Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

Not quite sure about their draft selection.... they needed a QB. Clowneys upside is huge though.... Good pick guys!

Obviously we wasn't sold on manziel or Bridgewater. We would've moved up if that was the case. **** is frustrating tho.

at this point I don't eem want a qb with the 33rd pick. Bolster up the front 7 and maybe a oline or te...then look at a qb.

Wasn't expecting Clowney to take #90. I forgot who had wore 90 after Mario left, but I think it was somebody pretty insignificant :lol:

Obviously we wasn't sold on manziel or Bridgewater. We would've moved up if that was the case. **** is frustrating tho.

at this point I don't eem want a qb with the 33rd pick. Bolster up the front 7 and maybe a oline or te...then look at a qb.

This. Repose for truth.

Wasn't expecting Clowney to take #90. I forgot who had wore 90 after Mario left, but I think it was somebody pretty insignificant :lol:

Pretty sure it was Mark Anderson :lol:
Dude came on strong at the end of the season and had like 3-4 sacks I think

I've come to that realization also that they must have not wanted Teddy that bad which is stupid dab cause I think he's gonna be good
If they take Carr :stoneface:
I'm rioting

97.... :frown:

Could we just hand out 2 #99s? :smokin

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

That would be sick :pimp:

realistically everyone thought the better quarterbacks were coming out next year so this kinda actually works out for us

Pretty sure it was Mark Anderson :lol:
Dude came on strong at the end of the season and had like 3-4 sacks I think

Nah I remember Mark Anderson, that was like 2 years ago. Dude was very good in the rotation, and I had actually wanted him re-signed back then.

*googles*

:lol: Mister Alexander wore it until he switched to 54

I really want to see Keenum succeed. Only because his o-line sucked and he had no choice but run for his life. Give and good o-line then see what he can do. JMO

Last edited:
i imagine we took sua instead of nix because we signed 2 NTs this offseason. poe and some other dude. makes it less of a need, but still a need. we DESPERATELY needed a guard though.

Not an exciting pick, but its a massive need, and I'm not mad at all.

Also, it was awesome seeing Keenum sling it around, but even with all that was against him (injuries to Foster and the line), he still went zero and 8, bringing no wins to the team. It would be great to see what he could do with a healthy team, but he definitely is a backup til further notice.

I like the pick. I see they're really trying to build in the trenches where it matters the most both offense and defense. We still need a DT

WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT C.J. FIEDOROWICZ? He was perhaps the jewel of the Hawkeyes 2010 recruiting class. CJF was rated four-stars by Rivals and the 5th best tight end in the country. He had offers from Ohio State, Wisconsin and Notre Dame to name a few. But, the Johnsburg, Illinois, native opted to stay near home and commit to an Iowa program with a history of producing NFL caliber tight ends.

He was a high school Army all-American, USA Today all-American and Chicago Tribune first team all-state player so it was no surprise he skipped red-shirting his first season on Iowa's campus. He played in all 13 of Iowa's games as a true freshman on special teams. His sophomore season ended with 16 receptions and three touchdowns. He really began to learn the offense his second year and earned five starts towards the end of 2011. His star appeared to be taking off as he ended the 2011 season with a career high four receptions in the Insight.com Bowl versus Oklahoma.

His junior season at Iowa saw a new offensive coordinator and new emphasis on the tight end. Greg Davis called CJF a tight end like he'd never had before. Greg Davis had talented athletes at Texas -- Jermichael Finley comes to mind.

With the change in offensive philosophy, Iowa's offense sputtered for most of the season, but Fiedorowicz still managed to have his best season statistically. He caught 45 passes for 433 yards, which were both career highs. He finished third on the team in both stats but collected only one touchdown. Iowa as a team had a total of seven touchdown passes in 2012. It was a team problem.

That problem was fixed last year as Fiedorowicz caught a career high six touchdown passes. He became the redzone threat Iowa fans believed he could be with his 6'6" 265 pound frame. Greg Davis used a variety of ways to get CJF into the endzone. He used his body to post up on the goal line at times and Jake Rudock also found him streaking on a drag route at times. His receptions and yards dropped from the season before but that was mainly due to the evolution of the Greg Davis offense and getting more receivers involved.

WHAT DID HE DO THAT WAS SO GREAT? Besides developing into a redzone threat, Fiedorowicz was a light offensive tackle playing tight end. When he arrived at Iowa, he'd played in a high school offense that used him a lot split out. He had to learn to block before he'd contribute and learn to block he did.

It wasn't an overnight success. It took him a year and a half to earn the coaches' trust. But his junior and senior film will show he was one of the best blocking tight ends in the nation, if not the best. He can still get better as a blocker, too, which should lead to a long NFL career. At the Senior Bowl, Phil Savage named him the best tight end and noted "he has excellent size with a proportioned body and is physical enough to continue developing as a blocker."

HOW ARE HIS PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES? He was listed as 6'7" as a high school recruit and while at Iowa. At the NFL Combine he measured just over 6'5". At 265 pounds, he's big enough to be an effective blocker as well as split wide from the line. He doesn't have blinding speed, but he has agility that will be beneficial in navigating traffic in the middle of the field.

WHAT ELSE IS THERE? The Iowa coaching staff experienced an overhaul in 2012. Kirk Ferentz hired his son to coach the offensive line. Brian Ferentz had spent the previous season coaching tight ends under Bill Belichick and Bill O'Brien with the New England Patriots. Following the 2012 season, Iowa added D.J. Hernandez to the coaching staff to coach tight ends. He's a former UCONN quarterback and the older brother of former Patriot Aaron Hernandez. In summary, Fiedorowicz has had some solid coaching on how to be an NFL caliber tight end the past two seasons.

WHAT ABOUT THE BAD? We've mentioned the speed. Fiedorowicz has never been a deep threat while at Iowa. Part of it's scheme, another part quarterback and part his own ability. Yards after the catch have never been his forte. He has better-than-average hands and can get open, but after the catch don't expect long touchdown runs.

Also, there was a long learning transition from the high school game to college. Perhaps that's unrealistic fan expectation but Fiedorowicz needed a lot of time to grasp the entire playbook. Iowa runs a pro-style offense so the transition to the next level should be easier. But you should probably expect a learning curve.

WAS THIS A GOOD DRAFT PICK? Of all of Iowa's draft prospects this year, CJF has the potential to have the longest career. He's learned how to block from one of the best offensive line coaches in the country. His solid technique and work ethic will earn him a paycheck as long as his body allows. He won't immediately lead the team in receiving yards or receptions but he will be an effective target in the redzone. If he had more speed and showed in college the ability to get more yards after the catch, he'd be a first round draft pick.

Last edited:
HELL YEAA MAN!!

Our Dline tho 
pimp.gif

Well well, looks like Smith and McNair knew what they were doing....

So the QB pick....Murray, McCarron, or Mettenberger?

Back
Top Bottom