how would u guys react...

aight so i never makes posts like this (mostly I just post about my music or basketball) but I'm actually curious what some of you guys would have done in this situation.
So I'm at my 11 year old lil bro's AAU basketball tourny today, he's the starting SF and one of the teams best players. His team is 2nd ranked in New England and placed for nationals this year, they are pretty good. Anyway, this is actually my lil bro's first year playin AAU and he's done a good transition into the life of constant out of state tourny's, making sure he's doing well in school and makin friends on the team.

Anyway, so today I'm standin near him and his teammates and he's messin around w/ them and one of them calls him Osama. Now... my bro is the only indian kid on his team, everybody on the team but him is black. My bro didn't take it offensively, he said shut up and punched his teammate and they play faught, just messin around bein kids. He didn't seem offended, his friends didnt seem like they were trying to hurt his feelings or anything, but when I heard it i got pissed off as hell.

Now I'm kinda in a situation where me and my bro's dad died 5 years ago and i kinda feel like a father to him... so I feel extra protective... what would u guys do in this situation? I feel like clearly it's not right.. but i dont know if i'm bein overly sensitive

aight so i never makes posts like this (mostly I just post about my music or basketball) but I'm actually curious what some of you guys would have done in this situation.
So I'm at my 11 year old lil bro's AAU basketball tourny today, he's the starting SF and one of the teams best players. His team is 2nd ranked in New England and placed for nationals this year, they are pretty good. Anyway, this is actually my lil bro's first year playin AAU and he's done a good transition into the life of constant out of state tourny's, making sure he's doing well in school and makin friends on the team.

Anyway, so today I'm standin near him and his teammates and he's messin around w/ them and one of them calls him Osama. Now... my bro is the only indian kid on his team, everybody on the team but him is black. My bro didn't take it offensively, he said shut up and punched his teammate and they play faught, just messin around bein kids. He didn't seem offended, his friends didnt seem like they were trying to hurt his feelings or anything, but when I heard it i got pissed off as hell.

Now I'm kinda in a situation where me and my bro's dad died 5 years ago and i kinda feel like a father to him... so I feel extra protective... what would u guys do in this situation? I feel like clearly it's not right.. but i dont know if i'm bein overly sensitive

It's just kids being kids. They are very immature. I'm sure when we were 11 dumb comments were made.

You can always ask your bro about it. See what he says.

It's just kids being kids. They are very immature. I'm sure when we were 11 dumb comments were made.

You can always ask your bro about it. See what he says.

I understand where you're coming from but like people have said before me, kids will be kids. At least they comfortable with each other I guess.

I understand where you're coming from but like people have said before me, kids will be kids. At least they comfortable with each other I guess.

Disguised thread bragging about ur brother being good in basketball? 
grin.gif
naw just kidding, but I wouldnt take it as anything, kids just say it as a joke and don't know the effects. Its kids being kids

grin.gif
naw just kidding, but I wouldnt take it as anything, kids just say it as a joke and don't know the effects. Its kids being kids

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

grin.gif

i guess i coulda left out some of the details... proud big brother i guess lol
but yeah, i mean after reading it i agree w/ everyone, i guess just at the time i was surprised 

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

grin.gif

i guess i coulda left out some of the details... proud big brother i guess lol
but yeah, i mean after reading it i agree w/ everyone, i guess just at the time i was surprised 

At that age kids dont put much thought into what they say, I'm sure it wasn't meant to be offensive. They were only born a year before 9/11, so most likely that whole situation with Osama isn't as important as it might be to you(assuming your considerably older then them)

At that age kids dont put much thought into what they say, I'm sure it wasn't meant to be offensive. They were only born a year before 9/11, so most likely that whole situation with Osama isn't as important as it might be to you(assuming your considerably older then them)

Back
Top Bottom