How Do You Feel Comfortable Celebrating the 4th of July If You're Black?

and you're black saying this

tenor.gif
Naw yo ain’t black so that’s to be expected :lol:

Last year during the George Floyd stuff I was hearing and seeing fireworks, along w/ sneaky get togethers despite COVID, and it looked to be that ppl in this Country embraced June 19th like never b4. This year, not so much despite it falling on a Saturday. Furthermore lemme complain about Juneteenth being officially considered a federal holiday & go back to embracing July 4th as my Independence Day. So yeah, it’s mad weird to me.

Really, a lot of y’all just be cap, & mofos came in here all defensive just b/c I asked how & why u celebrate the 4th. I never came at u sideways for celebrating it, but u came at me sideways for not. Tried to “woke” & “cancel culture” me on some Fox News ****, co-signed tokens straight up telling me “I’m the problem” for not kumbaya’n it up w/ racist… and idek what that was, but u can kiss my *** for that. Anyway, hit dogs hollered & dudes moved funny in the light. What’s new?

Last year during the George Floyd stuff I was hearing and seeing fireworks, along w/ sneaky get togethers despite COVID, and it looked to be that ppl in this Country embraced June 19th like never b4. This year, not so much despite it falling on a Saturday. Furthermore lemme complain about Juneteenth being officially considered a federal holiday & go back to embracing July 4th as my Independence Day. So yeah, it’s mad weird to me.

Really, a lot of y’all just be cap, & mofos came in here all defensive just b/c I asked how & why u celebrate the 4th. I never came at u sideways for celebrating it, but u came at me sideways for not. Tried to “woke” & “cancel culture” me on some Fox News ****, co-signed tokens straight up telling me “I’m the problem” for not kumbaya’n it up w/ racist… and idek what that was, but u can kiss my *** for that. Anyway, hit dogs hollered & dudes moved funny in the light. What’s new?

You bored today?

I will say that it feels easier to “celebrate” the 4th again now with Trump out of office. His presidency did a number on dividing this nation. A lot of us weren’t proud to be American under that president. I have some cutoff Jean shorts with an American flag patch on them that I havent worn in a few years for this reason. Sounds weird but I wasn’t comfortable wearing the flag because while he was president it was like if you supported USA or waved an American flag people assume you automatically supported Trump (cutoff Jean shorts don’t exactly help either; kind of a “hick” article of clothing lol). I wore the Jean shorts this year btw.

I feel some people are stuck in this mindset of hating America because of Trump. Obviously there are plenty of reasons historically, for black people especially, to not be proud Americans. Trump just exacerbated the reasons. I doubt this thread pops up under Obama presidency though.
Dawg you’re white. Why are you even giving your perspective?

I have some cutoff Jean shorts with an American flag patch on them that I havent worn in a few years for this reason. Sounds weird but I wasn’t comfortable wearing the flag because while he was president it was like if you supported USA or waved an American flag people assume you automatically supported Trump (cutoff Jean shorts don’t exactly help either; kind of a “hick” article of clothing lol). I wore the Jean shorts this year btw.

No disrespect but do you think people wouldn't STILL think the same thing in 2021?

Legit question.

No disrespect but do you think people wouldn't STILL think the same thing in 2021?

Legit question.

To a degree, yes. But definitely not like before WHILE he was in office. There’s no doubt Trump stained the flag while in office. Which is why I gave the example of my shorts and not wanting to wear them for fear of association of being a Trump supporter. Because while I’m proud to be American for some reasons, I was definitely more ashamed than proud when Trump was sitting. Now I will have to wait at least 4 years (hopefully longer) to wear my **** the president shirt from Supreme again but I’m OK with wearing a small American flag detail on my clothes.

If you look back at 9/11 for example, I remember everyone being pretty patriotic and repping the flag. Just thinking Diplomatic Immunity era and Santana decked out head to toe in American flags. We were United against a foreign enemy, now we are divided domestically against a man whose a hero to half the country and a villain to the other.

So rocking the flag has become taboo to a degree because of Trumps association. And that’s all I’m really commenting on in this thread, because yeah I am white. No disrespect to anyone I’m just stating this observation I’ve had about what the flag symbolizes today.

Genuinely curious how people view the flag vs the holiday. Like the kneel for the anthem movement, is that protest extended to the flag?

Really not sure where you are even coming from talking about disrespect towards MLK or that I'm some obedient dog. I said in the first post they didn't do any racist biscuit BS. But obviously you would.

Since you have no reading comprehension skills here's the breakdown.
1) Black people celebrating holidays with family and friends is good for our culture.
2) The United States didn't invent slavery. It was around long before then. Celebrating the birth of the US isn't the same as celebrating oppression.
3) Continuing to undervalue the power of holidays to bring people together makes you part of the problem. Being pro black is great. It doesn't mean ANTI-WHITE or anti American . This is what I think MLK would have frowned on.

Srs question. Prince Harry renounced his whole crown off the racism in his family. Would you rather America still be under British rule? Would things be better?

hennessy hennessy

Trust me, any black person that sees another person with a USA Flag stitched on their CLOTHES is definitely looking at them as a Trump supporter.

I don't care if it's 2017 or 2021.

If that's the look you are going for, more power to you.

Honestly can’t tell if you’re trolling or not lol. The party I went to was 90% black people and nobody said anything about my shorts. I HIGHLY doubt it was assumed by anyone that I was a trump supporter, maybe I’m wrong. I would not assume that about anyone wearing a flag now but I didn’t feel the same when trump was president so understand where you’re coming from, to an extent.

