How long can you see yourself listening to Hip Hop?

I ask this because I've just been listening to a bunch of a stuff that I've been late on, and I came to the conclusion that I think I'm outgrowing rap. Not long ago, I'd be the one who would always be on those sites that had new music up everyday, making sure I didn't miss anything potentially good, but it just seems like one day, I didn't care for this music as much anymore. There's good music out there obviously, but it just doesn't age well anymore for me. Maybe it's because I've been listening to other genres of music, mainly rock, punk to be exact. But the question I wanna ask is do you all see yourself listening to Hip Hop down the line?

Last edited:
I do too, but nothing gets me hype anymore . It's like I'll listen to whoever's album is out, and see who everyone is talking about, and it just doesnt do anything for me. Then the cycle will repeat.

Last edited:
I listen to hip hop nation/shade 45 everyday. When I get tired of it I turn to that EDM channel.

For some reason when ppl call rap music hip hop I take them less serious on the subject. Don't know why.

I personally don't see how anyone can get tired of rap with sooo much music out there. My take when I see these types of threads are you probably were never really into it to begin with.

I've been listening to rap(since hip Hop is not good enough to say) since I was young as hell. First song I ever learned was Boyz N Da Hood by NWA. I've listened to the greats and still listen to them to this day. How am I not really into it?

Never, still plenty of great rap music from my time as youth and before and still a good amount of good rap music now. I mean Kendrick just dropped GKMC last year and that's an album I've been steadily bumping since, definitely an album I see myself listening to forever. Plus their will always be new rap artists to discover, whether it be from the past, present, or in the future.

Also if your "outgrowing" rap and now getting into punk, won't it just be a matter of time before you outgrow punk? Punk is very similar to rap in that it's usually seen as a younger person's kind of music and culture.

Last edited:
i very well might listen to rap forever, if you really love the artform you wouldn't be bored of it. maybe the crap that's out today is why you got bored of it. been listening since i was a kid, the songs i listened to in the past are embedded in me for life.

For some reason when ppl call rap music hip hop I take them less serious on the subject. Don't know why.

I personally don't see how anyone can get tired of rap with sooo much music out there. My take when I see these types of threads are you probably were never really into it to begin with.
You seem like a guy who believes he knows a lot about the issue of Rap & Hip hop. But please spare us. First off, I disagree with your first sentence and its entirety. The difference between Rap & Hip hop is far from clear and is open to various peoples interpretation. You saying that you take him less serious about the issue because he might have a different interpretation of the two is absurd, and quite comical. From my perspective.

I honestly like both of the genres of music. I listen to Big L, Tupac Shakur, Rakim & Eric B, Notorious B.I.G, Big Pun, Wu-Tang Clan, etc. on a daily basis. But, I also like to listen to Lauryn Hill, Bob Marley, Erykah Badu, and Marvin Gaye too. As well as Rock, Punk, Heavy Metal, and Deathcore.

I am very diverse with my choices of music. I have an ear for music, and if I like the sound, I'll listen to it. I probably won't ever stop listening to Rap & Hip hop though. I grew up listening to the genre, and there has been months I haven't listened to it. But, just because you've grown to like other music, and have become more diverse about what you like to listen to doesn't mean you "were never really into it to begin with."

i very well might listen to rap forever, if you really love the artform you wouldn't be bored of it. maybe the crap that's out today is why you got bored of it. been listening since i was a kid, the songs i listened to in the past are embedded in me for life.

Never, still plenty of great rap music from my time as youth and before and still a good amount of good rap music now. I mean Kendrick just dropped GKMC last year and that's an album I've been steadily bumping since, definitely an album I see myself listening to forever. Plus their will always be new rap artists to discover, whether it be from the past, present, or in the future.

Also if your "outgrowing" rap and now getting into punk, won't it just be a matter of time before you outgrow punk? Punk is very similar to rap in that it's usually seen as a younger person's kind of music and culture.

Nah. I've been playing a couple songs from the first punk albums I first got into damn near everyday since I heard them. Punk gives me a different level of excitement than rap ever did. Even inspired me to want to play bass. And I disagree about the younger person's kind of music thing.

Last edited:
You seem like a guy who believes he knows a lot about the issue of Rap & Hip hop. But please spare us. First off, I disagree with your first sentence and its entirety. The difference between Rap & Hip hop is far from clear and is open to various peoples interpretation. You saying that you take him less serious about the issue because he might have a different interpretation of the two is absurd, and quite comical. From my perspective.

I honestly like both of the genres of music. I listen to Big L, Tupac Shakur, Rakim & Eric B, Notorious B.I.G, Big Pun, Wu-Tang Clan, etc. on a daily basis. But, I also like to listen to Lauryn Hill, Bob Marley, Erykah Badu, and Marvin Gaye too. As well as Rock, Punk, Heavy Metal, and Deathcore.

I am very diverse with my choices of music. I have an ear for music, and if I like the sound, I'll listen to it. I probably won't ever stop listening to Rap & Hip hop though. I grew up listening to the genre, and there has been months I haven't listened to it. But, just because you've grown to like other music, and have become more diverse about what you like to listen to doesn't mean you "were never really into it to begin with."

Strong first post bro. And it seems people are taking what I said the wrong way. There are still songs / albums / artists I will listen to and maybe newer artists that comes around, and it's not as if I'm going to just completely stop listening to the genre as a whole. I was just saying that it just isn't doing it for me like it used to.

Last edited:
Its the only genre of music I have ever listened to and that will never change. Its rap or no music at all for me and no music at all seems crazy.

I'm pretty sure there are SOME who don't listen to music at all tho.

To the death OP...I love it so much I'm stuck in the 90's right now. Not even listening to the new stuff out. 

Back
Top Bottom