How long can you see yourself listening to Hip Hop?

For some reason when ppl call rap music hip hop I take them less serious on the subject. Don't know why.

I personally don't see how anyone can get tired of rap with sooo much music out there. My take when I see these types of threads are you probably were never really into it to begin with.

Do you like when people say "Rap is something you do..Hip-Hop is something you liiiive"?

That was my signature on RapNetwork when I was 17 :smh: :lol:

Rap and Hip-Hop are the same thing to me and I'll likely listen forever.

Last edited:
Hopefully forever but realistically I cant see myself taking rap seriously when Im 50. Can you? Do you know anyone whose over 45 and actively listens to rap?
Same goes for video games. Can you envision yourself playing games when youre 60?
People outgrow stuff, its rare that you stay with a habit your whole life.

Hopefully forever but realistically I cant see myself taking rap seriously when Im 50. Can you? Do you know anyone whose over 45 and actively listens to rap?
Same goes for video games. Can you envision yourself playing games when youre 60?

Rap is a relatively new genre of music and people tend to listen to the music from their youth so that's why you won't see many elderly rap fans (though they do exist)

Rap is a relatively new genre of music and people tend to listen to the music from their youth so that's why you won't see many elderly rap fans (though they do exist)

Good point sir. I didnt think of that.
So I guess its possible that everyone that listens to rap now and was born after 1980 will listen to rap forever.
Same goes for video games.

My uncles are in there early to late 40s and they love rap, they don't **** with the newer stuff but thats really goes for any genre. I know heavy metal fans who don't mess with newer stuff.

What ever you listened too from 12-25 is the era you will be stuck on. My mother loves RnB but really from when she was around those ages.

HIP HOP/RAP will never grow old its the soundtrack to my very existence. Nothing will ever personify my experiences in life better than rap music.

Rap and Hip Hop are the same damn thing. Rap IS hip hop.

I hate when people try to separate the two...

"Qtip is hip hop, but Meek Mill is a rapper"

Like c'mon son... What? They both do the same damn thing.

Last edited:
I always come back. No matter what.

"No matter which way you go and turn, you always end up at home"

Its the only genre of music I have ever listened to and that will never change. Its rap or no music at all for me and no music at all seems crazy.
Aren't you a Drake fan?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I will definitely be playing video games forever. Carpal tunnel is in my future
this.

I have a uncle that's around 55 that still games, dude was the one to first buy me a gamecube and introduce me to zelda 
smokin.gif

I've lost a lot of interest in the new stuff, as there are only a handful of GOOD new cats out there. But I still listen to hip-hop and I often revisit the old stuff ('Kast, Quik, Gangstarr, Mobb, etc.).

Since I've become a father, my listening habits have changed too. I only really listen to rap when I'm in the car alone or on the headphones at night. Can't have the kids dropping F-bombs because they heard MC Whomever say it on dad's stereo.

I've lost a lot of interest in the new stuff, as there are only a handful of GOOD new cats out there. But I still listen to hip-hop and I often revisit the old stuff ('Kast, Quik, Gangstarr, Mobb, etc.).

Since I've become a father, my listening habits have changed too. I only really listen to rap when I'm in the car alone or on the headphones at night. Can't have the kids dropping F-bombs because they heard MC Whomever say it on dad's stereo.

Yeah, thats real right there.

I'll be right there with you soon... Trying to make playlists that are carseat friendly :lol:

And that was part of what I was thinking when I decided to write this. It's like I don't really know anyone over that age that listens to this music actively. There's bands that's been playing damn near for 30 - 50 years and still have an active audience, young and old. I know it's still a young genre but I really can't picture people in their 50's or older listening to rap like that.

Last edited:

I feel you (even tho those two DO NOT do the same damn thing) but I think what dude was getting at is that Rap is the musical element of hip-hop, just like graffiti is the art form and breaking the dance element of hip-hip. Hip-Hop is a culture. Rap is music. Personally I refer to rap as hip-hop and vice versa.

Oh... And until the day I die.

Last edited:

I feel you (even tho those two DO NOT do the same damn thing) but I think what dude was getting at is that Rap is the musical element of hip-hop, just like graffiti is the art form and breaking the dance element of hip-hip. Hip-Hop is a culture. Rap is music. Personally I refer to rap as hip-hop and vice versa.

Oh... And until the day I die.

Exactly though. That's exactly how I think of it

I'm listening to rap until the day I die :pimp:

Honestly it's impossible to get tired or bored of rap with the power of the internet imo

There's so many different artist out there making good music who prolly won't ever blow or get any type of major internet recognition

This not really specific to you but I think everybody should go out and search for music on their own instead of relying solely on what's being "pushed" by blogs etc.

I'm listening to rap until the day I die
pimp.gif

Honestly it's impossible to get tired or bored of rap with the power of the internet imo

There's so many different artist out there making good music who prolly won't ever blow or get any type of major internet recognition

This not really specific to you but I think everybody should go out and search for music on their own instead of relying solely on what's being "pushed" by blogs etc.
That's how I find my music. It's not like I'm going to get it from tv or the radio, so I look at certain sites for new music and whatever. 

Back
Top Bottom