Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

Other guys really do need to take their own lead instead of waiting on Watt to cue them in. Reed is gonna be out between 3-6 weeks, and there's no telling when Tate will be back. Sharpton will have to keep playing at a high level, and I think even Ruud and Braman will be getting more looks. I'll try to come through with some more injury updates on James, JJo, and Cody in the next few days.

This 10 day rest is much much needed.

Am I the only one excited to see what Mercilus can do as a starter?

I mean reed is a good player and all but he's been invisible most of the season. The few times Whitney was out there he was making plays, the kid has a nose for the football.

I have noticed that he sometimes makes mistakes in the run game but that's not anything that can't be fixed.

I like mercilus too.

ESP when he's coming in behind watt.

His coverage skills leave something to be desired.

I wish Cush was back, any chance if we make a deep playoff push he's back ? :nerd:

Banged-up Texans get back to work

Head coach Gary Kubiak Monday confirmed what we already knew: The Texans are going to be short-handed, especially at linebacker, heading to Tennessee this weekend. Usually the Texans have nine linebackers active, but they’ll likely only have seven available to play against the Titans, which also causes a major disruption to the special teams.

Kubiak referred to linebacker Brooks Reed’s groin injury as “significant” and reiterated what has already been reported, that “he’s going to miss some time, (at least) two weeks.”

Connor Barwin will move to Brooks’ strong-side position, while rookie top draft choice Whitney Mercilus will take over on the weak side. Inside linebacker Bradie James (hamstring) might also have to sit out, but Tim Dobbins, who missed the Detroit game with a shoulder injury, is expected to return.

Bryan Braman, who has been a stalwart on special teams, figures to make his debut at linebacker against the Titans backing up both inside slots. Barrett Rudd, the veteran picked up off waivers when Brian Cushing was hurt, contributed against the Lions and figures to play at least as big a role in the coming weeks, until Reed can play.

“We could have a rotation going both inside (linebacker) and outside,” Kubiak said.

Shaun Cody will be back in the lineup at nose tackle, which shores up the defensive line. Kubiak said he needs to keep J. J. Watt and Antonio Smith fresher and Cody’s presence frees up other reserves to spell the ends.

Cornerback Johnathan Joseph (hamstring) worked out with the trainers Monday and will be “day-to-day.” The Texans will probably wait to make a decision on him Sunday morning, assuming he can get in some practice reps this week.

Jason Babin possibly? :nerd:

No way we already tried playing him as a 3-4 and we all know how that turned out. He's one dimensional and we don't need that. I think the players we have now will be able to hold it down till Reed, James and Dobbins get back.

Tate is also supposed to be returning this Sunday, I hope we give him most the carries and let Foster rest up. Kubs gon run him into the ground man :smh:

As a situation pass rusher I would absolutely like to bring Babin in the team. We play a ton of nickel anyway so he would see the field a bunch.

I'm with you Statis, I'm sure they could utilize his only talent. We need some one other than J.J. that can rush the passer.

I actually hope that Barwin going back to his natural position, and Mercilus speed will help in that regard.

:lol: :lol: Babin in J-Ville

Texans corner Harris fined $21,000 for hit on Lions returner

Brandon Harris has been fined $21,000 for his hit on Lions punt returner Stefan Logan on Thanksgiving Day.

Logan, who didn’t signal for a fair catch on the play, was judged to be defenseless and that cost the Texans 15 yards.

But Harris said he’ll file an appeal.

“They took my whole paycheck,” Harris said. LOL

J.J. Watt too sick to practice but expected well by Sunday

Already hit hard by injuries, the Texans had to practice Wednesday without defensive end J. J. Watt, who showed up sick at Reliant Stadium and was promptly sent home. But he’s expected to be ready to go by Sunday.

“He wanted to go,” Kubiak said. “We’ve had some issues with some sick guys ever since we got back from Chicago, so the best thing is to keep them away from everybody. Hopefully he’s feeling better tomorrow and we can get back to work. I think he’ll be OK.”

Also missing practice because of injuries were linebackers Brooks Reed (groin) and Bradie James (hamstring) and offensive linemen Derek Newton (knee) and Antoine Caldwell (hamstring). Reed is definitely out for the Titans game – and probably several more – while the others are iffy.

Tate returns; Joseph might also be back
Cornerback Johnathan Joseph (hamstring) worked only with the trainers and probably won’t practice Thursday, either, head coach Gary Kubiak said. But Kubiak hasn’t yet written him off for this weekend. Asked if he thought Joseph could go against the Titans, he replied, “I think so. He ran pretty good, so that’s a step in the right direction. Hopefully he’ll take a few reps Friday and then we’re into a Sunday (game-time) decision.”

Said Joseph: “I did some running straight ahead Monday. Today I had the chance to go out and do some agility position work and I felt fine. Hopefully, (I’ll keep) moving forward and have a chance to play Sunday.”

Running back Ben Tate, who has missed the last three games with a hamstring strain, got in a full workout and will be in the mix at running back and on special teams Sunday.

“All expectations are for him to be available,” Kubiak said.

As to how many carries Tate might get, offensive coordinator Rick Dennison said: “He hasn’t played in awhile, so he’s a little rusty. We’ll just let it work itself out. We like what Justin (Forsett) does, and it’s hard not to give the ball to Arian.”

Linebacker Tim Dobbins, out against the Lions because of a shoulder problem, also practiced.

New tandem on the right side
Ryan Harris and rookie Ben Jones are the expected starters at right tackle and right guard respectively. Jones had been splitting time with Caldwell, while Harris will be subbing for Newton. The former Denver Bronco played most of the Detroit game after Newton was injured early.

“(Harris and Newton) haven’t played a lot together so that makes it tough, that’s just the way it is right now,” Kubiak said. “The good thing with Ryan is that has played a lot of football, played in a lot of big games in Denver so he’s no stranger to being put in the spot. So we’re glad we’ve got him.”

Dennison said he expects a smooth transition because of offensive line coach John Benton.

“J. B. coaches everybody the same,” Dennison explained. “They’re all hearing the same message. They’ll be fine.”

Kubiak said another rookie, Brandon Brooks, “got his feet wet” against the Lions in goal-line situations and could play a bigger role at guard in the weeks ahead.

Smith honestly appraises defense
Defensive end Antonio Smith admits he’s impressed by how the Texans have found ways to win the last two games despite surrendering 61 points and having to survive overtimes in both, but he also admitted the defense needs to get itself back on track.

“I’m proud of my boys because we keep winning,” Smith said. “But you can’t just sit back and act like the yardage didn’t happen, the touchdowns didn’t happen. A lot of the things we have not let happen this year we let happen in the last two weeks. The defense that we are, we take pride in being one of the best. We definitely want to get that fixed, get a stop. It’s pretty stressful. (It’s) an emotional rollercoaster.

“What we were hearing all week (from the fans was) ‘Man, you almost gave me a heart attack!’ But we almost gave ourselves a heart attack, too. To go from, ‘Oh, man, we’re about to win it,’ to ‘Oh, man, they’re about to kick a field goal,’ to ‘Oh, man, they missed, let’s go, let’s go, let’s go!’ And then you win the game. It’s just as emotionally straining (on the players) as it is on the fans.”

I'm very interested to see how this starting LB core does this week with everybody being shuffled around, and Sharpton making the calls...

Injuries force Texans to overhaul linebacking corps

In the NFL, opportunity knocks in the cruelest of ways. Injuries, inevitable in this violent game, open doors. Brooks Reed walked through one as a rookie last year when Mario Williams tore a pectoral muscle. Now with Reed off to rehab because of a severe groin strain suffered in Detroit, another rookie, Whitney Mercilus, crosses the same threshold.

The Texans’ top draft choice in 2012 will make his first start against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday at the expense of the Texans’ second pick in 2011.

“We’ve told (Mercilus) it’s his time and he has to come through for us,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said Thursday. “It’s a lot like what we told Brooks last year. ‘You’ve got to go out and play — and play well.’ ”

Mercilus knows what’s expected of him.

“Somebody goes down, the next man has to be ready, and I feel like I’m ready,” he said. “I know I’ve got to get things right this week.”

In 2011, Reed was the starter from the sixth game on and responded with a season that made Williams expendable. Phillips insisted there’s no reason why Mercilus, who delivered one of the greatest seasons in college football history as a junior defensive end at Illinois a year ago with 16 sacks and nine forced fumbles, can’t step up as impressively as Reed did.

“He played about 70 plays (in Detroit) after getting some good experience earlier,” Phillips said. “He realizes the speed of the (NFL) game now, and he’s very talented.”

But the high-profile rookie isn’t the only linebacker on the spot as the Texans launch their final playoff push. In just his third game since returning from a 12-month hiatus brought about by a torn quad tendon, third-year pro Darryl Sharpton will find himself having to make the defensive calls in Nashville with Bradie James slowed by a hamstring injury and Tim Dobbins dealing with a shoulder issue.

“They’ve been preparing me,” Sharpton said. “Every week I’ve been getting more and more responsibility. I feel I had a good week of practice, and I’ve got another day to go. I’m confident; I’m comfortable. I’ve (called defenses) before, and I’ve played linebacker my whole life. I’m ready to handle it. It’s a great honor that (Phillips) has bestowed that kind of responsibility on me.

“We’re facing some adversity right now, but we’ve got guys we can plug in to reload. We can handle it.”

Clutch initiation
And Barrett Ruud, himself a Texan for less than two months, might also start in place of James. If Ruud gets the call, the Texans will have had a complete turnover at linebacker since they played the New York Jets on “Monday Night Football” on Oct. 8.

That was the game in which Brian Cushing went down with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. The defense has been mostly trending in the wrong direction ever since, but the situation turned critical on Thanksgiving when James and Reed were injured — after Dobbins had been unable to answer the bell.

Howver, Ruud showed his mettle by breaking up consecutive passes to tight end Brandon Pettigrew with less than two minutes left in regulation that, had they been completed, would have put the Lions in Texans territory and homing in on winning-field-goal range. On the second, Ruud literally reached in and pried the ball from Pettigrew’s hands.

Ruud at the ready
“It’s tough to prepare when you don’t know if you’re going to play or not,” said the eight-year veteran, who might have been the last Texan to leave the stadium Thursday because he was holed up studying video of the Titans, a team he started nine games for in 2011. “But there’s no worse feeling than to get your number called and feel like you haven’t done enough to get ready. I assumed I was going to play at some point, so I prepared all week like I was going to play.”

Of his emergency heroics, Ruud said: “That first (pass) was pretty easy, just a shallow route, and we went for the ball at the same time. The second one down the middle was a little tougher, one of the tougher ones you face as a linebacker.”

Ruud had been a stalwart at Tampa Bay, starting all but one game from 2007 through 2010 and leading the Buccaneers in tackles each of those seasons. He signed with Seattle in April hoping “to jump-start my career there” but was hindered by both the lockout and a training camp shoulder injury. He was traded to New Orleans in August “for insurance” because of how “Bountygate” had decimated the defense there. The Texans signed him two days after the Saints released him.

He came to Houston having never played a down in a 3-4 defensive scheme. It concerned him at first, but he has found the adjustment to be surprisingly smooth.

“Wade’s version of the 3-4 isn’t as different as I thought it would be,” Ruud said, “so the transition hasn’t been as tough as I expected. It’s structured a lot like some of the stuff I’ve done, especially in coverage, and it’s real player-friendly. You can learn it quick. It’s just a matter of getting the reps, getting comfortable with the players around you.”

Barwin switches roles
Sharpton called Ruud “a really cool dude. We get along. We’ve developed some chemistry.”

Save for Cushing, the injured linebackers will all return at some point — certainly in time for the postseason — but team dynamics may have changed by then. The Texans weren’t playing well defensively when the latest dominos fell, so should the temporary changes prove positive, they could become permanent. While there’s an unwritten NFL rule that players don’t lose their jobs because of injuries, it’s frequently broken.

Ironically, Reed’s going down could impact Connor Barwin, who switches outside linebacker spots, the most. He’s in the last year of his contract and was already struggling to get his sack numbers up to where they need to be for maximum negotiating leverage, although Phillips noted, “I’ve had guys playing ‘Sam’ who led the league in sacks.” Of course, no one wants to address those kinds of big-picture ramifications now, with the Texans front and center in the Super Bowl race.

Growing up fast
Barwin insisted he’s embracing the change despite the greater challenges and potential consequences.

“There’s a little more studying involved,” he said. “I’ve got to look at different (receivers’) routes than I do at ‘Will.’ It’s really more of playing a true linebacker. ‘Will’ is more of a defensive end position. It’s fun rushing the passer on every single play, but you do more different things throughout the game at ‘Sam.’ ”

Some have questioned why Mercilus, given his lofty draft status, didn’t contribute more early. Phillips admitted he simply wasn’t ready. Again, Mercilus played on the D-line in college.

“I’ve still got a lot to learn,” Mercilus said, “but I’ve improved my game, and now it’s time to go. I’ve got to grow up fast and take advantage of the opportunity.”

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Last edited:
I been saying for a min we need to play Lestar more. :smokin I liked what he showed that Broncos game before he got hurt.

Man we really need to show up for this pats game, it could be huge if we end up with the same record.

we need that tie breaker.

Next week is pretty big, it'll be another primetime showcase to show everyone what we're made of. Although if we're starting 26 or 20. It'll be lights out for our defense, unless we get any sort of pressure.

JJoe should be back.

He run thrus at practice I think they held him out for this game.

None of those Pats WR scare me.

What's going to hurt is Cush out because Wes likes to work the middle of that field and Cush gone is coverage.

We have to play clock management, help our defense with our offense, this is a very winnable game.

Foster , Tate and Forsett :pimp:

Dre should give that secondary the fits.

Brandon Harris played great at the nickel. It's only when he had to go out wide that he got abused. He should strictly be the guy that guards players in the slot.

JJoe, Reem, and B. Harris :smokin

Kinda glad bum *** mccain got hurt so Harris could show what he's got. Roc was straight **** he couldn't stop any route.

If JJoe can't go tho then we really have a problem.

I hope this team goes out there and punches the pats in the mouth. They can't afford to be exposed on national tv like they were against the Pack.

Ehhh...liked Roc & Harris getting reps, but don't like McCain getting hurt cause he has made plays here and there (even though he's gotten worked the last 2 games).

This backfield man :pimp:, HAS to be the best in the league. All 3 bring something different, but Tate better step it up before the Texans make one of those financial moves...

The pass rush was very good until a lot of backups came in. Smith's sack followed by his extended celebration :rofl: :pimp: Definitely a big game next week. I would rather take this win against the Pats than have to continuously play the Colts/Vikes/Colts.

i hope we play out the season until the last game. i'd prefer to keep the colts out of the playoffs.

i hope we play out the season until the last game. i'd prefer to keep the colts out of the playoffs.

To an extent I agree.

But I would love for Indy to go to Denver and knock them out.

As it stands it's Indy / Pit with the bengals on the outside looking in.

As it stands if we are sweep the colts they finish 10-6

It's a 3 way race between the Bungals, Steelers and Colts.

We've had recent success against all 3 teams, pit scares me cause they've been hot.

It's going to be Steelers / Colts though in the playoffs, I'm pretty sure of it.

I assume Us and Pats with the top 2 seeds.

Colts to Denver and Steelers to Ravens

Interesting :nerd: to say the least.

JJ Watt broke the record for PD in a season by a D lineman, previously held by Reggie White. :smokin

He's also the first player in NFL history with 15 sacks and 15 Pass deflections. :smokin

All this from playing the 5 technique in a 3-4 D. He's a very special player an I'm glad he's on our side.

He also leds the team in Tackles and TFL. :smokin

Luck's a good dude and all, but i have no love for the Colts. Irsay = Dan Gilbert to me, so they can all go to hell.

Standford Routt :rolleyes Let's see if being back in Houston and being on an 11-1 team can re-motivate him. He has all the money he can handle, but not the success, so here's a perfect time to get it.
All I know is as a Texan, his uniform "swag" will be on point :pimp:

Last edited:
I wonder how Wades gameplan is gonna be on Monday. I'd much rather see Routt who we jus picked up off the street than to watch Ball get exposed by Brady.

Tate shoulda got more carries last game. Hopefully he gets more against the pats, he was running hard the few times he got in. L

ooked like vintage Tate :smokin

Watt got credited with a sack from the last game vs the Titans

Bringing his total to 16.5 on the season
pimp.gif

One sack behind Aldon Smith's 17.5

laugh.gif
 at Watt always posing and making funny faces in pics at the game

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom