Hurricane Irma, FL Nters We May Be Next

#Irma is now covering all of Georgia
DJcqEneUEAEfmEm.jpg

Didn't lose any electricity while the hurricane passed. Only lost cable, internet, and phone service yesterday like at 3pm. Gonna head out in a bit to go pickup my car in the garage I left it in.

Is it worth it taking a trip to Miami? The city is slow now I assume. I might go this Thursday solo.
yes, I don't think there was much damage done and not much clean up to do. City should be up and running by then.

Just woke up and walked around for about an hour and a half, few trees down but not flooding and nothing to worry about except cleaning up some branches! Hope everyone faired as well as I did. Family in clearwater saying that everything over there is okay as well.

Spoke to my moms in Atlanta, no problems right now. They still got power but that could change of course.

I say stay off the major roads for a day or two. I did some driving around and there's crap/debris everywhere. Some parts of the roads are inundated with rainwater, even the road into my neighborhood.

Incredibly my local Publix and gas station are open. I live in boogie *** area man

Spite to my dad and uncle and they both are good. Just lost some power, have debris on the ground but that's about it. My uncle says there's a curfew till 6 so he won't be able to go home till then. Hope everyone and their loved ones have a similar outcome

So it sounds like things didn't get as bad as thought in FL? Thank goodness the forecasters were wrong. Goes to show you just how unpredictable weather really is.

It's not really that forecasters were wrong; the takeaway is that people need to understand that the more days away you are from a hurricane impact, the more speculative and uncertain the forecasts will be. The closer we got to landfall, the more accurate the forecasting and models became. Some models early on were actually very spot on, including the Euro.

I believe forecasters and authorities were 100% justified in emphazising how cataclysmic this could have been for Florida. I think this massive degree of preparation and caution actually helped to save lives.

Do not forget that the Keys are in very bad shape right now. Nevermind Barbuda and the Virgin Islands.

I hope all the NTfam is ok and minimally affected.

Just got done cleaning the yard and taking the shutters off. No damage to the house. Still no power or 4g, cell service has been dodgy but good otherwise.

I'm seeing so many different paths/locations. NOAA has it as past me (Tallahassee) others have it as almost to me....

It's not really that forecasters were wrong; the takeaway is that people need to understand that the more days away you are from a hurricane impact, the more speculative and uncertain the forecasts will be. The closer we got to landfall, the more accurate the forecasting and models became. Some models early on were actually very spot on, including the Euro.

I believe forecasters and authorities were 100% justified in emphazising how cataclysmic this could have been for Florida. I think this massive degree of preparation and caution actually helped to save lives.

Do not forget that the Keys are in very bad shape right now. Nevermind Barbuda and the Virgin Islands.

I thought the Euro had it hitting the east coast and was way wrong, no?

Lost power for a little bit last night, but it came back on later on in the night. Couple of trees down and a bunch of people without light, but looks like Palm Beach County is getting back to normal. Wawa's and Publix are opening.

I feel like this storm really opened a lot of eyes about the way weather and news is reported. Like you said, a five or three day prediction really means nothing. But even then, as the storm was headed up the middle of the state last night, reporters kept saying "okay, at any moment it is going to pivot and head west," and it never happened. My friends in Orlando ended up getting it way worse than I did in Tampa. My island over the on the East Coast, who wasn't projected to get anything all day Sunday, got it worse than any of the areas. I would say they were right in the potential effects of the storm, but totally off when it came to where and when it would hit.

How many people evacuated into the storm as a result of this?

Additionally, I feel like little things were blown way out of proportion. There was a video going around Facebook yesterday where a reporter was holding a palm branch talking about "giant pieces of debris" blowing around. Great example of the stupidity and panick that they perpetuate.

Just got back home from picking my car up. Drove around some parts of the city and it's mostly just damage from the wind. Lots of fallen trees and branches all over the streets. US1 is nearly undrivable since most trees snapped and fell on all the lanes. Police have blocked off the left turn lanes on major intersections. There were 2 accidents that I seen going to and coming back home. Seems like all grocery stores are back open and running, some buffet-style restaurants are open but they got lines stretching way past their building.

Back
Top Bottom