What about MLB fitteds with the side patch flag? You assume someone is a trump supporter if they wear one? Seems extreme to me.

Just think we need to move on from the American flag being associated with trump at this point. It’s not the same as a MAGA hat.

Honestly can’t tell if you’re trolling or not lol. The party I went to was 90% black people and nobody said anything about my shorts. I HIGHLY doubt it was assumed by anyone that I was a trump supporter, maybe I’m wrong. I would not assume that about anyone wearing a flag now but I didn’t feel the same when trump was president so understand where you’re coming from, to an extent.

What about MLB fitteds with the side patch flag? You assume someone is a trump supporter if they wear one? Seems extreme to me.

Just think we need to move on from the American flag being associated with trump at this point. It’s not the same as a MAGA hat.
Yea I don't play around with this stuff.

Them not SAYING anything to you means nothing.

I am sure they looked at you and thought you were a racist Trump supporter.

No ifs/ands/buts about it.

We live in different worlds man. You can view it as "extreme" but we don't.

"Move on" yea, that's funny.

Holidays don't actually mean anything anyway. With that said I don't get why people 'celebrate' Juneteenth either. I get it and I partake but the actual day in history just emphasizes how ****ed up the whole situation was
What? That’s something nobody should ever forget.

Really not sure where you are even coming from talking about disrespect towards MLK or that I'm some obedient dog. I said in the first post they didn't do any racist biscuit BS. But obviously you would.

1) Black people celebrating holidays with family and friends is good for our culture.
2) The United States didn't invent slavery. It was around long before then. Celebrating the birth of the US isn't the same as celebrating oppression.
3) Continuing to undervalue the power of holidays to bring people together makes you part of the problem. Being pro black is great. It doesn't mean ANTI-WHITE or anti American . This is what I think MLK would have frowned on.

Srs question. Prince Harry renounced his whole crown off the racism in his family. Would you rather America still be under British rule? Would things be better?
1625592312148.gif

Usually when you lose you just get your *** off the court. You’re guy the guy who keeps insisting the last play was a travel

Yea I don't play around with this stuff.

Them not SAYING anything to you means nothing.

I am sure they looked at you and thought you were a racist Trump supporter.

No ifs/ands/buts about it.

We live in different worlds man. You can view it as "extreme" but we don't.

"Move on" yea, that's funny.

Appreciate you sharing your POV. Interesting opinions you offer, but not fact. You passing your opinion on to black people as a monolith is definitely “extreme” though. The one black person who commented on my pants complimented them. Again, not everyone sees the American flag and assumes you are a racist trump supporter. That is crazy.

To a degree, yes. But definitely not like before WHILE he was in office. There’s no doubt Trump stained the flag while in office. Which is why I gave the example of my shorts and not wanting to wear them for fear of association of being a Trump supporter. Because while I’m proud to be American for some reasons, I was definitely more ashamed than proud when Trump was sitting. Now I will have to wait at least 4 years (hopefully longer) to wear my **** the president shirt from Supreme again but I’m OK with wearing a small American flag detail on my clothes.

If you look back at 9/11 for example, I remember everyone being pretty patriotic and repping the flag. Just thinking Diplomatic Immunity era and Santana decked out head to toe in American flags. We were United against a foreign enemy, now we are divided domestically against a man whose a hero to half the country and a villain to the other.

So rocking the flag has become taboo to a degree because of Trumps association. And that’s all I’m really commenting on in this thread, because yeah I am white. No disrespect to anyone I’m just stating this observation I’ve had about what the flag symbolizes today.

Genuinely curious how people view the flag vs the holiday. Like the kneel for the anthem movement, is that protest extended to the flag?
I have pocket tee w/ a small custom flag on it that I don't put much thought into b/c it's fairly small unique design. However, up until middle school; which was majority of conservative middle/upper middle class white school I don't recall feeling a specific way about the flag. My homeroom teacher use to kick me out for not saying the pledge. The school was fairly patriotic, so I started associating American patriotism w/ racism, & when Obama ran for office those ppl exposed themselves for the racist I was groomed too assumed them to be.

Here, I made you a befitting avi:
1625590915276.png

You continue to sound pathetic as u continue to disalign yourself from "our culture".

Appreciate you sharing your POV. Interesting opinions you offer, but not fact. You passing your opinion on to black people as a monolith is definitely “extreme” though. The one black person who commented on my pants complimented them. Again, not everyone sees the American flag and assumes you are a racist trump supporter. That is crazy.

Like I said, we have different realities man.

It's cool.

Do your thing with your flag.

Black ppl were never out here with the flag like that, before, during, or after Trump. Only time I remember non-biscuit boys with American flags is when the big pony country Polos were poppin in like 08-12. Outside of that, nah.
I used to rock red/white/blue air forces with the same color Ecko shirt in 2003 proudly, but I can't honestly ever wearing it intentionally on July 4th. The only I focused on wearing on a certain day was green because I didn't want to get into a fist match with my boys.:lol:

I have pocket tee w/ a small custom flag on it that I don't put much thought into b/c it's fairly small unique design. However, up until middle school; which was majority of conservative middle/upper middle class white school I don't recall feeling a specific way about the flag. My homeroom teacher use to kick me out for not saying the pledge. The school was fairly patriotic, so I started associating American patriotism w/ racism, & when Obama ran office those ppl exposed themselves for the racist I was groomed too assumed them to be.

Here, I made you a befitting avi:
1625590915276.png
Why didn't you underline the last question though. Like I said... No reading comprehension. If you pick and choose what you want to pay attention to and can't put the statements in context.. Again YOU are part of the problem and the reasons racism persists.

Back
Top Bottom