++Houston Texans Thread Offseason 2016++ Pre-Season @ Dallas

Nate Washington and Whitney Mercilius are day to day.

Kareem is going through concussion protocol. I was wondering why I didn't see him after awhile.

Shorts has a shoulder injury, but they haven't said exactly what it is.

From ESPN.com

Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer

What I've learned in my four years living in Houston is that this city is used to sports heartbreak.

It's also been an incredibly tolerant city when it comes to the most recent iteration of the NFL -- the Texans had a wait list for season tickets even after a 2-14 season in 2013. For the Texans' entire existence, they've only ever come close to being a real contender. They've had four winning seasons ever, the best when they went 12-4 in 2012, only to be crushed by the New England Patriots twice -- once in the regular season and once in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Bill O'Brien's debut season in which he went 9-7 prompted optimism from fans who were pleasantly surprised by the seven-game turnaround. They never expected to hit a franchise low -- down 42-0 after three quarters.

Anger is brewing in Houston.

That anger was best encapsulated by Sean Pendergast, who hosts the Texans post-game show on Sports Radio 610 in Houston and writes columns for the Houston Press, a local magazine and website. It was an impassioned monologue and you can read the whole thing here.

Some excerpts:

"Bill O’Brien said his goal during Hard Knocks was for this team to stop being the almost team. We almost made the play. We almost made the tackle. By the way I’m not saying anything that Bill O’Brien didn’t just say at the podium right now. Bill O’Brien said he did a bad job of coaching. They’re not the almost team anymore. They were the ‘not even close team’ today."

"Ryan Mallett has one speed. Ryan Mallett throws the ball like he’s trying to impress girls at the beach. He’s got a 95 mile an hour fastball and that’s it. And a lot of times it was skipping to guy’s feet at the game today."

"...while on the schedule it looks like they lost a couple of real heartbreaker close games at the beginning of the year by 7 points. This team has scored 10 touchdowns this year, which is a problem unto itself, six of those touchdowns have come in the 4th quarter while their down by double digits. These are empty stats."

"How is it that you have NFL players and none of them can get open? Not a single one can get open. Are the Texans the only team in the NFL that have two defensive backs on every receiver? Is the other team playing with 16 guys? I need to know. They’re bad on offense."

"They’re bad on defense. Kyle Shanahan was playing chess out there today and Romeo Crennel was playing Candyland."

"(There are) foundation problems with this team that tell me that this stuff is not getting solved anytime soon. And I’ll tell you what they are right now…It’s these names: DeVier Posey, Keshawn Martin, DJ Swearinger, Brandon Williams, Sam Montgomery, Trevardo Williams, Xavier Su’a-Filo, CJ Fiedorowicz, Louis Nix, Tom Savage. Those are players who were drafted from the 2nd through 4th round in the years 2012 through 2014. The only one that gets on the field for this team anymore is CJ Fiedorowicz."

"You are the fans. You spend a lot of money on this team. You sell this place out. And that was an embarrassment today. That was pathetic today.""

Last edited:
^Boggles my mind too. Maybe they have crappy scouts or something, whatever it is, it needs to be fixed.

I'll be heated if the Texans lose this game to a Luck-less Colts. That would be such a disastrous loss.

Last edited:
Texans scratch Cecil Shorts, Nate Washington, Akeem Dent, Quintin Demps, Greg Mancz, Jonathan Grimes, Kourtnei Brown

My brother and I sold our tickets so we could watch the Astros. No shame.

Hope neither team needs the Kermit pic

**** this team. Total joke and pathetic excuse for a franchise. Ya'll watched the game. Anything else that needs to be said was already said on twitter.

I'm with you Peep, **** this team :lol:

Jayson Braddock basically said BOB has already lost the team :lol:

does anyone have tickets for the next home game for sale?

They couldn't even beat a 40-year old quarterback who was in the hospital all week with a IV in his system

^That's cause this team is pathetic, incompetent, and overall a bunch of goofs. Defense makes a great stand, then causes a penalty, then lets then go right down the field.

Just to comment on a specific play, Hoyer should've felt the rush, but also, he should have been protected. I think that was Derek Newton that was blocking a guy that was already getting blocked. HE let Hoyer get crushed like that.

Foster's catches out were backfield were appreciated. That was missing before, too bad they were wasted in a loss.

Last edited:
Hoyer named starter for next game.

View media item 1741732
We got what we wanted by BOB giving Mallett a chance to start, now we know we don't have a QB. If they don't draft a QB in the first round, **** this ******* team.

Rick Smith needs to be gone. The front office needs to be gutted from top to bottom.

Last edited:
Before the game I was hearing people questioning if Mallett was hurt again (like after the Cleveland game last year). I believed it last year, but this year, nope. No way. His throws that head towards your knees and feet are purely mechanics.

From ESPN

HOUSTON -- Texans outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney made an eye-popping tackle on Colts running back Frank Gore early in Thursday night's game.

For much of the rest of it, he was hindered by a sprained ankle, which limited Clowney to only 52 percent of the Texans' defenisve snaps. On Friday in the locker room, Clowney was seen wearing a walking boot.

It's no cause for alarm though.

"I just saw him just now before I walked in here, and he seemed to be doing well," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "I think you guys probably saw he had a boot on, but that’s just precautionary. He likes to go play pick-up hoop and things like that. Going to try to avoid doing that this weekend."

Elsewhere on the injury front, the Texans offense could get back receiver Cecil Shorts, who dislocated his shoulder against the Atlanta Falcons. O'Brien said Shorts has a better chance than receiver Nate Washington to return for the Texans' Week 6 contest against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Washington suffered a hamstring injury in the first half against the Falcons.

Two other players O'Brien labeled day-to-day were running back Alfred Blue and guard Oday Aboushi, who has turf toe.

The good news for the Texans is that their next game isn't for nine more days. So while they didn't have much time to recover before Thursday's game, they'll get some time to rest, starting with this weekend.

Lmaoooooo at least that lets you know Texans players aren't aloot to what's said about them, whether from fans or the media.

Texans pluck defensive tackle from Bears practice squad

The Texans have made an addition to their defensive line.

The team signed defensive tackle Brandon Dunn off of the Bears’ practice squad on Tuesday. He’ll join Christian Covington and Jeoffrey Pagan as a backup option up front for Houston.

Dunn played one game for the Bears this season and saw action in three games for Chicago in 2014. He recorded three tackles in those appearances.

Houston waived wide receiver Chandler Worthy to make room for Dunn on the 53-man roster, which may be a good sign for the health of Cecil Shorts and/or Nate Washington. Both veteran wideouts missed last Thursday’s loss to the Colts and the team would be down to three healthy wideouts if they can’t go against the Jaguars this weekend.

Well this is lovely.

HOUSTON -- The Texans could be without their marquee player as defensive end J.J. Watt was added to the team's injury report Saturday with an illness.

He is questionable for Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Watt is the fourth player for the Texans (1-4) to become sick this week. Receiver Jaelen Strong, cornerback A.J. Bouye and practice squad quarterback Zac Dysert all missed practices. Strong also is questionable, while Bouye is listed as probable. Watt did not miss any practices this week.

The Texans already will be without pass-rusher Jadeveon Clowney, who has a sprained ankle.

Houston has only six sacks this season, and four of them are from Watt.

Funny thing about this, if you really know Houston teams, is I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans actually pressured the QB this week. That's just how stuff works around here.

It would be pretty awesome for a number of reasons if we get embarrassed by the Jags today :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom