How did you handle your college speech class? vol..stage fright

Co-sign on volunteering first. Thats what I always did. Basically so you couldnt get compared to anyone else so you set the bar, and also just to get it out the way. Teachers usually cut the first person good slack also.

Co-sign on volunteering first. Thats what I always did. Basically so you couldnt get compared to anyone else so you set the bar, and also just to get it out the way. Teachers usually cut the first person good slack also.

I took agumentation and debate class. First speech I was nervous as hell and was stuttering.  Practice in front of a mirror. If you ain't first watch others that helps. You'll gain confidence after the first speech. I know I did and by the final speech at the end of the semester I killed it. Confidence was all there and did my thing.

It was something about what's more important for US companies: find ways to reduce waste and save the environment or getting money and help the economy more or less. I was on that money side of the argument and opened up my speech with WU-Tang Clan's "Cash, Rules, Everything, Around, Me C.R.E.A.M. Get the money Dollar, dollar bill y'all." Also threw in Tony Montana's "In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. "

At the end of my speech I hit the class with one of these: Except I rephrased it as "What has two thumbs and team you should vote for?"

Snapped my fingers and Insert (name) and Team.

Got props from my professor on my use of quotes to strengthen my argument and got an A.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I took agumentation and debate class. First speech I was nervous as hell and was stuttering.  Practice in front of a mirror. If you ain't first watch others that helps. You'll gain confidence after the first speech. I know I did and by the final speech at the end of the semester I killed it. Confidence was all there and did my thing.

It was something about what's more important for US companies: find ways to reduce waste and save the environment or getting money and help the economy more or less. I was on that money side of the argument and opened up my speech with WU-Tang Clan's "Cash, Rules, Everything, Around, Me C.R.E.A.M. Get the money Dollar, dollar bill y'all." Also threw in Tony Montana's "In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. "

At the end of my speech I hit the class with one of these: Except I rephrased it as "What has two thumbs and team you should vote for?"

Snapped my fingers and Insert (name) and Team.

Got props from my professor on my use of quotes to strengthen my argument and got an A.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

What I did was always be at least the top 5 to go up first, you get graded easier, less stress than if you have to wait until the 2nd day.

Also was pretty funny, I kinda messed up on the topic for the first speech, my speech ended up turning pretty wild
laugh.gif
, after doing that speech it wasn't hard to do any other speech in that class.

My class was very supportive also, was a pretty friendly environment.

But the thing that really helped me was that no one else gives a care about your speech, don't think of that as a negative, when your sitting down listening to other speeches you feel the same way
tongue.gif

just get it done, that's it.

We had persuasive speeches, I thought they were fun, though make sure your timing is right I went on for 15 minutes for a speech that was only supposed to be 5
happy.gif

Pretty much don't be scared about messing up, just keep going and relax.

What I did was always be at least the top 5 to go up first, you get graded easier, less stress than if you have to wait until the 2nd day.

Also was pretty funny, I kinda messed up on the topic for the first speech, my speech ended up turning pretty wild
laugh.gif
, after doing that speech it wasn't hard to do any other speech in that class.

My class was very supportive also, was a pretty friendly environment.

But the thing that really helped me was that no one else gives a care about your speech, don't think of that as a negative, when your sitting down listening to other speeches you feel the same way
tongue.gif

just get it done, that's it.

We had persuasive speeches, I thought they were fun, though make sure your timing is right I went on for 15 minutes for a speech that was only supposed to be 5
happy.gif

Pretty much don't be scared about messing up, just keep going and relax.

The most important thing for me when giving a speech is having total confidence and knowledge in whatever your speech is about.
If you half +$@ you research you finna give a half assed speech and look like a total fool.

So for me, knowledge of the subject was the first thing to get out the way.
NEVER EVER EVER read off your notes word for word. People who do this tend to give the most boring speeches in the history of undergraduate studies. Who wants to be that person?

Lastly realize that all your classmates were probably just as nervous as you are so just be easy and realize that their swag aint on your level (if you have no swag then just drop out of school right now).

The most important thing for me when giving a speech is having total confidence and knowledge in whatever your speech is about.
If you half +$@ you research you finna give a half assed speech and look like a total fool.

So for me, knowledge of the subject was the first thing to get out the way.
NEVER EVER EVER read off your notes word for word. People who do this tend to give the most boring speeches in the history of undergraduate studies. Who wants to be that person?

Lastly realize that all your classmates were probably just as nervous as you are so just be easy and realize that their swag aint on your level (if you have no swag then just drop out of school right now).

Just realize that no one really cares about what you're talking about and no one is paying much attention.

Just realize that no one really cares about what you're talking about and no one is paying much attention.

Originally Posted by bilbo07

man for our final we had to give a 5 minute speech with no note cards or anything. when i went up to give my presentation on high def televisions i got so shook my knee started twitching. so as im giving my speech while my knee is doing the harlem shake i start to notice these two girls in the back of the class whispering to each other and pointing at my knee. once i saw that i went into a straight panic and go blank. at this point i was only about 3 minutes into my speech so to save face i try to turn it into a q and a session for the last 2 mins. i ended up getting a D in the class and refuse to retake it.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by bilbo07

man for our final we had to give a 5 minute speech with no note cards or anything. when i went up to give my presentation on high def televisions i got so shook my knee started twitching. so as im giving my speech while my knee is doing the harlem shake i start to notice these two girls in the back of the class whispering to each other and pointing at my knee. once i saw that i went into a straight panic and go blank. at this point i was only about 3 minutes into my speech so to save face i try to turn it into a q and a session for the last 2 mins. i ended up getting a D in the class and refuse to retake it.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

just say your piece.. who the *%#@ are these people to judge you anyway? that's real @@$+.. once you understand that you'll have no problem speaking in front of most people.

Will do.
Never took a speech class in college. Had one freshman year of HS. Boy was I nervous the first time up. Too many hot girls in that class 
embarassed.gif

i don't get it.. i don't think that's wrong.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

just say your piece.. who the *%#@ are these people to judge you anyway? that's real @@$+.. once you understand that you'll have no problem speaking in front of most people.

Will do.
Never took a speech class in college. Had one freshman year of HS. Boy was I nervous the first time up. Too many hot girls in that class 
embarassed.gif

i don't get it.. i don't think that's wrong.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

qft. Had to do persuavive & informative speeches. No one cared about anyone else speech. Hell, most people didn't even show up on days they weren't presenting. Just focus on the wall or clock in front of you while you are presenting, and make occasional eye contact with the professor to get those points and you should be good. I hate presenting, reading out loud, or doing any real vocal activities in classrooms and got a A in speech (
pimp.gif
)

qft. Had to do persuavive & informative speeches. No one cared about anyone else speech. Hell, most people didn't even show up on days they weren't presenting. Just focus on the wall or clock in front of you while you are presenting, and make occasional eye contact with the professor to get those points and you should be good. I hate presenting, reading out loud, or doing any real vocal activities in classrooms and got a A in speech (
pimp.gif
)

If you have to do an informative speech just choose something you know well and talking about it should just come natural. Just try to choose something you know the audience can relate to and don't worry about them judging you because chances are they'll be just as nervous during their speech

If you have to do an informative speech just choose something you know well and talking about it should just come natural. Just try to choose something you know the audience can relate to and don't worry about them judging you because chances are they'll be just as nervous during their speech

this
almost everyone else is nervous, whether they sound like they are or not, so just get up there and do what you gotta do, it usually goes a lot faster than you think

i HATE speeches by the way 
laugh.gif

this
almost everyone else is nervous, whether they sound like they are or not, so just get up there and do what you gotta do, it usually goes a lot faster than you think

i HATE speeches by the way 
laugh.gif

I did what I had to do. First off, I took a deep breath and told myself that I was going to nail it. When I was looking around at my peers, nobody was even listening. I saw so many people doodling, dozing off to space and some were just texting there friends.

Just be yourself and think that everybody's your friend and they want to listen to you.

I did what I had to do. First off, I took a deep breath and told myself that I was going to nail it. When I was looking around at my peers, nobody was even listening. I saw so many people doodling, dozing off to space and some were just texting there friends.

Just be yourself and think that everybody's your friend and they want to listen to you.

GL OP I have some public speaking fright as well...I still try to combat it to this day. Practice makes perfect though. All you gotta do is cough the @!$%+ inside you out.

GL OP I have some public speaking fright as well...I still try to combat it to this day. Practice makes perfect though. All you gotta do is cough the @!$%+ inside you out.

You shouldnt be nervous if you are confident in what you are going to talk about. Realize that you did the research and you wont be saying something stupid or wrong. Also you should realize in the college classroom 70% of the students probably arent paying attention to what you are saying. The only person you have to worry about is the teacher so just remember to do whatever they taught you.

Back
Top Bottom