HIGH-END DESIGNER SHOE/CLOTHES/ACCESSORIES/WAYW THREAD

I think CH is one of those brands who have always had a following, I have friends who love their jewelry and have been on it for a minute. Now they just have their extra juice cause celebs been on it heavier lately.

gucci x crunchyroll

1620328715769.png

1620328743515.png

1620328755052.png

1620328764503.png

1620328779138.png

Leather in the first image is crazy.
Reminds me of an Al Wissam jacket I had back in the day.
Shorts are buns.

no way is it the best right now and a lot of hate are due to really little originality and you can even see he’s milking one design of sneakers because nothing else is selling well and even that designs copied from nb 550

there are honestly more pieces id wear from dior, slp, celine, acne, aime, visvim, gucci, brunello, mcqueen, prada, etc…

dont let the ig hype fool yah, lv pieces are mostly for stuntin and a lot of then arent even combined with other clothes well which probably just help the piece stand out more

edit: dude also has this phenomenon like kanye and travis scott though his is more of a remnant of hangin with kanye so he gets more hate

exit2: theres also some racial undertones as well

Last edited:
no way is it the best right now and a lot of hate are due to really little originality and you can even see he’s milking one design of sneakers because nothing else is selling well and even that designs copied from nb 550

there are honestly more pieces id wear from dior, slp, celine, acne, aime, visvim, gucci, brunello, mcqueen, prada, etc…

dont let the ig hype fool yah, lv pieces are mostly for stuntin and a lot of then arent even combined with other clothes well which probably just help the piece stand out more

edit: dude also has this phenomenon like kanye and travis scott though his is more of a remnant of hangin with kanye so he gets more hate

exit2: theres also some racial undertones as well
The Kanye backstory seems preeminent. In Hypebeast.com commentary section at least.

My thing with Virgil is that he doesn’t seem to have any range. The heavy graphics/text, the DIY look, and the loud colors were all fresh at one point but he’s primarily worked at his own young streetwear brand, the biggest sportswear brand, and one of the oldest luxury houses in the world and he’s basically done the exact same thing at all 3. It’s no doubt been very successful for him and the brands but there’s something that bothers me about forcing the same vision at 3 different brands that all have vastly different markets and histories.

My thing with Virgil is that he doesn’t seem to have any range. The heavy graphics/text, the DIY look, and the loud colors were all fresh at one point but he’s primarily worked at his own young streetwear brand, the biggest sportswear brand, and one of the oldest luxury houses in the world and he’s basically done the exact same thing at all 3. It’s no doubt been very successful for him and the brands but there’s something that bothers me about forcing the same vision at 3 different brands that all have vastly different markets and histories.
LV still produces their original stuff for their core audience. Virgil just created a different lane to cater to a new younger audience. If you thought that he was going to put out more "classic" pieces, then you guessed wrong. Thats not why they hired him and made him the head honcho.

Yep. Like LV lifestyle or some!
His touch is habit uninspired n on the nose though.
Same with the Nike stuff.
/semi-hating...

Not that I’ve seen it much in here, but I always chuckle when I see folks online talmbout ViRgIL iS dEsTrOyInG Lv!!

No he isn’t. They’re doing just fine. Sure, some stuff may not cater to certain audiences, but isn’t that literally EVERY brand? And as already mentioned, their more classic stuff is still readily available. It’s all about choices.

And if we really want to keep it funky, a lot of the hate stems from a black man being at the helm (not saying anyone in here, but in general). But that’s a convo for another day.

I may be wrong, but I think the designers individual POV is what these companies want. Looking at RAF/CK, and SLP/Celine I’ve seen have repeated themes from the same lead designer.

I may be wrong, but I think the designers individual POV is what these companies want. Looking at RAF/CK, and SLP/Celine I’ve seen have repeated themes from the same lead designer.
Oh no doubt LV and Nike knew exactly what they were getting and like I said it’s worked out really well for them. And I’m definitely not saying he’s ruined these brands as they are as hyped as ever. All I’m saying is that he’s had opportunities to really try different things but he seems to always fall back on the same things. Heavy heavy streetwear influence, random lines of text, disjointed graphics, boxy cuts, and neon accents. And the thing is that he's clearly a great designer: the quotes, the neon accents, the weird mash-ups like his cowboy boots, and the DIY aesthetic were all really fresh and exciting when he pretty much singlehandedly made them all mainstream.

I like to think of it like this. If I hired the best architect/home designer in the world to build a bunch of houses and I ended up with houses in Miami Beach, the Swiss Alps, and NYC that were more or less the same house with the same features, I'd still be disappointed no matter how nice the house is.

Oh no doubt LV and Nike knew exactly what they were getting and like I said it’s worked out really well for them. And I’m definitely not saying he’s ruined these brands as they are as hyped as ever. All I’m saying is that he’s had opportunities to really try different things but he seems to always fall back on the same things. Heavy heavy streetwear influence, random lines of text, disjointed graphics, boxy cuts, and neon accents. And the thing is that he's clearly a great designer: the quotes, the neon accents, the weird mash-ups like his cowboy boots, and the DIY aesthetic were all really fresh and exciting when he pretty much singlehandedly made them all mainstream.

I like to think of it like this. If I hired the best architect/home designer in the world to build a bunch of houses and I ended up with houses in Miami Beach, the Swiss Alps, and NYC that were more or less the same house with the same features, I'd still be disappointed no matter how nice the house is.

I understand, and maybe things are different in fashion but I’m not seeing why it should be vs other product disciplines. Let’s take your builder theory since I do have experience in that business:

You are a builder. You might care about the ‘art and design’ piece of the business-a lot. But more importantly you also care about your family and maximizing your income stream and lowering your risk. So you need capital correct? So whether your funding these projects completely yourself (unlikely) or to minimize risk (something goes wrong, bye bye income stream, savings and maybe family LOL) you get loans and business partners. Who naturally would like their money back plus profit at the end of this venture.

So if you have one particular home design (and looking into it, the locations you described building a home, which would be a $17-$20 million dollar listing and a $12 million investment which I think isn’t applicable to a mass produced brand like LV, so let’s say a $1 million dollar listing which is more ‘common’) which has proved to be wildly successful and profitable.

So in this the space of higher end homes, depending on land/construction costs (production and showroom operating expenses in LV case for comparison) one might want a ‘sure thing’ from a design perspective-so if your $1 million dollar AZ home connected with buyers, you would be very well served from a business POV to repeat a lot of those architectural plans with modifications of course across different markets because it’s successful, and as a builder, you would have experience with those themes and subsequently can find/buy/build with those similar material finishes and get a consistent result. (Sale of item, which at the end of this process, is all you want when the bank/investors calls about the capital it loaned you to start these projects-during that project process you try to place the ‘art and design’ aspect in, but in the end of the day, your building higher end homes to sell, and if that one design connects with the buyer-your company, which includes your business partners-are going to do what’s best for those invested. Which is rinse and repeat.

I agree that innovation is important, but these outcomes are pretty predictable due to a number of factors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom