, what type of loading mechanisms are best? I've never used one of those Elmer Fudd looking joints. They seem like they'd require lessmaintenance since the rounds load right into the chamber thingy which would mean less moving parts, right? All I know is that my Moss had 5+1 capacity and itloaded right under the trigger.

You just wanna look cool with your gun...you gangster.

Gary, IN is no place to want a weapon. Shame on you and your scenarios of Bob. You should've snitched on Bob.

Coward! You have no hands as well.

^Thanks man...

Question, what type of loading mechanisms are best? I've never used one of those Elmer Fudd looking joints. They seem like they'd require less maintenance since the rounds load right into the chamber thingy which would mean less moving parts, right? All I know is that my Moss had 5+1 capacity and it loaded right under the trigger.
By Elmer Fudd looking joints you mean a break apart? If so yes, they are insanely easy to maintain and clean. The down side to them is you onlyhave the option of a single shot, or two shots (ie single or double barrel).
Break aparts are my shotgun of choice, its what I use to use in competitive clay pigeon shooting and hunting (deer using a slug).

Sig Sauer P229 Equinox for the personal...my boy got one that he paid a grip for but its
pimp.gif
and very relaible

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

You just wanna look cool with your gun...you gangster.

Gary, IN is no place to want a weapon. Shame on you and your scenarios of Bob. You should've snitched on Bob.

Coward! You have no hands as well.
laugh.gif
...shut up P..

Heat shields are not nesscary unless you plan to cap off 10+ rounds rapidly through your shotgun. the heat shield is there to help protect you burning yourhand on the barrel. most heat shields on shotguns are just for show and the intimidation factor, i have one on my gun just to piss off the liberals and to awemy friends. only once have i burned my thumb on a shotguns barrel, and that was after shooting 200rds out of it.

i dont really care for pistols grips or folding stocks. 1. recoil is a b^%&h, pistol grips are a pain to shoot especially with some heavy defense loads,its hard to hit anything with it unless your target is 4ft or closer. not a fan of folding stocks either, most of them are junk. unless you live in a verycramped home with narrow hallways i dont see a reason not to have a shotgun outfitted with a standard butt-stock with an 18" barrel. make it a 6, 7, 8capacity loaded with some 2.75" 00 buck, you have a mighty fine home-defense gun.

i prefer remington 870's to mossberg 500/590's. remington receivers are steel, mossberg's are aluminum but both will out last you. the 870'soverall fit, finish, and action is nicer and smoother than the mossbergs. some people complain about the 870's safety button location so close to thetrigger and prefer mossbergs safety location instead. remingtons are more expensive than mossbergs. unless you have personally preferences you cany go wrongwith either one.

Sounds like you don't want my opinion but I'll share anyway because I have yet to see many NTer's that knows what I know on the topic. Seattle206being about the only acception.

remingtons and Mossbergs are both top notch, some Mossbergs have plastic parts inside, some people don't like that. One group that has no issue with it isthe U.S. Military who use both, another group is Police departments all over the U.S. The NYPD recently adopted the Moss 590 which is a great scatter gun. Ihave owned a number of Mossbergs, the 500 being the most common. You really can't go wrong with a Mossberg or a Remy. remember that a shotgun is in essencea tube for the pellets to come out of. Since they have no rifling there is very little in the way of performance superiority from one to the next. I suggestnot getting a gun that can't accept a full 3" magnum load though, and make sure you can shoot slugs. You want all the options you can have. I have noproblem with folding stocks. I have owned a few, although I prefer a real stock since it does protect the arm a bit better, and balance the gun better and Idon't need to pack it so the fact that it is a bit longer is okay with me. I like a shorter barrel since my gauge is for home protection and I just want tobe able to physically maneuver around my home with it. As far as a heat sheild, I don't need one. They look cool, and if I got one it would really be abouthow the anti gun nuts love to pick on heat sheilds not cause I need one.

As far s your hand gun choice. Will you carry? How big are you? What are your needs? I love glock, not cause they are cool but because they are superior tomost guns out there. I have owned other guns, and can certainly recomment great options not made by glock. I just feel the best option is often a polymerframed gun out of Austria, by way of Smyrna.

Originally Posted by Seattle206

Heat shields are not nesscary unless you plan to cap off 10+ rounds rapidly through your shotgun. the heat shield is there to help protect you burning your hand on the barrel. most heat shields on shotguns are just for show and the intimidation factor, i have one on my gun just to piss off the liberals and to awe my friends. only once have i burned my thumb on a shotguns barrel, and that was after shooting 200rds out of it.

i dont really care for pistols grips or folding stocks. 1. recoil is a b^%&h, pistol grips are a pain to shoot especially with some heavy defense loads, its hard to hit anything with it unless your target is 4ft or closer. not a fan of folding stocks either, most of them are junk. unless you live in a very cramped home with narrow hallways i dont see a reason not to have a shotgun outfitted with a standard butt-stock with an 18" barrel. make it a 6, 7, 8 capacity loaded with some 2.75" 00 buck, you have a mighty fine home-defense gun.

i prefer remington 870's to mossberg 500/590's. remington receivers are steel, mossberg's are aluminum but both will out last you. the 870's overall fit, finish, and action is nicer and smoother than the mossbergs. some people complain about the 870's safety button location so close to the trigger and prefer mossbergs safety location instead. remingtons are more expensive than mossbergs. unless you have personally preferences you can go wrong with either one.
This is the type of stuff I copy to Micro-Word and study. Thank you sir
pimp.gif
. I need to up my knowledge over the nnext 8 months before I make apurchase. And I do want your advice FAME... I just thought you had said all you were gonna say.

Originally Posted by BIG FAME ONE

Sounds like you don't want my opinion but I'll share anyway because I have yet to see many NTer's that knows what I know on the topic. Seattle206 being about the only acception.

remingtons and Mossbergs are both top notch, some Mossbergs have plastic parts inside, some people don't like that. One group that has no issue with it is the U.S. Military who use both, another group is Police departments all over the U.S. The NYPD recently adopted the Moss 590 which is a great scatter gun. I have owned a number of Mossbergs, the 500 being the most common. You really can't go wrong with a Mossberg or a Remy. remember that a shotgun is in essence a tube for the pellets to come out of. Since they have no rifling there is very little in the way of performance superiority from one to the next. I suggest not getting a gun that can't accept a full 3" magnum load though, and make sure you can shoot slugs. You want all the options you can have. I have no problem with folding stocks. I have owned a few, although I prefer a real stock since it does protect the arm a bit better, and balance the gun better and I don't need to pack it so the fact that it is a bit longer is okay with me. I like a shorter barrel since my gauge is for home protection and I just want to be able to physically maneuver around my home with it. As far as a heat sheild, I don't need one. They look cool, and if I got one it would really be about how the anti gun nuts love to pick on heat sheilds not cause I need one.

As far s your hand gun choice. Will you carry? How big are you? What are your needs? I love glock, not cause they are cool but because they are superior to most guns out there. I have owned other guns, and can certainly recomment great options not made by glock. I just feel the best option is often a polymer framed gun out of Austria, by way of Smyrna.

Noted.
pimp.gif

I'm 5'8'' or so... a solid 190lb. I just want a side arm that I can carry infrequently or keep under my car seat just in case. I'm one ofthose guys that thinks every man should own a knife, a lighter, a wrench, and a gun.

there is no perfect handgun, nobody can just flatly recommend you a handgun with out knowing your needs and attributes, and if they claim they can they are notworth talking to in the first place as they are a moron.

Will you carry?
Will you shoot it at ranges etc?
Whats your size? Tall, Short, Fat, skinny, big hands etc?
Will you get a carry permit?
Whats your price range?
How comfortable are you with the workings of a modern firearm?
Intend to take any classes?
Will the gun be JUST for you?
etc.

Sounds like you don't want my opinion but I'll share anyway because I have yet to see many NTer's that knows what I know on the topic. Seattle206 being about the only acception.

remingtons and Mossbergs are both top notch, some Mossbergs have plastic parts inside, some people don't like that. One group that has no issue with it is the U.S. Military who use both, another group is Police departments all over the U.S. The NYPD recently adopted the Moss 590 which is a great scatter gun. I have owned a number of Mossbergs, the 500 being the most common. You really can't go wrong with a Mossberg or a Remy. remember that a shotgun is in essence a tube for the pellets to come out of. Since they have no rifling there is very little in the way of performance superiority from one to the next. I suggest not getting a gun that can't accept a full 3" magnum load though, and make sure you can shoot slugs. You want all the options you can have. I have no problem with folding stocks. I have owned a few, although I prefer a real stock since it does protect the arm a bit better, and balance the gun better and I don't need to pack it so the fact that it is a bit longer is okay with me. I like a shorter barrel since my gauge is for home protection and I just want to be able to physically maneuver around my home with it. As far as a heat sheild, I don't need one. They look cool, and if I got one it would really be about how the anti gun nuts love to pick on heat sheilds not cause I need one.

As far s your hand gun choice. Will you carry? How big are you? What are your needs? I love glock, not cause they are cool but because they are superior to most guns out there. I have owned other guns, and can certainly recomment great options not made by glock. I just feel the best option is often a polymer framed gun out of Austria, by way of Smyrna.

Noted.
pimp.gif

I'm 5'8'' or so... a solid 190lb. I just want a side arm that I can carry infrequently or keep under my car seat just in case. I'm one of those guys that thinks every man should own a knife, a lighter, a wrench, and a gun.
If you just want a self-defense gun in your car may I suggest the .38 special. It's small, compact, carries a decent punch with a smallamount of recoil, and is easy to store inside of a car. I don't know about gun laws in your state, but here in Oregon the legal minimal size for shotgunbarrel length is still pretty long making it hard to keep in a vehicle.

there is no perfect handgun, nobody can just flatly recommend you a handgun with out knowing your needs and attributes, and if they claim they can they are not worth talking to in the first place as they are a moron.

Will you carry?
Whats your price range?
etc.
This is also very true, the best you can do is hit up one of those shooting ranges that has a bunch of guns you can sign out and find what youlike.

there is no perfect handgun, nobody can just flatly recommend you a handgun with out knowing your needs and attributes, and if they claim they can they are not worth talking to in the first place as they are a moron.

Will you carry?
Whats your price range?
etc.
Will you carry? Infrequently, but yes.

Will you shoot it at ranges etc? Practice makes perfect

Whats your size? Tall, Short, Fat, skinny, big hands etc? I'm kiiiiinda stocky. It's like I'm fat but not reallybecause I have broad shoulders and a pretty big frame for a 5'8'' guy.. I can almost palm a basketball whatever that means..

Will you get a carry permit? Eventually..
nerd.gif

Whats your price range? You tell me... I haven't really decided. I guess about half a stack

How comfortable are you with the workings of a modern firearm? Meh... I don't really know. I'm familiar I guess butI'm not trained.

Intend to take any classes? Maybe...

Will the gun be JUST for you? NOBODY touches MY gun.. I learned that the hard way.

what else?

Back
Top Bottom