HP Touchpad for $99/$149

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

Originally Posted by gunitg23

Case recommendations ?

HP Folio case for the touchpad, it's on sale as well
Yeah I'm looking for a case/stand but the HP cases are sold out at most places. Anywhere online you've seen around $25?

Originally Posted by sole searchin

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

Originally Posted by gunitg23

Case recommendations ?

HP Folio case for the touchpad, it's on sale as well
Yeah I'm looking for a case/stand but the HP cases are sold out at most places. Anywhere online you've seen around $25?
Amazon has them for $30 Sheesh, 35 is the cheapest on Amazon. Still not bad

Damn I should have hopped on this earlier. I'm going to hit some Office Depot's tomorrow and try my luck
30t6p3b.gif

got my ream of paper from HP this saturday

now i'm just waiting for my touchpad from HP to be delivered later this week

with no interesting apps/games.. Kinda bored of my TP 
ohwell.gif
 still satisfied for $100

Originally Posted by AiRjOrDaN1217

anybody know how to use the camera on this thing? I tried using it on chatroulette but it didnt work
It didn't come with a pre-installed camera app, which is somewhat ridiculous. I was able to use and try it out through Skype and although it is only 1.3MP, the resolution was still okay. There was actually a free 6-pack app giveaway a few days ago that included a camera app(Camera for TouchPad) along with a few other miscellaneous apps...

yeah I think its ridiculous it didn't come with a camera app, decent media player etc. , and they wanted 400 for this. Been having fun tinkering with homebrew apps and hacking though, overlocked with new f4c kernel, stable so far at 1.8, both cores.

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

yeah I think its ridiculous it didn't come with a camera app, decent media player etc. , and they wanted 400 for this. Been having fun tinkering with homebrew apps and hacking though, overlocked with new f4c kernel, stable so far at 1.8, both cores.

How is the battery life on 1.83 ghz

Originally Posted by sniper

Originally Posted by AiRjOrDaN1217

anybody know how to use the camera on this thing? I tried using it on chatroulette but it didnt work
It didn't come with a pre-installed camera app, which is somewhat ridiculous. I was able to use and try it out through Skype and although it is only 1.3MP, the resolution was still okay. There was actually a free 6-pack app giveaway a few days ago that included a camera app(Camera for TouchPad) along with a few other miscellaneous apps...
I tried to get all 6 apps but there was a limit to how many times the code could be used and eventually they didn't work. I got this specifically for the android port. Cool device but I see why it crashed and burned. There's really nothing to do with it

for those like myself, who are somewhat technically illiterate with regards to stuff like this, can you "dumb down" how to make the TP more effective and or speedy?  I am perfectly ok with how it performs, but it would seem if its easy to improve anything/everything with regards to performance, then maybe it is worth doing?

Also, is it possible for it to run firefox or a different webbrowser?  Thanks in advance. If you prefer to PM that is fine.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Answering Your Questions…Part 2[/h2]
by
admin.gif
Mark_Budgell4 hours ago - last edited 2 hours ago

We have been surprised by the enthusiastic response to the TouchPad price drop, and we understand that many customers were disappointed that HP and our retail partners ran out of supply so fast.

I tried to answer some questions that were generated by this sale in an earlier post. Today, I have posted an updated FAQ based on questions you’ve asked.

I also want everyone to know that that we’ve pulled down the “notify me

I read that a lot of people are saying to skip the HP folio and go with another brand.

Also, I have a feeling that HP will NOT be putting up more for sale. Something seems just a little off ...

Originally Posted by Bryscooplaygrifhold

for those like myself, who are somewhat technically illiterate with regards to stuff like this, can you "dumb down" how to make the TP more effective and or speedy?  I am perfectly ok with how it performs, but it would seem if its easy to improve anything/everything with regards to performance, then maybe it is worth doing?

Also, is it possible for it to run firefox or a different webbrowser?  Thanks in advance. If you prefer to PM that is fine.

Follow these steps to the T
video

battery life is still decent.

Or i'll try to break it down here:

*First don't be afraid of bricking, hp provides a "web os doctor" which brings it back to working condition, so if you mess, you can always run that.

1.First thing is make sure you get the 3.0.2 update, which in itself has speed improvements, just go to Launcher>settings>system updates.  If you're like me and had numerous tries with no luck, just download the Web os doctor for 3.0.2, follow the instructions and update. Keep on pc for issues.

download, save to pc, do not run.

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p302r0d08012011/wifip302rod/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

2. Connect touchpad to pc, make sure it's not in usb drive mode. (choose close/cancel instead of usb drive)

3.  On the touchpad in that just type search bar on the main screen, type in webos20090606.  This brings you to developer mode options, turn it on.  It'll say something about password, leave blank, or web os doctor will reset touchpad.

4. Now on your pc, download and install HP webOS Quick Install (make sure you have the latest java installed).

HP webOS Quick Install

After install it should install drivers for the touchpad, and show up in Quick Install.  Again make sure it is not in usb drive mode.  If it doesn't work, reboot pc, try again.

5. Now click on the globe with the arrows around it, it will bring up a bunch of apps, scroll through list and look for Preware, install.

6. On your touchpad, go to launcher, download, you should now have preware.  Open preware, click on the preware tab at top left, go to manage feeds.  Scroll all the way to the bottom till you see new feed.  Now you're going to add a few different feeds. There are two sections, name and url it's important that you correctly enter both the name and url.

1st feed:

Name: webos-testing-all

URL: http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/all

hit add feed, it will give you a disclaimer, choose wisely. there's a compressed option each time, leave it at on. 

2nd feed:

Name: webos-testing-armv7

URL: http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7

again hit add feed, choose wisely.

Now go back into preware main options, go to list of everything, scroll or search for govnah, install.  It should tell you to restart, hit ok.  If not, hit the power button and shutdown, power back on.

7.  Once touchpad is back on, open preware again, back to preware tab at top left, manage feeds, scroll down to new feed.

Name: webos-kernels-testing

URL: http://preware.is.awesome.com/

these are experimental kernels, so you must agree to these rules to use them.  (nothing wild, just read and decide)

Testing Feeds - WebOS Interals

Before anything else, restart the touchpad again.

8. Once the touchpad is on again, open preware, go back to the preware tab at top left corner, hit update feeds.  If anything fails, you didn't type the feed in correctly, start that part of it over plehboii.

9.  After feeds are done updating, go to list of everything, for the 1.9 overclock, find F15C Eagle (Touchpad), install, restart.  For the 1.8 overclock, steady, both cores, find F4 Phantom (Touchpad), install reboot.  I like the second one better, seems like less to do.

10.  After the reboot, you are now overclocked, open govnah to view settings, you may see the readings fluctuate and go low, just means you're not doing ++**.  I haven't really messed with the settings in govnah, i'm waiting on that write up because i'm not really sure what the best settings are.  Only thing i've done is (using F4 phantom) click on profile>advanced settings>cpu frequency and set max freq. to 1.8, then apply settings, save profile.

Now in preware there's a ton of patches that don't just speed up, but are downright nifty ie advanced restart options, hulu fix etc.

copied from link:

Cool so you have an overclocked HP Touchpad! Awesome job! Now here are a few other things you can do to really make it fly! 

You can find these using the PREWARE application. Check under "List Everything"
  • Ad Blocker Helps remove ads from your web browser. *warning, do not download more than 1 Ad-Blocker.
  • Remove Tap Ripple - Removes the tap ripple. Actually speeds up your Touchpad a little.
  • Increase Touchpad Volume - This can boost your Touchpad's volume a bit. NOT RECOMMENDED if you wish to retain speaker quality and longevity.
  • Advanced Reset Options - Gives you more reset options like "Restart Luna"
  • Faster Card Animations Hyper Version - Greatly increases the animations of your home screen cards. It makes a huge difference!
  • Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10 - Makes touch more smooth, such as scrolling
  • Muffle System Logging - The HP Touchpad, stock, logs pretty much everything. It logs so much information that it actually slows down your touchpad. This helps stop that and increases performance!
  • Remove Dropped Packet Logging - As name implies...
  • Unset Cfq IO Scheduler - I don't know the specifics behind it, but it definately helps 
    redface.gif
    tongue.gif
  • Unthrottle Download Manager - HP download manager throttles download speeds. This removes it!
  • Private Browsing - As name implies, optional...

My "unable to process" message on HP SMB order changed to Credit Approved. It says it will be shipping Fedex 2 Day. ( I never chose any shipping options). I've been charged for the whole thing so it should be shipping soon.

I guess if you really did order by 4am on Aug 22 you will be getting your touchpad. HP plans to complete the backorders before they put up more for sale on their website.

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Quickoffice update brings document editing to the TouchPad[/h4]
By Dante Cesa posted Aug 29th 2011 5:33PM

Well, we knew it was coming, and folks, it's finally here -- the promised update to Quickoffice HD that brings document editing to HP's webOS slate. Available gratis for TouchPad owners, the overhaul enables text formatting in Word docs, in addition to enabling cell and function editing in Excel spreadsheets. Unfortunately, editing of Powerpoint presentations is sorely lacking, but that's nothing another update can't cure, right?

Link

eyes.gif
would be nice to try out, you know, if I had one.
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom